Access to items left to me.

Options
Hi
My father passed last October leaving my Sisters as Executors of his estate.

He left the property to my Sisters and bequeathed me his classic car and bike collection (i have a copy of his will)

They will not speak to me and wish everything to be in writing. I have requested access to the property a number of times to determine what remains of his collection and associated pats and spares (some of them are projects so not complete) and have no reply to these.

I have also asked for copies of any V5's for the vehicles remaining and for those that he has sold.

I believe Executors have to put an inventory of what there is? But know that my sisters would not know what parts go with which vehicle or bike (some of the parts belong to my classic car)

My father died on the 01/10/17, with a copy of the will being sent to me on the 03/01/18
Can you please advise on what my legal position is? As i am currently unemployed and cannot afford a Solicitor.

Comments

• Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    Has Probate been granted?

Until it has, the executors only have to secure property.
    Although it is advisable to keep beneficiaries updated, they under no legal obligation to do so.

You can check for the Grant here: https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Spathawk wrote: »
    Hi
    My father passed last October leaving my Sisters as Executors of his estate.

He left the property to my Sisters and bequeathed me his classic car and bike collection (i have a copy of his will)

They will not speak to me and wish everything to be in writing. Any idea why? Are you on poor terms generally or do you think they are just anxious about their role as executors and the possibility of 'getting it wrong'?I have requested access to the property a number of times to determine what remains of his collection and associated pats and spares (some of them are projects so not complete) and have no reply to these.

I have also asked for copies of any V5's for the vehicles remaining and for those that he has sold. They may not be able to find them

I believe Executors have to put an inventory of what there is? Yes, but it doesn't have to be an exhaustive, individually itemised list. Something along the lines of 'vehicle spare parts' would suffice, particularly where all the items in this category have been left to one personBut know that my sisters would not know what parts go with which vehicle or bike (some of the parts belong to my classic car)

My father died on the 01/10/17, with a copy of the will being sent to me on the 03/01/18
    Can you please advise on what my legal position is? As i am currently unemployed and cannot afford a Solicitor.

Check if probate has been granted: https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/searching-for-probate-records

Whether or not probate has been granted, I think your legal position is that you simply need to wait. The executors don't have to distribute anything until a year after the death (Administration of Estates Act 1925, if you want the legal reference) and may take longer, depending on how efficient they are and the complexity of the estate. Ensuring that all debts have been paid, for example, can be quite difficult and take longer than you might hope.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure