Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ishy12
    • By Ishy12 9th Aug 18, 12:10 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Ishy12
    Helping my grandfather
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:10 PM
    Helping my grandfather 9th Aug 18 at 12:10 PM
    I was hoping I could get some advice online how to go about in helping my grandfather.

My grandfather who lacks the ability of reading and writing in English assigned his property by way of gift to my father 2 years ago. At the time of gifting the property my grandad was seriously ill recovering from a heart attack. My grandfather has now been forced to move out of the property but is wanting to see if he can legally get back the property he previously owned.

He's come to me for help so before I embark on contacting legal firms I wanted to see if anyone else can shed some light on the matter.
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 9th Aug 18, 12:23 PM
    • 6,683 Posts
    • 14,500 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:23 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:23 PM
    I was hoping I could get some advice online how to go about in helping my grandfather.

My grandfather who lacks the ability of reading and writing in English assigned his property by way of gift to my father 2 years ago. At the time of gifting the property my grandad was seriously ill recovering from a heart attack. My grandfather has now been forced to move out of the property but is wanting to see if he can legally get back the property he previously owned.

He's come to me for help so before I embark on contacting legal firms I wanted to see if anyone else can shed some light on the matter.
    Originally posted by Ishy12
    Forced out by who? Your father? Why?

Why was it given away?

Unless you can prove he was coerced into doing it, or didnt have the mental capacity to give away the gift, OR gave it away with the agreement (legally) that he could live in it for life then he gave something away and the new owner can do what they want.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 9th Aug 18, 12:28 PM
    • 10,991 Posts
    • 14,485 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:28 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:28 PM
    I presume neither did their own conveyancing. Your grandfather's solicitor would have made him aware of any risks and should have explained everything to him. Is it the solicitor your grandfather will be looking to sue? I don't hold out much hope.
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

159Posts Today

1,576Users online

Martin's Twitter