Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tel_
    • By tel_ 11th Aug 18, 3:27 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 7Thanks
    tel_
    Problems with setting up a Nationwide a/c online
    • 11th Aug 18, 3:27 PM
    Problems with setting up a Nationwide a/c online 11th Aug 18 at 3:27 PM
    I have received my card, PIN & account number for a Flex Direct a/c with Nationwide, but when I enter my customer number it also asks for my passnumber, which I don't have because it didn't ask me to create one.

I thought I must have to re-register online again, but it won't accept my email address because it was used last week to apply to open an account.

I have no idea what to do next (and the Nationwide website is not secure according to my Chrome browser, whilst IE says it is).
Page 1
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 11th Aug 18, 3:35 PM
    • 4,414 Posts
    • 5,637 Thanks
    ColdIron
    • 11th Aug 18, 3:35 PM
    Are you using the 'Log in using my memorable data' option? That asks for your Passnumber. If you use the 'Log in using my card reader' option it doesn't. You can change your passnumber once logged in under the 'Manage my details & settings' tab
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 11th Aug 18, 3:35 PM
    • 26,099 Posts
    • 15,462 Thanks
    xylophone
    Did you complete online banking registration?

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/login-registration/forgotten-passnumber
    • tel_
    • By tel_ 11th Aug 18, 4:00 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    tel_
    • 11th Aug 18, 4:00 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 4:00 PM
    Originally posted by xylophone
    Yes, I did. I even tried to re-register but got this message:

As you've registered within the past 7 days you can't register again at this time, as doing so could invalidate your log in details. If you registered via the postal process, you should receive your log in details shortly. If you haven't received them within 3-5 working days of the date you originally registered then please contact us.
    • tel_
    • By tel_ 11th Aug 18, 4:02 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    tel_
    • 11th Aug 18, 4:02 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 4:02 PM
    Are you using the 'Log in using my memorable data' option? That asks for your Passnumber. If you use the 'Log in using my card reader' option it doesn't. You can change your passnumber once logged in under the 'Manage my details & settings' tab
    Originally posted by ColdIron
    I used the 'Log in using memorable data' option, as I don't have a card reader. But I don't have a passnumber.
    • rangersfc
    • By rangersfc 11th Aug 18, 4:20 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    rangersfc
    • 11th Aug 18, 4:20 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 4:20 PM
    Hello Tel,
    I would suggest you give Nationwide a phone call. Have all the relevant details to hand, and explain your query.
    One of the options on phone menu is for current a/c applications already in progress (or words to that effect).
    May be more fruitful than guesswork, however helpful and well meaning, provided on here.
    Regards
    mrwmartin
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 11th Aug 18, 4:24 PM
    • 4,414 Posts
    • 5,637 Thanks
    ColdIron
    • 11th Aug 18, 4:24 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 4:24 PM
    I used the 'Log in using memorable data' option, as I don't have a card reader. But I don't have a passnumber.
    Originally posted by tel_
    Do you have a card reader from another bank? Many of them are interchangeable
    • tel_
    • By tel_ 11th Aug 18, 4:46 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    tel_
    • 11th Aug 18, 4:46 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 4:46 PM
    Do you have a card reader from another bank? Many of them are interchangeable
    Originally posted by ColdIron
    I don't have a card reader either.

Thanks for every ones help. I thought it was a simple error on my part, but maybe not. I will try my final option and give them a call as advised by mrwmartin.
    • CatLady13
    • By CatLady13 11th Aug 18, 4:54 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    CatLady13
    • 11th Aug 18, 4:54 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 4:54 PM
    I had the same problem and gave them a call. I cannot remember what happened but I might have had to wait for my card reader (or you can pick one up in a branch)
    • tel_
    • By tel_ 11th Aug 18, 5:21 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    tel_
    I had the same problem and gave them a call. I cannot remember what happened but I might have had to wait for my card reader (or you can pick one up in a branch)
    Originally posted by CatLady13
    Thanks for the post Cat Lady.

I think I might cancel now anyway. What with the website's authenticity as well I don't have much confidence that my money would be safe with them!
    • _shel
    • By _shel 11th Aug 18, 5:43 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 2,203 Thanks
    _shel
    I've been having the same issues. Created account with memorable data, created a six digit code as asked and thought that was my passcode, wrong! Can't log in!
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 11th Aug 18, 5:58 PM
    • 771 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    Hi tel_,

You get a separate letter titled Welcome to Digital Banking. In that letter you get your customer number. Your passnumber is at the bottom of this letter. You have to peel back the plastic tab to reveal your passnumber.

Neither of these will get you into internet banking. I had to wait an extra 2-3 days for the card reader. Once I had that, I could logon, change my pass number to something memorable and set up all the memorable information.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Willing2Learn; 11-08-2018 at 6:04 PM.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• fraz101
    • By fraz101 11th Aug 18, 6:03 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    fraz101
    I had same problem

Took me nearly 3 weeks to get set up online.

Needed card reader which they didn't send, I ended up having to go to my local branch for one.

Then I received 3 of them in the post seperately over the space of a week!

It was a bit of a pain in the butt if truth be told
    • tel_
    • By tel_ 11th Aug 18, 7:58 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    tel_
    Hi tel_,

You get a separate letter titled Welcome to Digital Banking. In that letter you get your customer number. Your passnumber is at the bottom of this letter. You have to peel back the plastic tab to reveal your passnumber.

Neither of these will get you into internet banking. I had to wait an extra 2-3 days for the card reader. Once I had that, I could logon, change my pass number to something memorable and set up all the memorable information.

Hope this helps
    Originally posted by Willing2Learn
    Oh what joy. I look forward to this 'Welcome to digital banking' letter then (which was not communicated to me in my initial set up email from them), and a possible card reader, (which I don't particularly want). That shows the level of security confidence they have in their website then.

Thanks for the heads-up!
    • tel_
    • By tel_ 11th Aug 18, 8:02 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    tel_
    I have just read in the paper this evening that Nationwide's first-quarter profits are down 12%.

I am not surprised
    • _shel
    • By _shel 11th Aug 18, 8:23 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 2,203 Thanks
    _shel
    Hoping I just have to wait fir the welcome letter, yes it didn't say that during set up. As I'm trying to view a mortgage account I don't have a card so can skip that step.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 11th Aug 18, 10:06 PM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 20,065 Thanks
    mije1983
    I have just read in the paper this evening that Nationwide's first-quarter profits are down 12%.

I am not surprised

That's what happens when you have one of the top interest paying CAs and RSs. They'd clearly be much better off offering 1 or 2% like a lot of other lenders

On topic, you can use another card reader if you have one. You don't need to wait for the official NW one.

• EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 12th Aug 18, 1:10 AM
    • 1,912 Posts
    • 1,237 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    ... and a possible card reader, (which I don't particularly want).
    You'll need it to set up external payments to new payees.
    • tel_
    • By tel_ 12th Aug 18, 10:01 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    tel_
    You'll need it to set up external payments to new payees.
    Originally posted by EarthBoy
    I'm only going to use the account to take advantage of the 5% 2,500 interest. I won't even use the debit card as I'm still going to use my old banks current account (I'm not switching). However, I do realise I have to set-up the 1,000 going in & out per month.
    • CatLady13
    • By CatLady13 12th Aug 18, 10:26 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    CatLady13
    Their opening procedure is flawed as so many people have the same issue (they must have numerous calls about the same thing!), however, once opened, I have not had any issues and the 5% is worth it. I downloaded the app and just use that when I want to login, the card and card reader are in a drawer gathering dust (but necessary for performing things such as setting up transfers).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,380Posts Today

8,373Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin