Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • helgaw51
    • By helgaw51 10th Aug 18, 1:21 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    helgaw51
    Regular Payments to meat company
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:21 PM
    Regular Payments to meat company 10th Aug 18 at 1:21 PM
    Hi

I am new here and not sure if this is the correct part of the Forum.

I for many years have been paying a regular amount to my favourite meat company online. the deal is that i can buy meat when I want it, and I get a little credit from them as long as I continue paying my DD. I am now in the position that I will be leaving the UK at the end of the year and I have a large balance in my account with them. They say that I may not have this money back except by using it to buy from them.

This company has changed hands a couple of times while I have been their customer and I no longer have the original terms and conditions that I signed up to. I have read the current ones and certainly it says that I may only have the money back by buying meat from them.

Any ideas if this is even legal.
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 10th Aug 18, 1:35 PM
    • 6,896 Posts
    • 15,040 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:35 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:35 PM
    Hi

I am new here and not sure if this is the correct part of the Forum.

I for many years have been paying a regular amount to my favourite meat company online. the deal is that i can buy meat when I want it, and I get a little credit from them as long as I continue paying my DD. I am now in the position that I will be leaving the UK at the end of the year and I have a large balance in my account with them. They say that I may not have this money back except by using it to buy from them.

This company has changed hands a couple of times while I have been their customer and I no longer have the original terms and conditions that I signed up to. I have read the current ones and certainly it says that I may only have the money back by buying meat from them.

Any ideas if this is even legal.
    Originally posted by helgaw51
    You have been getting promotional credit on the basis that you top up the account. I assume you have used this credit frequently?

I'd imagine its entirely legal. I'd liken it to getting free texts if you top up 10 a month, then demanding all your top up money back after the fact, despite using the free texts.
    • helgaw51
    • By helgaw51 10th Aug 18, 2:12 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    helgaw51
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:12 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:12 PM
    I use it as a way of budgeting for the meat that I buy 3 times a year. The money sits in their account and if I buy more then what is in their account I have to pay the extra. I am leaving the country so will not be able to use the money that is sitting in my account on their website. It is a sizeable chunk of money that i cannot afford to lose.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 10th Aug 18, 2:19 PM
    • 6,896 Posts
    • 15,040 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:19 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 2:19 PM
    I understand that you use this money to buy meat. That was not what I was asking.

You said you get 'credit' for this DD method. How much 'extra credit' have you used?

If they do agree to a refund, they would be entirely within their rights to deduct any extra credit you have had from that refund.
    • helgaw51
    • By helgaw51 10th Aug 18, 3:02 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    helgaw51
    • 10th Aug 18, 3:02 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 3:02 PM
    Very little never more then 25 and that is paid of by the next DD payment - usually only use what is already there as I hate being in debt.
    • NotRichAtAll
    • By NotRichAtAll 10th Aug 18, 3:17 PM
    • 784 Posts
    • 675 Thanks
    NotRichAtAll
    • 10th Aug 18, 3:17 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 3:17 PM
    So how much is large balance?

if it were me go round my buddys see who wants any meat order it and sell
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 10th Aug 18, 3:19 PM
    • 5,746 Posts
    • 5,636 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 10th Aug 18, 3:19 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 3:19 PM
    I'm guessing you're still not understanding the question? (Unless it is me misunderstanding what MP is asking):

A batch of meat costs 100
    If you pay in advance by DD you get 100 of meat for 90, therefore 10 "credit"

How much saving ("credit") have you made whilst having this arrangement? That's what they'd be entitled to deduct from any refund (IF they agreed to refund - you should really try and find the original T&Cs.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 10th Aug 18, 3:20 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Supersonos
    • 10th Aug 18, 3:20 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 3:20 PM
    Very little never more then 25 and that is paid of by the next DD payment - usually only use what is already there as I hate being in debt.
    The contract you signed says you can only use the money to buy meat from them, so that's what you agreed to - to use the money to buy their meat.

What does it say about terminating the contract?
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 10th Aug 18, 3:21 PM
    • 6,896 Posts
    • 15,040 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 10th Aug 18, 3:21 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 3:21 PM
    I'm guessing you're still not understanding the question? (Unless it is me misunderstanding what MP is asking):

A batch of meat costs 100
    If you pay in advance by DD you get 100 of meat for 90, therefore 10 "credit"

How much saving ("credit") have you made whilst having this arrangement? That's what they'd be entitled to deduct from any refund (IF they agreed to refund - you should really try and find the original T&Cs.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Yeah I'm assuming they don't actually 'get' anything. I was assuming its like a *ahem* beer subscription I have where my DD gets topped up by 10% as long as I keep it up.

I think they just mean they lend them some money briefly...
    • helgaw51
    • By helgaw51 10th Aug 18, 3:39 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    helgaw51
    I get nothing extra, they do not give me anything extra on the order. I pay the market price for the meat, if on one occasion a I say buy 100 of meat I pay 100, if I have 90 in my account they let me have because next payment it will be paid off. if I have 100 in my account and I buy 90 pounds, I have 10 left in my account. I am now looking at financial laws re keeping peoples money - because my Electric account gives me money back if there is too much sitting in their account from my DDs and top of that they have been known to give me interest (although not always) The meat company is in effect working as a banker and should be regulated. Certainly our business is not allowed to sit on other peoples money because we should be regulated if do (we are in tea)
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 10th Aug 18, 3:54 PM
    • 10,167 Posts
    • 125,659 Thanks
    kazwookie
    1. How much money is in this account?
    2. How much is your DD each week or month?
    3. Have you cancelled your DD? if not when are you planning on doing so.

4. Ask around family / neighbours etc and see if they want any meat, you buy it, and then ask them for the cash.
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on!
    • helgaw51
    • By helgaw51 10th Aug 18, 4:06 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    helgaw51
    1. Too much to let go
    2. Monthly
    3. Of course
    4. No family or neighbours to give to.

the fact is that they are acting as bankers - if it was a subscription I could understand
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 10th Aug 18, 4:10 PM
    • 11,273 Posts
    • 9,642 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    1. Too much to let go
    Is not an answer to kazwookie's question
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 10th Aug 18, 4:11 PM
    • 5,686 Posts
    • 6,481 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    Spend it on a going away BBQ.
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 10th Aug 18, 4:28 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Supersonos
    Is not an answer to kazwookie's question
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Does the actual amount matter? Is there any legal difference if it's 20 or 200?
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 10th Aug 18, 4:32 PM
    • 3,385 Posts
    • 2,199 Thanks
    Robin9
    It could be a wonderful gift to a Food Kitchen
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 10th Aug 18, 4:36 PM
    • 2,476 Posts
    • 3,289 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    The meat company is in effect working as a banker and should be regulated. Certainly our business is not allowed to sit on other peoples money because we should be regulated if do (we are in tea)
    Something you were presumably aware of and entirely happy with when you signed up to the deal and for many years since. It's a bit late to be calling for them to be regulated now.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 10th Aug 18, 4:39 PM
    • 11,273 Posts
    • 9,642 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Does the actual amount matter? Is there any legal difference if it's 20 or 200?
    Originally posted by Supersonos
    Of course it does! 200 may be worth a MCOL claim, 20 would not be. Also as the OP will be in this country for another 4 months, depending on the amount, it may or may not be unreasonable to expect them to actually spend this amount with the meat supplier.
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 10th Aug 18, 6:15 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Supersonos
    Of course it does! 200 may be worth a MCOL claim, 20 would not be.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    That's your opinion and makes no difference legally. The OP said it's "Too much to let go" so clearly, regardless of the actual sum, they feel it's worth fighting for.

It's no-one's business how much it is, because we all know the OP won't win if he divulges. If it's a small amount he'll just get comments like "Why bother, it's only x." And if it's a large amount he'll just get "OMG! Why are you paying that much for meat?! Is it the meat of endangered tigers?!"

The sum bears no relevance to the OPs original question. From the details given so far it's safe to assume that it's a relatively large amount (as it's "too much to let go") but probably not into the thousands as it's only meat bought a few times a year.
    Last edited by Supersonos; 10-08-2018 at 6:18 PM.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 10th Aug 18, 6:54 PM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 2,933 Thanks
    steampowered
    Yes, perfectly legal.

There is no legal right to get a refund of shop credit.

You would only have a right to turn your credit into cash if the T&Cs say you can do that.

I suspect the shop is perfectly within its rights to say that you can only spend the credit, rather than getting a cash refund.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,527Posts Today

7,177Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Many asking "what does leaving EU actually mean for me?" both with or without a no-deal. The MSE guide to Brexit t? https://t.co/ULimpQPlHp

• I'm very glad my poll today has caused such unity and consensus. It feels like a real moment of rapprochement in th? https://t.co/QVCzqsiVOi

• RT @CourtBasedPSU: This week we hit a major milestone. PSU volunteers have now provided support to Litigants in Person on 300,000 occasion?

• Follow Martin