Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pws52
    • By pws52 12th Sep 18, 1:41 PM
    • 170Posts
    • 790Thanks
    pws52
    0 WOW
    Best oven chips?
    • 12th Sep 18, 1:41 PM
    0 WOW
    Best oven chips? 12th Sep 18 at 1:41 PM
    I am thinking of using these but am wondering which brand to buy.
    Looking for recommendations....thank you.
Page 1
    • Sharon87
    • By Sharon87 12th Sep 18, 2:00 PM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 3,026 Thanks
    Sharon87
    • 12th Sep 18, 2:00 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 2:00 PM
    We all have different tastes. There is no one answer! Do you like steak cut? French fries? Regular cut fries? Crinkle? Curly?

Why don't you just buy a packet and find out, then next time you buy some, go for another packet. I personally buy what's on offer or own brand. I never stick with one brand!
    • curl girl
    • By curl girl 12th Sep 18, 3:11 PM
    • 3,248 Posts
    • 33,854 Thanks
    curl girl
    • 12th Sep 18, 3:11 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 3:11 PM
    Auntie Bessie.
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboard!!!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 12th Sep 18, 3:23 PM
    • 11,279 Posts
    • 30,147 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 12th Sep 18, 3:23 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 3:23 PM
    If Im buying oven chips I do like Lidls deluxe chunky chips made with Marie Piper potatoes. They are huge, you only need a few but they are delicious
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Februarycat
    • By Februarycat 12th Sep 18, 3:25 PM
    • 1,279 Posts
    • 1,730 Thanks
    Februarycat
    • 12th Sep 18, 3:25 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 3:25 PM
    Iceland do some nice Steak Cut ones £1 a bag, I have been buying them recently.
    OnePoll = £40.00 11/3/16 - £40 28/12/17
    £21.20 9/18
    Pureprofile = £19.25
    PanelOpinion = £3.90
    • robin58
    • By robin58 12th Sep 18, 5:48 PM
    • 2,661 Posts
    • 3,159 Thanks
    robin58
    • 12th Sep 18, 5:48 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 5:48 PM
    Try the ones from Aldi or Lidl.

Normal prices are from 99p for 1.5kg.

If you like coated chips- they crisp up better like roasted potatoes- both do a 1kg bag for 99p.

Lidl have just introduced a new line of steak chips. Very similar to thier coated chips but more a thicker cut but only 99p for 1.5kg.

If your are going towards more established brands go for Harry Ramsden , Aunt Bessie or Albert Bartlett. Mcain Oven chips are overrated.

With the brands look out for supermarket deals and stockup.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 12th Sep 18, 6:03 PM
    • 2,325 Posts
    • 4,534 Thanks
    dlusman
    • 12th Sep 18, 6:03 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 6:03 PM
    If Im buying oven chips I do like Lidls deluxe chunky chips made with Marie Piper potatoes. They are huge, you only need a few but they are delicious
    Originally posted by suki1964

Another vote for these
    • Sarahdol75
    • By Sarahdol75 12th Sep 18, 6:15 PM
    • 6,877 Posts
    • 91,831 Thanks
    Sarahdol75
    • 12th Sep 18, 6:15 PM
    • 12th Sep 18, 6:15 PM
    Iceland do a very nice Hash Brown chip.
    Walk 3000 miles in a year challenge 2018

835.4 miles 21.05.18
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 13th Sep 18, 4:34 PM
    • 2,283 Posts
    • 955 Thanks
    20aday
    • 13th Sep 18, 4:34 PM
    • 13th Sep 18, 4:34 PM
    McCain Rustic chips are nice; am afraid I don’t shop at Aldi, Lidl or Iceland but would imagine they have something similar and much cheaper too.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • Bacman
    • By Bacman 14th Sep 18, 8:07 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Bacman
    Why bother with oven chips? It is simple enough to chip potatoes, toss in some vegetable oil, lightly coat with salt and pepper and put onto the same baking paper and tray you'd do anyway! Make your own, it's cheaper and also you don't have any preservatives added. Healthier too.

Tip - if you look at vegetable oil's ingredients there is only one - rapeseed oil, 100%. That means you can use rapeseed oil and buy it far far cheaper than if it says it on the front of the label.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Sep 18, 8:47 AM
    • 26,057 Posts
    • 55,546 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Lots of people recommend these, but I found them very take-it-or-leave-it. My view is if you want chips, you can't beat triple fried - which means I only eat them on holiday. Lidl's Deluxe Handcooked S&V crisps capture the taste nicely.

My little niece loves curly fries, from Aldi I think.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 14th Sep 18, 9:04 AM
    • 709 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    PLRFD
    Why bother with oven chips? It is simple enough to chip potatoes, toss in some vegetable oil, lightly coat with salt and pepper and put onto the same baking paper and tray you'd do anyway! Make your own, it's cheaper and also you don't have any preservatives added. Healthier too.

Tip - if you look at vegetable oil's ingredients there is only one - rapeseed oil, 100%. That means you can use rapeseed oil and buy it far far cheaper than if it says it on the front of the label.
    Originally posted by Bacman
    I would add after chipping wash them well then pat dry before the oil.
    • Chris_M
    • By Chris_M 14th Sep 18, 1:23 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    Chris_M
    I'm very partial to Tesco Finest Chunky Oven Chips done in an Actifry for 22 minutes with a teaspoon of goose fat. A 1.5kg bag is £2.50, which is expensive but worth it.
    100% debt free
    House - bought and paid for
    Contents - bought and paid for

£12k in '12 No.198: £12,554/£12,000
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 14th Sep 18, 2:41 PM
    • 1,051 Posts
    • 2,575 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    If you like chips with a spicy coating, McCain PeriPeri chips are tasty.
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 14th Sep 18, 4:13 PM
    • 13,275 Posts
    • 41,916 Thanks
    sarah1972
    I am thinking of using these but am wondering which brand to buy.
    Looking for recommendations....thank you.
    Originally posted by pws52
    Your own brand.

Peel potatoes, chip them, rinse in water to get the starch out, coat them in whatever herb, spic, rub you want or leave them plain.

Toss in oil and bake.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Bacman
    • By Bacman 14th Sep 18, 4:49 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Bacman
    Although I mentioned above how easy it is to make your own chips, personally I use a Tefal Actifry as it uses only about a tablespoon of oil for enough chips for two people. It means little oil, so healthy chips. They taste very nice too. I add some dried herbs and salt before they cook (takes about 40 minutes in the cooker), or paprika and chilli flakes. Lovely!

The chip stirrer broke a year ago when I dropped it, and the side protectors broke their hinge a while back however unit still works fine - cost about £150 to buy the unit and i'm still using the same one I got 5 years ago, so proved a good investment.

If you want healthy chips, you won't regret getting an Actifry.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 14th Sep 18, 5:47 PM
    • 32,542 Posts
    • 20,478 Thanks
    DCFC79

I tried them once and can't say I was sold on them, they seemed to take forever (maybe because they are big) to cook.

I do like Mccain Home Chips. I also dont stick to 1 brand or style as I mix it up. I only have an oven so the french fries are either cooked too much or not enough. Mccain rustic fries are ok.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 14th Sep 18, 5:55 PM
    • 11,279 Posts
    • 30,147 Thanks
    suki1964
    Although I mentioned above how easy it is to make your own chips, personally I use a Tefal Actifry as it uses only about a tablespoon of oil for enough chips for two people. It means little oil, so healthy chips. They taste very nice too. I add some dried herbs and salt before they cook (takes about 40 minutes in the cooker), or paprika and chilli flakes. Lovely!

The chip stirrer broke a year ago when I dropped it, and the side protectors broke their hinge a while back however unit still works fine - cost about £150 to buy the unit and i'm still using the same one I got 5 years ago, so proved a good investment.

If you want healthy chips, you won't regret getting an Actifry.
    Originally posted by Bacman

Better still buy a chip pan and have proper chips once in a blue moon

We do. Maybe once a fortnight ( tonight as it happens) Proper chips and hand battered fresh fish canít be beat

We donít eat takeaways and ready meals so real fish and chips is a treat and is treated as such.

And omg itís so much nicer then oven this and oven that
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • pws52
    • By pws52 15th Sep 18, 3:58 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 790 Thanks
    pws52
    Thank you for the replies.

I do make my own chips but donít make them too often.😉

I wanted recommendations for frozen chips which I could use when I donít have fresh potatoes.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 15th Sep 18, 6:02 PM
    • 8,364 Posts
    • 6,141 Thanks
    esuhl
    Your own brand.

Peel potatoes, chip them, rinse in water to get the starch out, coat them in whatever herb, spic, rub you want or leave them plain.

Toss in oil and bake.
    Originally posted by sarah1972

Peel potatoes?! Why go to extra hassle to remove the tasty bits?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,719Posts Today

8,662Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin