Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Heylou32
    • By Heylou32 11th Aug 18, 12:32 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Heylou32
    Leasehold property insurance question
    • 11th Aug 18, 12:32 PM
    Leasehold property insurance question 11th Aug 18 at 12:32 PM
    Hi! I donít know if this is the right forum to post this in but Iím hoping someone can help me.

I own a leasehold flat that is empty and I am in the process of selling. The ground rent and service charges plus buildings insurance through the freeholder are due.

I have asked for a revised bill so that I can spread the payments over a year, so monthly payments. Can my management company make me pay the year up front?

Thank you!
Page 1
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 11th Aug 18, 1:03 PM
    • 1,361 Posts
    • 1,761 Thanks
    ThePants999
    • 11th Aug 18, 1:03 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 1:03 PM
    Yes, but assuming the payment is in advance, your conveyancer when you sell will generally arrange for the buyer to effectively pay you back for the portion of the year they'll own the property instead of you.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Aug 18, 4:11 PM
    • 46,170 Posts
    • 55,883 Thanks
    G_M
    • 11th Aug 18, 4:11 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 4:11 PM
    ......The ground rent and service charges plus buildings insurance through the freeholder are due.

I have asked for a revised bill so that I can spread the payments over a year, so monthly payments. Can my management company make me pay the year up front?
    Originally posted by Heylou32
    Assuming that is what the lease specifies, then yes.

But as explained, this happens all the time. The amount the buyer of the lease pays will be adjusted (upwards) to cover the cost of the advance payment the seller has made.

(equally, if the seller owes money to the freeholder, then this amount would be deducted from the purchase price).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,988Posts Today

7,796Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: On Brexit, which is more important to you right now certainty or outcome. Ie would you prefe? https://t.co/En38QfRh3o

• Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Follow Martin