Cavity wall insulation

Hi
Im looking for advice, Im soon to replace a window with french doors, there will be no widening or raising the height just simply cutting down from the existing window to floor level. The work will be done by my father who is an experienced joiner.
Quite a straight forward job until someone mentioned the possibility of loose cavity wall insulating beads that might all fall out!!! Although very experienced in joinery and the building trade my father has never encountered this problem before.
Has anyone any ideas as to how to prevent this from happening? We are not even sure yet what material was used to insulate the cavities as it was done before I bought the house but we need to plan for this before starting the work!!!
Thank you greatfully for any tips!!!!

Comments

• stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Well of course you can check what sort of material is used in the cavity wall. Drill a hole underneath the window, in the middle of the wall, and stick a camera in the hole, or make a hole big enough that you can see with your own eyes.
    If you have some vents fitted, then you might be able to see the cavity by just removing the vent tube
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Anow
    Anow Posts: 2 Newbie
    My main question is - if I do have loose beads insulating how do we prevent these from just falling out of the cavity when we remove the wall??!!!
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    I'd drill loads of holes from top to bottom around the frame and make sure they go into the cavity area, then squirt in a little spray expanding foam to glue the beads together
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It's unlikely that you do have beads, most people don't. Blown fibre is much more common.

If you do have beads, then just make sure you have a plan. Have some bits of wood nearby to shutter up any holes as soon as they are made.

As mentioned above, use expanding foam into small holes if you are really worried about it. But the foam will reduce the effectiveness of the insulation and may provide a bridge of any water to dribble from one wall to the other, beads are usually used to stop this from happening.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Blimey - over thinking here!

When you take out the existing windowboard you will be able to see down in the cavity

Stuff rockwool to the extremeties of where the wall is going to be cut and nothing will fall out

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills