Bike got stolen, tried to make a claim and had my policy voided . Appreciate advice

I've recently had a nightmare with my insurance company , which has left me royaly screwed because of an honest mistake .

My motorbike was stolen , I maid a claim and they ended up voiding my entire policy , I am still shocked . The crux of it was I checked yes to me having an immobiliser/alarm when I didn't. I thought this referred to my front disc lock that immobilises my bike and had an alarm , I suppose I was naive and I take responsibility for that .

Now my policy has been voided and I am in the process of making a formal complaint , I don't even care about the claim anymore .

However I have a few questions and would love some advice .

1) I've recently taken out a new policy for a new motorbike , this was only 7 days ago, whilst it was yday that my previous policy was voided . When making the policy I told them the truth at the time, that I made a claim .

Should I inform them now of what has happened ? I am scared I will call them and they will void my policy .

2) I was thinking of canceling my recent policy and then taking out a new one somewhere . It's really hard with a canceled policy .

I am wondering however as my policy when voided , do o still have to declare a claim ? How could I declare s claim if my policy was voided ?

It is much easier to get insurance with only a voided policy rather than a claim and a voided policy

Many thanks !

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    You need to disclose both your claim AND your voided policy

Failure to do so will result in another cancellation when they discover

Claims and cancellations are shared by Insurers by way of shared databases used to detect fraudulent activity!
  • Polioz
    Polioz Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 11 August 2018 at 3:14PM
    Quentin wrote: »
    You need to disclose both your claim AND your voided policy

Failure to do so will result in another cancellation when they discover

Claims and cancellations are shared by Insurers by way of shared databases used to detect fraudulent activity!

Do you think the recent policy provider would void my insurance if I tell them my previous policy was voided yesterday? even though obviously i was 100% honest with them when I took out the policy, as my policy was not voided then.

I am worried this will happen and I am wondering if its safer to just cancel the policy myself. I don't think they would insure me with a voided policy.
  • Quentin
    You can find out if your current insurer accepts an application from someone with this in their history if you can get a quote online from them. (Use dummy personal details)

Though if you knew about the cancellation when you took out the policy expect them to take a dim view of you not disclosing it

Having a cancellation in your history is bad news. Having 2 could mean you have great difficulty finding cover
  • Polioz
    You can find out if your current insurer accepts an application from someone with this in their history if you can get a quote online from them. (Use dummy personal details)

Though if you knew about the cancellation when you took out the policy expect them to take a dim view of you not disclosing it

Having a cancellation in your history is bad news. Having 2 could mean you have great difficulty finding cover

I used the online compare website and they wouldn't insure me with a voided policy. The insurance is 8 days old, whereas I only had my policy voided yesterday so I didn't have a voided policy at the time.

I think I will just cancel it myself, I have lost trust in some of these insurance companies
  • Quentin
    You are splitting hairs aren't you?

When you have a policy cancelled the insurer gives you 7 days notice to allow you time to get cover elsewhere.

Otherwise why would you take out a new policy when you had one running?
  • Polioz
    edited 11 August 2018 at 3:32PM
    You are splitting hairs aren't you?

When you have a policy cancelled the insurer gives you 7 days notice to allow you time to get cover elsewhere.

Otherwise why would you take out a new policy when you had one running?

My previous policy ran out over 6 weeks ago, my bike was stolen literally at the end of my policy. I bought a bike a week ago and insured it, I did not expect my policy to be voided for such a simple mistake, at worst I thought I would only get 75% of my claim. Granted I obviously did not know about this error prior to making a claim.
  • Just my opinion OP so don't get angry with me - a reasonable person would know the difference between an immobiliser/alarm and what you wrote.
    What would the premium have been if you had (rightly) not had the alarm?
    All of a sudden you are happy to write off a bike claim for this - so something does not smell right to me.
  • Polioz
    edited 11 August 2018 at 5:40PM
    Just my opinion OP so don't get angry with me - a reasonable person would know the difference between an immobiliser/alarm and what you wrote.
    What would the premium have been if you had (rightly) not had the alarm?
    All of a sudden you are happy to write off a bike claim for this - so something does not smell right to me.

Don't worry I can appreciate how this can seem dodgy, I suppose that is why I have been screwed. It was my first vehicle and first insurance policy, I didn't have anyone to help me and I suppose I was quite naive and impatient to get it sorted. I did some research and asked friends and somehow came to the conclusion that it must surely refer to my front disc lock, because the question below allowed me to put my chain and padlock.

I still wasn't sure what it was and vaguely remember playing around with it and not having the premium change at all if by a few quid. In my mind, which I suppose in retrospective is the obvious wrong choice, I clicked that I had it as I wanted to be honest... because I had something that immobilised my bike and had an alarm. I guess I am just an idiot.

It is insane to me that this is the repercussion of something that would of saved me at most a few quid. I could of actually gone out of my way and not disclosed information to get over £550 off, instead I wanted to be as genuine and honest as possible.

I hope my formal complaint gets me somewhere and my case is reviewed on an individual basis with some empathy and understanding. I appreciate it is my responsibility to know what I am putting on my policy but as it is in my eyes a blatant mistake, just reject my claim and leave my policy. I can't afford a vehicle now and would most likely have to find a job elsewhere, very stressful.

EDIT!!!!!!

I actually put my details in and the only thing I changed was the immobiliser/no immobiliser... THE PRICE OF THE POLICY IS EXACTLY THE SAME ACROSS THE BOARD.... What a joke, they didn't lose ANY MONEY
  • Quentin
    You look to have fallen foul of their strict policy regarding fraudulent applications by playing round with your quotes to find the scenario that gave you a cheaper policy!

Polioz wrote: »
    !!!8230;... I appreciate it is my responsibility to know what I am putting on my policy but as it is in my eyes a blatant mistake, just reject my claim and leave my policy.....

Why are you happy that your claim was rejected, but unhappy that they cancelled your policy?? Seems a mixed message there!
  • Polioz
    It seems you have misunderstood me Quentin.

I didn't play around with my policy to get the cheapest quote . My policy was almost 1k because I answered everything truthfully and factually , apart from my mistake regarding the immobiliser . Which by the way did not change the quote at all , it did not cost the insurance company any money nor did it save me any money .

I was actually shocked at how much I had to pay and played around with quotes to see what the reason for this was , as my friends were getting much cheaper quotes . E.g 200 quid for a more powerful bike.

DESPITE THIS I answered everything truthfully and thus paid so much . So it is completely false to state I am victim to playing around with my quote to get the cheapest quote . I got actually one of the most expensive quotes I could , young driver , no NCB, city with high theft rates (it seems), no garage etc , you see what I am saying .

I am not happy they canceled my policy , but at this rate I'm clutching at straws and would be happy to atleast have my policy uncancled. I don't care about their money any more .

I would be more than happy if they kept my claim , but I accept responsibility for not understanding the policy . However voiding my policy is overkill when they didn't lose money , I didn't save money !

What's the point of putting an immobiliser (falsely on purpose) if it didn't save me any money !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure