Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 12th Aug 18, 10:43 PM
    • 2,871Posts
    • 7,077Thanks
    ska lover
    Lone living = discounts etc
    • 12th Aug 18, 10:43 PM
    Lone living = discounts etc 12th Aug 18 at 10:43 PM
    Hi there

I am currently helping a relative to move into a flat - it is her first time living alone, and she is on benefits through ill health

Looking for ideas on how she can save money

So far I have come across:
    1. Possible 25% council tax discount
    2. Possible 'warm homes' discount, through gas or elec company

Does anyone else know of any single living discounts, a lady in this position could benefit from?

Many thanks
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
Page 1
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 12th Aug 18, 11:09 PM
    • 1,906 Posts
    • 21,089 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    • 12th Aug 18, 11:09 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 11:09 PM
    It will depend on what type of benefits, and whereabouts they are living, there is a scheme called Watersure, which can help with water costs. I'm not sure if this is available all over country though.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 12th Aug 18, 11:35 PM
    • 8,638 Posts
    • 9,852 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 12th Aug 18, 11:35 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 11:35 PM
    If over 75, free TV licence.

Single bedding sets are cheaper than doubles (but usually only come with one pillowcase).

She won't need so much crockery?

I don't think there are many discounts for singletons, hence the saying 'two can live as cheaply as one'.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 12th Aug 18, 11:56 PM
    • 4,719 Posts
    • 44,664 Thanks
    Frith
    • 12th Aug 18, 11:56 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 11:56 PM
    I!!!8217;ve been single for nearly 14 years and have only ever found the council tax discount.
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 13th Aug 18, 12:59 AM
    • 3,951 Posts
    • 6,247 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 13th Aug 18, 12:59 AM
    • 13th Aug 18, 12:59 AM
    Worth investigating a water meter. Some flats can't have one but in that case one cane be deemed to have one. In my case that nearly halved my water bill.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Aug 18, 8:02 AM
    • 16,327 Posts
    • 139,488 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 13th Aug 18, 8:02 AM
    • 13th Aug 18, 8:02 AM
    as above I have been widowed for just over 15 years and apart from the reduction in council tax and my water meter (which definitely saved me cash ) I can't think of any other discounts at all. Less food to buy I guess ,but the rest of the utilities cost the same

JackieO x
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only
    End of September totals 262.19 1st Oct 30.96
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Aug 18, 8:11 AM
    • 16,811 Posts
    • 46,419 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 13th Aug 18, 8:11 AM
    • 13th Aug 18, 8:11 AM
    Agreed - I've always been single - and have been so now for decades.

What I get is paying 75% of the Council Tax bill (as opposed to the 50% I'd be responsible for as "half of a couple") and that is it.

That's all we get - ie being charged half as much CT again as we would if we were in a couple.

Agreed to make sure there is a water meter - and there should be water savings.

Basically - we are currently still expected to pay darn nearly as much for our bills as a couple do between them - even though I read that there are 7 million of us.

Realistically - all she can do is shop around re who her suppliers will be for fuel, broadband/phone, insurance (though none of them will give single discounts either - but at least she will have made sure the bills are as low as possible).
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 13th Aug 18, 8:36 AM
    • 2,470 Posts
    • 11,390 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    • 13th Aug 18, 8:36 AM
    • 13th Aug 18, 8:36 AM
    I am a single person, on disability....

The actual benefits your relative will get will, of course, depend on her specific disabilities...make sure she gets advice to ensure she is claims everything to which she is entitled. (There is, for example, a severe disability premium if she fits the conditions which is added to ESA...but not if she is on UC)

Charity shops are a good place to get some basics...I remember I got a decent set of crockery form a charity shop -...some charity shops also sell small electrical goods....and they are terrific places for picking up a few bits and bobs to make a new flat/house seem more like a home...a vase or two on the windowsill, a picture on the wall, a pretty photoframe, it really makes a difference!

I would seriously advise getting a slowcooker...minimal cooking skill needed, and they really pay for themselves...especially if you have a freezer!...I can cook four portions of curry and freeze three....home cooking is generally speaker cheaper than ready meals (and tastier!)
    • midnight express
    • By midnight express 13th Aug 18, 9:12 AM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 3,328 Thanks
    midnight express
    • 13th Aug 18, 9:12 AM
    • 13th Aug 18, 9:12 AM
    If she is on benefits she should claim council tax reduction.
    • CIS
    • By CIS 13th Aug 18, 9:55 AM
    • 10,740 Posts
    • 6,216 Thanks
    CIS
    What I get is paying 75% of the Council Tax bill (as opposed to the 50% I'd be responsible for as "half of a couple") and that is it.
    That is a quirk of how council tax is set up - only half of the charge is based on the occupiers.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a self employed Council Tax paralegal assisting Council Tax payers. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th Aug 18, 10:17 AM
    • 26,323 Posts
    • 56,093 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I!!!8217;ve been single for nearly 14 years and have only ever found the council tax discount.
    Originally posted by Frith
    as above I have been widowed for just over 15 years
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Agreed - I've always been single - and have been so now for decades.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    As another one that pays her own way, the joys of having your own space and no-one to answer to make up for the fact that no other discounts apply. I take the view that if I use it, it's fair that I pay for it. I may not see much of an immediate return on CT compared with some, but society does.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • tboo
    • By tboo 13th Aug 18, 12:39 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 4,150 Thanks
    tboo
    If the property is unable to get a water meter then ask the supplier about Single Occupancy Tariff

Its a discount below the normal water rates for sole occupants

Some water authorities may not offer it though
    Started on the No Clutter thread - 25/01/2018
    Youre only here for a short visit. Dont hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way. Walter Hagen
    Mortgage free 2/07/18. 9 years early

• Nelski
    • By Nelski 13th Aug 18, 1:33 PM
    • 12,637 Posts
    • 42,872 Thanks
    Nelski
    Single too so agree with everyone re the council tax being the only one really. Our area has been on water meters for donkeys years so guess thats in the mix too.

Just thought Id chuck in some thoughts that with years of singledom i have found can save a few pennies

Have more freezer space than you think you need for one person
    I have a half one in the kitchen and a full one in the garage always crammed with left overs /batch cooking stuff/yellow stickered bargains

Buy a good size slow cooker (oval not round) then you can cook wole birds or good size joints then freeze

Forget takeaways for one they are awful and way too expensive save them till you have mates round

Dont buy pressies for everyone in a family ....its not fair you need to discuss before the event but I got sick of spending hundreds at christmas and getting back a bath robe I know its not all about that but singles tend to get the bum wrap at the festive season

Team up with friends if its worth it...I have a costco card with my buddy so quite often buy in bulk then split

As above for things like gym memberships

Ill keep thinking but thats the first brain dump ....us singles need to stick together lol
    Last edited by Nelski; 13-08-2018 at 1:37 PM.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Aug 18, 3:00 PM
    • 16,811 Posts
    • 46,419 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Absolutely Nelski

I used to find that re presents - ie it felt like I was giving 2 (or more) presents and getting one back. Not a good "rate of exchange".

When my brother & his wife had two children I started out by giving them presents - and found that boiled down to 4 presents per year (Christmas and birthday) and the Easter Egg bit. But it was all one-way. If my brother had "paid back" by helping me with DIY for instance - then I would have thought "Oh well - it guess it evens out that way". But that never happened....

Re the freezer space - I've got a freezer taller than myself and it's full. I think I could maybe even do with more freezer space - but there isnt room for it anywhere. I will buy whatever-food-I-want personally (and it's always the organic version if there is one) BUT I do try and stash away what spare food I'm growing in the garden I can to help out through the rest of the year (some apples about to go in there later today - as applesauce, as the bugs got to them too much to eat "as is").
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 13-08-2018 at 3:03 PM.
    • kittieviolet
    • By kittieviolet 13th Aug 18, 3:09 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    kittieviolet
    I am a single too. I share my grocery shopping with my Dad who also lives alone since my Mum died. Asda delivers to mine, Dad and I share the delivery fee. We also share single items eg a box of eggs so 3 each. Dad then comes up to mine (only a few streets away) and has his dinner with me and picks up his shopping. Also on a Saturday, I will pop down to his and cook a dinner with both of our left overs from the week.
    We also share resources eg I look after his various insurances/energy bills and make sure that he is on a good deal and being a practical chap, he will do little jobs around the house for me.
    It has helped having a 'buddy' with whom I can share resources and skills
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 13th Aug 18, 5:26 PM
    • 12,140 Posts
    • 234,013 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    A council tax trainer once explained to me that council tax is the barsteward offspring of the rates and the poll tax, and the reason we singletons pay 75% of the liability is that 50% of the bill is based on the property and the other 50% is based on there being two adults in the property. Therefore, you're getting half of one half, off.

Water meters, yup, money savers. If you're in a flat that can't be divvied up from the block's supply to fit a meter, there is a halfway house called Assessed Charges. Which is based on what you'd probably be using if you were on a meter, based on data for households of your type. Ask about this with your local water companuy.

Other than that, beggar all savings as a single. Rooms cost the same to heat whether there is one bod or two in them. You might want to take turns to cook with a pal, such as alternate Sunday lunches or something like that.

Of course, your furnishings only have half as much wear & tear and your washer will probably last longer as it'll run less frequently, but there aren't a lot of savings to be had, sadly.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• buildersdaughter
    • By buildersdaughter 13th Aug 18, 9:58 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    buildersdaughter
    Lots of good advice. I would add:
    Ensure that utility providers know she is 'vulnerable' in case of services being cut, or similar.
    Does she have anyone who calls in on her because of her health? Ensure that she is registered with a GP, and any other service that she needs. Consider some sort of 'alarm' - for instance a regular phone call at the same time every day or week, to know she's OK.
    How well does she know the area? Make sure she knows / finds out about things like the local library, bus routes, activities suitable for her age / interests / condition. Where I live, most villages have a weekly coffee morning or similar, for free / small donation, open to all residents.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,088Posts Today

8,855Users online

Martin's Twitter