Annual Travel Insurance - Just Been Diagnosed With Breast Cancer

Hi

Firstly, apologies for posting this in two forums, wasnt sure if the best place was the Insurance Forum or Travel Forum

My wife has just been diagnosed with breast cancer. Fortunately it looks like they've caught it early and the prognosis is good.

My query is - we have travel insurance through our bank (smile). In December last year we booked to go to Lapland in December of this year.

Our nominal renewal date is in October, and we have to pay off the balance of the holiday in September.

Currently, the doctor has told us there is no reason we cant go to Lapland with the treatment he is expecting. But my worry is, we pay off the balance in September, but then things take a turn for the worse and we cant go.

Where would we stand insurance wise? Seeing we paid the balance off after diagnosis, and coupled with the fact the 'renewal' is in October?

I know the definitive way of getting an answer is to ring the insuers, but want to know what the likely situation is before I ring them, so I'm armed with the best info!

Thanks for your help

Comments

• I would ask the insurers now - good luck to your wife - hope she is well enough to travel - but please do not take any risks with this just to save a few quid.
    Either the insurer will say yes or no to covering her - if they won't I would think you could claim for a cancellation if needs be.
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 18 August 2018 at 3:46PM
    Do get in touch with the travel insurance company (as already suggested) & ask them. I was diagnosed in 2009, but I didn't go on holiday again until 2011 as I wasn't well enough with all the treatment. Actually no one would insure me for BC at one point, then the insurance company wanted £1000's, so although the insurance company was aware of the fact that I'd had BC I just wasn't insured for it. I had however finished all my treatment at that time, but it didn't stop them wanting to know about it for the next 8 years. All the very best to you & your wife!
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I would ask the insurers now - good luck to your wife - hope she is well enough to travel - but please do not take any risks with this just to save a few quid.
    Either the insurer will say yes or no to covering her - if they won't I would think you could claim for a cancellation if needs be.

This is correct as confirmed in the link below by the financial ombudsman.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org/publications/ombudsman-news/49/annual-travel-insurance.htm
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You need to tell them now of any change in circumstance, if you don't you run the risk of them not paying out for a claim arising from anything even if unrelated to the BC because you failed to inform them. Once your wife's treatment is complete you may be able to opt to have no cover for BC which will help to keep premiums at a reasonable level.

Good luck to you both, I hope the treatment goes well and wish her a speedy recovery.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure