Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cjm66
    • By cjm66 14th Sep 18, 2:30 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 2Thanks
    cjm66
    0 WOW
    Sykes- Chasing good housekeeping bond.
    • 14th Sep 18, 2:30 PM
    0 WOW
    Sykes- Chasing good housekeeping bond. 14th Sep 18 at 2:30 PM
    Hoping that someone has some bright ideas. It's now 4 weeks since we returned from a Sykes cottages holiday. As requested I paid a 200 good housekeeping bond by bank transfer a couple of weeks before the holiday. It was supposed to be returned 2 weeks ago. It hasn't and we've heard nothing. The property was left in a better state than when we arrived, so no problem there. Calls to Sykes have got me no-where. They claim it is nothing to do with them and is about the contract between the owner and I. They have tried to contact the owner but have had no response. I only have contact details of the caretakers and Sykes say they cannot give me the owner's details due to the data protection act. Other than starting a small claims court aimed at Sykes, I don't know what else to do. I told them a week ago that that is what I would have to do and they said only if a solicitor instructed them would they disclose the owners details.

They are still managing the property and the good housekeeping bond is now 500!
Page 1
    • redpete
    • By redpete 16th Sep 18, 12:02 AM
    • 4,275 Posts
    • 3,801 Thanks
    redpete
    • 16th Sep 18, 12:02 AM
    • 16th Sep 18, 12:02 AM
    Hoping that someone has some bright ideas. It's now 4 weeks since we returned from a Sykes cottages holiday. As requested I paid a 200 good housekeeping bond by bank transfer a couple of weeks before the holiday. It was supposed to be returned 2 weeks ago. It hasn't and we've heard nothing. The property was left in a better state than when we arrived, so no problem there. Calls to Sykes have got me no-where. They claim it is nothing to do with them and is about the contract between the owner and I. They have tried to contact the owner but have had no response. I only have contact details of the caretakers and Sykes say they cannot give me the owner's details due to the data protection act.
    Originally posted by cjm66
    Sykes' attitude seems nonsense. If you paid Sykes then your contract is with them and they should sort it. If you paid owners then Sykes claiming data protection for a party with whom you have a conteact seems nonsense (and if they are legally correct it's more support to the law being an !!!.)
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
    • WeAreGhosts
    • By WeAreGhosts 16th Sep 18, 5:00 PM
    • 2,317 Posts
    • 25,085 Thanks
    WeAreGhosts
    • 16th Sep 18, 5:00 PM
    • 16th Sep 18, 5:00 PM
    This is the big issue with all holiday cottage companies these days. They all say the contract is with the cottage owner. But how can anyone have a contract with someone that they don't have any details for? In some cases, you don't even know their name.
    Someone really needs to start regulating holiday cottages.

Have you tried posting to Sykes' Facebook page? They get masses of bad comments on there.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 16th Sep 18, 8:30 PM
    • 5,212 Posts
    • 3,891 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 16th Sep 18, 8:30 PM
    • 16th Sep 18, 8:30 PM
    Have you checked if the cottage is advertised anywhere else that has the owners details. e.g facebook?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

419Posts Today

5,660Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin