Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 9th Aug 18, 5:45 PM
    • 4,263Posts
    • 5,553Thanks
    westernpromise
    Dodgy cruise control
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:45 PM
    Dodgy cruise control 9th Aug 18 at 5:45 PM
    The cruise control on the last two Hondas we've had doesn't work downhill. Anyone else find this?

I use the cruise around town to be sure of staying under the limit. If you're going uphill or on the flat at 30, you hit the button to engage it, and you will stay at 30. But! As soon as you are over that hill and going downhill, the cruise control does not apply the brakes to keep you at 30. You start to gather speed, and if you thought the cruise control would keep your speed legal, you're in for a nasty surprise if you aren't paying attention.

This cost me a speed awareness course 5 years ago, and Honda hasn't fixed it that I know of. Other makes I've driven have no such problem. Does anyone else find this? There's nothing in the driver's manual that explains why this happens or how to prevent it.
    Buying a house, if you believe the market has a way to fall, or if you are paying sill asking prices ( like some sheeple ) or if you are buying in London, is now a massive financial gamble!!!!! - June 8, 2012 by TheCountOfNowhere
Page 1
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 9th Aug 18, 6:18 PM
    • 18,024 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:18 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:18 PM
    The cruise control on the last two Hondas we've had doesn't work downhill. Anyone else find this?

I use the cruise around town to be sure of staying under the limit. If you're going uphill or on the flat at 30, you hit the button to engage it, and you will stay at 30. But! As soon as you are over that hill and going downhill, the cruise control does not apply the brakes to keep you at 30. You start to gather speed, and if you thought the cruise control would keep your speed legal, you're in for a nasty surprise if you aren't paying attention.

This cost me a speed awareness course 5 years ago, and Honda hasn't fixed it that I know of. Other makes I've driven have no such problem. Does anyone else find this? There's nothing in the driver's manual that explains why this happens or how to prevent it.
    Originally posted by westernpromise
    Works fine on Audis.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 9th Aug 18, 6:20 PM
    • 18,024 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:20 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:20 PM
    Its because your car is that old / shitty that it doesnt have the technology to allow it to brake to maintain speeds.

Most new cars have it particular German ones.

Both our Merc and MINI are capable of it. Even my 2007 BMW had it when i bought it new.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 9th Aug 18, 6:23 PM
    • 3,978 Posts
    • 3,024 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:23 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:23 PM

The vast majority with cruise control work the same, they don't apply the brakes on downhill slopes so if the engine braking isn't sufficient to maintain speed they'll increase speed. It happens because gravity and you don't have a car fitted with hill descent speed control. That didn't cost you a speed awareness course, your poor driving and lack of observation did. Surely you must have noticed you were increasing speed?
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 9th Aug 18, 6:26 PM
    • 18,024 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:26 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:26 PM
    That didn't cost you a speed awareness course, your poor driving and lack of observation did. Surely you must have noticed you were increasing speed?
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    +1

His speedo must have been reading 40MPH to get a reading of 36MPH on a radar, thats simple carelessness.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 9th Aug 18, 6:27 PM
    • 18,024 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:27 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:27 PM
    The vast majority with cruise control work the same, they don't apply the brakes on downhill slopes so if the engine braking isn't sufficient to maintain speed they'll increase speed. It happens because gravity and you don't have a car fitted with hill descent speed control.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    A lot of more modern cars do - they use the rear brakes to slow the car down, from memory.
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 9th Aug 18, 6:28 PM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,553 Thanks
    westernpromise
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:28 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:28 PM
    This is a 2013 model Honda, so I don't call that old. It's an automatic so there is no engine braking.
    Buying a house, if you believe the market has a way to fall, or if you are paying sill asking prices ( like some sheeple ) or if you are buying in London, is now a massive financial gamble!!!!! - June 8, 2012 by TheCountOfNowhere
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 9th Aug 18, 6:31 PM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,553 Thanks
    westernpromise
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:31 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:31 PM
    +1

His speedo must have been reading 40MPH to get a reading of 36MPH on a radar, thats simple carelessness.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    Perhaps. The camera was at the bottom of a hill, which I've driven down many times in cars with a cruise control and in others with none. What I didn't realise was that in a CRV you are in the former going uphill and the latter going downhill.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 9th Aug 18, 6:52 PM
    • 18,024 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:52 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:52 PM
    This is a 2013 model Honda, so I don't call that old. It's an automatic so there is no engine braking.
    Sounds like its just shitty then.

You need to get yourself a good Audi.

• Car 54
    • By Car 54 9th Aug 18, 6:54 PM
    • 3,649 Posts
    • 2,265 Thanks
    Car 54
    Perhaps. The camera was at the bottom of a hill, which I've driven down many times in cars with a cruise control and in others with none. What I didn't realise was that in a CRV you are in the former going uphill and the latter going downhill.
    Yes, definitely careless. Weren't you aware of the car speeding up?
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 9th Aug 18, 6:56 PM
    • 18,024 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    motorguy
    Yes, definitely careless. Weren't you aware of the car speeding up?
    Originally posted by Car 54
    Hes been too busy being offended by Audi drivers.
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 9th Aug 18, 6:58 PM
    • 27,125 Posts
    • 325,264 Thanks
    davemorton
    This is a 2013 model Honda, so I don't call that old.
    It would be for an audi
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
    • Alexd52
    • By Alexd52 9th Aug 18, 7:02 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Alexd52
    Adaptive cruise control on the CRV does apply brakes, however this is only an optional extra on the EX grade. The normal cruise control works as you found
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 9th Aug 18, 7:03 PM
    • 18,024 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    motorguy
    Adaptive cruise control on the CRV does apply brakes, however this is only an optional extra on the EX grade. The normal cruise control works as you found
    Originally posted by Alexd52
    Oh dear, guess who didnt do their homework on specs before they bought then.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Aug 18, 7:05 PM
    • 2,574 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Come on go easy on the OP.

He drives Honda so obviously an OAP.

Big up to the silver surfers.
    don't count your chickens before they're hatched
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 9th Aug 18, 7:06 PM
    • 18,024 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    motorguy
    Come on go easy on the OP.

He drives Honda automatic so obviously an OAP.

Big up to the silver surfers.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    EFA.

I can see why he hates Audis now - all these young upstarts driving their fancy fast cars.

• AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Aug 18, 7:09 PM
    • 2,574 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    EFA.

I can see why he hates Audis now - all these young upstarts driving their fancy fast cars.

I forgot the auto.

Once he gets his new left hip he'll be back in a manual civic.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 9th Aug 18, 8:59 PM
    • 18,024 Posts
    • 11,032 Thanks
    motorguy
    Oh dear, Western Promise seems to have scuttled off.

He doesnt seem to like people stereotyping Honduh drivers.

Oh the irony....

It seems he can dish it out, but cant take it.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Aug 18, 9:03 PM
    • 2,574 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Oh dear, Western Promise seems to have scuttled off.

He doesnt seem to like people stereotyping Honduh drivers.

Oh the irony....

It seems he can dish it out, but cant take it.
    There's probably a games night on at the care home.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 9th Aug 18, 9:05 PM
    • 4,925 Posts
    • 6,375 Thanks
    waamo
    Crikey even Honda owners think CR V drivers are awful https://honda-tech.com/forums/general-discussion-debate-40/no-really-why-honda-crv-drivers-so-bad-3080030/
    This space for hire.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

140Posts Today

2,977Users online

Martin's Twitter