Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bolkonsky
    • By bolkonsky 11th Aug 18, 12:29 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    bolkonsky
    How to get a weekly/ monthly income from savings
    • 11th Aug 18, 12:29 PM
    How to get a weekly/ monthly income from savings 11th Aug 18 at 12:29 PM
    At the end of 2018, I will receive a state pension, at the age of 65. I am interested in finding ways to supplement ( to cover my living expenses) my state pension by using my savings (over 50,000 in building societies to earn a weekly/monthly income. I have looked at the option of renting out property, but there doesn't seem to be a suitable deal available. I ill welcome any advice on this subject.
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 11th Aug 18, 1:06 PM
    • 27,653 Posts
    • 16,612 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 11th Aug 18, 1:06 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 1:06 PM
    You have obtained a new state pension statement?

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

Do you have any private pension provision?

https://www.money.co.uk/savings-accounts/monthly-interest-savings-accounts.htm
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 11th Aug 18, 1:09 PM
    • 3,289 Posts
    • 1,657 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 11th Aug 18, 1:09 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 1:09 PM
    If you have unused Personal Allowance available, for example if your State Pension is your only pension income and you have no other earnings from a job, self employment, rental income etc then the 2880 becomes 3600 pension trick is popular on the pensions board.

Open a personal pension/SIPP and deposit 2880. The pension company added basic rate tax relief you have 3600 in your pension fund.

You can leave this as cash rather than invest it and when you withdraw it 25% is tax free with the remaining 75% being taxable. So if you have spare Personal Allowance then there may be no tax payable

There are numerous threads about this on the pensions board.

You need to consider pension provider fees and drawing money out might limit how much you can subsequently pay into a pension (possibly limited to 4k/year thereafter).

Hargreaves Lansdown are often mentioned for this but you need to look at different companies and their rules and charges to know what would be best for you.

In theory you can give the pension company 240/month and get 300/month back.
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 11th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    • 12,187 Posts
    • 8,631 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    • 11th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    Hargreaves Lansdown are often mentioned for this but you need to look at different companies and their rules and charges to know what would be best for you.
    Originally posted by Dazed and confused
    They are very good in our experience, but if you are going to use this ruse be careful not to empty your pension fund within a year of opening it - there is a heavy charge for that.

As D&c implies, if you were to contribute 2,880 today you could then start drawing out a monthly sum from (if memory serves) the second half of next month. Then top up with another 2,880 in the new tax year i.e. on or after 06/04/2019.

The ruse generates you 720 p.a. profit "out of thin air". You can continue the contributions until you turn 75.

Apart from that there are savings accounts that pay the interest monthly. Googling turned up these:

https://moneyfacts.co.uk/news/savings/6-of-the-best-monthly-interest-savings-accounts/

https://www.money.co.uk/savings-accounts/monthly-interest-savings-accounts.htm
    Free the dunston one next time too.
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 11th Aug 18, 1:49 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 586 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    • 11th Aug 18, 1:49 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 1:49 PM
    Just to expand on @Dazed and confused's tax-relief-via-SIPP suggestion, if you are still working at the moment, you may be able to start your personal pension/SIPP with a higher amount. I think your gross contribution in any tax year can be as much as your earnings in that year (up to 40K max).

If you earn less than 3600 (or you earn nothing at all) then you are restricted to 3600 (i.e. 2880 from you and 720 tax-relief from HMRC)

Beyond that, you will need to take advice on what to do with the money you put into your pension pot (keep it as cash or invest it for growth) and whether to pay into it every year to get additional tax-relief - which you can do up to age 75.

I think the tax-relief is a powerful incentive to follow this route especially if (as also said by @Dazed and confused) you will have unused personal allowance after taking your SP.

There are plenty of forum users following this type of process - hopefully they will come along and let you know how beneficial (or otherwise) they have found it and who they have used as a provider.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,640Posts Today

7,593Users online

Martin's Twitter