Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • IPIP
    • By IPIP 29th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    • 46Posts
    • 7Thanks
    IPIP
    DIY Project. Livingroom modernisation. *Lots of pics inside*
    • 29th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    DIY Project. Livingroom modernisation. *Lots of pics inside* 29th Aug 18 at 1:31 PM
    Hi all

So I have been doing up my living room. We have a baby on the way (due date is first week of Dec) so the idea is to get this finished by then. I started this back in May and been doing it up on weekends. Yes this may possibly be the slowest DIY project known to man and the missus isn't too pleased with the timings lol.

Anyway, it all started with these picture on pinterest as a reference:

Page 1
    • IPIP
    • By IPIP 29th Aug 18, 1:34 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    IPIP
    • 29th Aug 18, 1:34 PM
    • 29th Aug 18, 1:34 PM
    This is the first picture I captured after removing old gas fireplace

After removing the ceiling plasterboard, carpet etc

• IPIP
    • By IPIP 29th Aug 18, 1:53 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    IPIP
    • 29th Aug 18, 1:53 PM
    • 29th Aug 18, 1:53 PM
    Cleaned up the place, erected stud framings and sorted out the wiring, including ceiling speakers. The idea is to have a 65" tv which will be flush to the wall with no wiring or power cable exposed. The right cabinet will house Sky, AV reciever and the Playstation. The left cabinet will house the computer and any other 2 HDMI items. There is a power socket on each cabinet and because any power cables will be blocked by the appliences in there, I went with 1 socket with extension in mind.

Theres a 12mm chipboard backing to support the TV weight and likewise the bottom is for an electric fireplace, again same chipboard to support the weight.

In the meantime, I bought one of these ceiling speakers from Ebay @ 6.5" size:

and I tested it against one of the older surround speakers that I had from Richer Sounds. It seemed that they were almost identical. So I went ahead and bought 3 more to make up the 4 ceiling speakers.

I began boarding up with a 12mm plasterboard:
    • IPIP
    • By IPIP 29th Aug 18, 2:02 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    IPIP
    • 29th Aug 18, 2:02 PM
    • 29th Aug 18, 2:02 PM
    The boarding finally finished, I started jointing, cleaning up the edges and just getting it ready before plastering

Began plastering:

and today, this is where I am at:

• TeamPlum
    • By TeamPlum 29th Aug 18, 2:32 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    TeamPlum
    • 29th Aug 18, 2:32 PM
    • 29th Aug 18, 2:32 PM
    I like it, are you a tradesman? You seem to know what you're doing.
    • IPIP
    • By IPIP 29th Aug 18, 2:47 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    IPIP
    • 29th Aug 18, 2:47 PM
    • 29th Aug 18, 2:47 PM
    I like it, are you a tradesman? You seem to know what you're doing.
    Originally posted by TeamPlum

Just a DIY'er and an avid Youtube viewer
    I'll post the cost spreadsheet later because I had strict budget in mind.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 29th Aug 18, 2:54 PM
    • 5,496 Posts
    • 7,486 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 29th Aug 18, 2:54 PM
    • 29th Aug 18, 2:54 PM
    Rank amateur, you know nothing of slow DIY projects, you should introduce your OH to mine. Youd be put in the 60 minute make over category.

4 years doing my bathroom, worked stopped about 2 years ago after peaking before baby came along but ive still yet to fit the bath panel and extractor fan..... this weekend.....

Really like the styles your going for, should look good.

What was the old ceiling hiding? I cant see why the fake drop is their?
    Don't be angry!
    • IPIP
    • By IPIP 29th Aug 18, 4:53 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    IPIP
    • 29th Aug 18, 4:53 PM
    • 29th Aug 18, 4:53 PM
    Rank amateur, you know nothing of slow DIY projects, you should introduce your OH to mine. Youd be put in the 60 minute make over category.

4 years doing my bathroom, worked stopped about 2 years ago after peaking before baby came along but ive still yet to fit the bath panel and extractor fan..... this weekend.....

Really like the styles your going for, should look good.

What was the old ceiling hiding? I cant see why the fake drop is their?
    Originally posted by spadoosh

My next project is likely to be the bathroom and my professionally slow turnaround is telling me it will take even longer than the living room.

The ceiling drop was done by me about 8 years ago, the idea was to have spot lights and speakers but the noob in me executed it poorly.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 30th Aug 18, 12:24 AM
    • 1,880 Posts
    • 2,694 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 30th Aug 18, 12:24 AM
    • 30th Aug 18, 12:24 AM
    Originally posted by spadoosh
    Agreed, a rank amateur. I've been working on my lounge for over two years now, and still haven't painted the windowsill. Kitchen is ongoing after nine months, and the less said about the garden (weed patch), the better.

OP - If you are thinking of putting a heater below the TV, please rethink the idea. Heat rises, and it won't do any good for the life of the TV.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • dickibobboy
    • By dickibobboy 30th Aug 18, 7:46 AM
    • 932 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    dickibobboy
    I love the idea of threads like these, a good thread or maybe even sub forum for project threads would be great.

It gives members chance to post what they’ve done and get ideas for their own stuff.
    Things that are free in life are great, well most of the time
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 30th Aug 18, 8:38 AM
    • 1,431 Posts
    • 2,064 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    Excellent job! I assume you put insulation back in the floor before plastering??!

Might also want to think about some LEDs around the TV frame whilst its all open - cheap and can look really nice and helps the contrast on the TV. I have warm colour changing ones.

Also...whilst I think about what I did with mine, you can get remote control sockets which really helps fully power down stuff without trying to reach plugs, plus it looks cool when you press buttons on a remote and the lights/tv/dvd etc come on.

Looking forward to seeing final result!

Might be too late but with that shape room you could also look at electric drop down projector screen and even a drop down projector for the full cinema experience (I built a cinema in my basement and it gets used weekly). Great for films/gaming.
    • vansboy
    • By vansboy 30th Aug 18, 8:17 PM
    • 6,183 Posts
    • 4,506 Thanks
    vansboy
    Not sure if they still have the thread running, but there was a section showing examples of some amazing living room make overs.

https://www.avforums.com/

VB
    • IPIP
    • By IPIP 1st Sep 18, 7:28 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    IPIP
    OP - If you are thinking of putting a heater below the TV, please rethink the idea. Heat rises, and it won't do any good for the life of the TV.
    Originally posted by FreeBear

The heater we have our eyes on is this from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075FZVD2Q/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B075FZVD2Q

Apparently the heat comes from the bottom and I am thinking since the TV is flush to the wall, it would be safe.

However, posting this now, I am slightly concerned about the 140mm debth since it won't be flush. I am concerned about the aesthetics.

I love the idea of threads like these, a good thread or maybe even sub forum for project threads would be great.

It gives members chance to post what they’ve done and get ideas for their own stuff.
    Originally posted by dickibobboy

Thanks.

Excellent job! I assume you put insulation back in the floor before plastering??!

Might also want to think about some LEDs around the TV frame whilst its all open - cheap and can look really nice and helps the contrast on the TV. I have warm colour changing ones.

Also...whilst I think about what I did with mine, you can get remote control sockets which really helps fully power down stuff without trying to reach plugs, plus it looks cool when you press buttons on a remote and the lights/tv/dvd etc come on.

Looking forward to seeing final result!

Might be too late but with that shape room you could also look at electric drop down projector screen and even a drop down projector for the full cinema experience (I built a cinema in my basement and it gets used weekly). Great for films/gaming.
    Originally posted by Ozzuk

Thanks.

I bought this from ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WOW-5V-5050-RGB-LED-Strip-Light-Colour-Changing-USB-TV-PC-Back-Mood-Lighting/252402767913?epid=1865383497&hash=item3ac4609829:m :msQ0gWYF4CQDuYQx60NJGaQ

Its LED strip light which I am planning to stick at the back of the telly.

Hmm the projector sounds great. I didn't even think of it lol but at least I can do that at a future date.

I just looked into the remote sockets and that is an amazing idea.
    I was planning to get a Samsung tablet towards the end solely to control the media but the sockets too, that would be

Not sure if they still have the thread running, but there was a section showing examples of some amazing living room make overs.

https://www.avforums.com/

VB
    Originally posted by vansboy
    Thanks, I posted in that forum too
    Last edited by IPIP; 01-09-2018 at 7:31 PM.
    • IPIP
    • By IPIP 1st Sep 18, 7:56 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    IPIP
    I think this is called curtain pelmets but I used these references:

So here is mine:

After doing up the jointing and the angel beads on both sides:

The next part is light sanding and preparing the plaster for paint (both under coat and top coat)

Here's my expenses so far:

• Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 2nd Sep 18, 9:47 AM
    • 1,431 Posts
    • 2,064 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    Here's mine, I wish I could plaster - had to get my dad in to do that. Cost for everything was around 3.5k.

https://imgur.com/a/XhYjBGS
    • IPIP
    • By IPIP 8th Sep 18, 10:06 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    IPIP
    Quick update so far:

Painting has been completed, the next part is finishing off wiring, ordered face split tiles for the two inner walls, just above the media cabinet, touch ups and proper cleaning the windows and floorboards.

• lrastriker
    • By lrastriker 14th Sep 18, 7:29 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lrastriker
    You might want to add some colors on your new home. It would look and feel great since you're going to have a baby soon. A bit of color here and there would brighten the room and will be good for the baby as well in stimulating his/her sight. My baby loves looking at our acoustic wall art and for some reason it keeps her happy. Your baby might like it too and will keep him/her occupied leaving you ample time for yourself .

Good luck on your renovation!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

86Posts Today

2,018Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin