Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Arthog
    • By Arthog 9th Aug 18, 3:19 PM
    • 149Posts
    • 191Thanks
    Arthog
    New hanging basket advice please
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:19 PM
    New hanging basket advice please 9th Aug 18 at 3:19 PM
    I've bought a new hanging basket diameter 14ins and depth 9ins, made of white plastic basket-weave. It's lined with a sheet of polythene which is secured around the rim.
    Should I make holes or slits in the polythene?
    If so, it's tempting to make the holes/slits a couple of inches up from the bottom of the basket as a small reservoir, if we're going to have a drought each year. We only have 21 ins of rain here anyway!
    I want to plant it with rockery bulbs and perennial plants so it's
    easy to care for.
Page 1
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 9th Aug 18, 5:14 PM
    • 4,210 Posts
    • 9,280 Thanks
    Linda32
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:14 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:14 PM
    Hi, No amount of rain will ever water an hanging basket. They are always in the shadow of a house or wall.

You do need to make slits in the plastic, preferably at the bottom really.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 9th Aug 18, 5:58 PM
    • 26,219 Posts
    • 35,295 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:58 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:58 PM
    We always make slits in the liner but about 1 to 2 inches up from the bottom the give a small well to help the compost keep moist.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

7Posts Today

3,778Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin