Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 9th Aug 18, 2:23 AM
    • 1,573Posts
    • 17,231Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Old Style Daily Thursday 9th August 2018
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:23 AM
    Old Style Daily Thursday 9th August 2018 9th Aug 18 at 2:23 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 9th Aug 18, 2:29 AM
    • 1,573 Posts
    • 17,231 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:29 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:29 AM
    Morning everyone

I had a lovely time with my niece and nephew yesterday. They were really kind and wouldn’t let me pay for anything. We had a great day at two different seaside towns I haven’t been to for a number of years, and lunch and afternoon tea out. Both of the places we visited I last went to in the late 1970s/early 80s. We then went back to my brothers for a drink in the evening and then he ran me home.

Back to reality today, and some serious housework. I need to do some shopping for a few fresh bits and pieces, and will probably go out and get that very early before it gets too busy.

Gers it sounds like your mum is settling back into being at home, I hope that she continues to make a good recovery.

RosyRed it sounds like you have been busy. I’m sure that you will find the extra freezer space invaluable. I couldn’t manage without the second freezer.

Snoozer enjoy your time in Yorkshire. Hopefully giving up work again will do your husband good and give you both the opportunity to relax a bit more.

TA I hope that your OH had a better day yesterday, and he is settled on the new ward now.

AOD doughnuts for breakfast sounds ideal to me, I hope that you enjoyed them.

Nannywindow sorry to hear that your dad has returned to being miserable again .

I hope that you all have the best day possible everyone.
    • bellabella
    • By bellabella 9th Aug 18, 5:59 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 1,151 Thanks
    bellabella
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:59 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:59 AM
    Morning all
    DH woke me with his nocturnal wanderings at 4 and i cant get back to sleep taking him to work in a bit and then need to collect DS from the station.
    Will go through the freezer today and meal plan as its going to be a tight one with the new car change over costs
    Hope everyone had a reasonable night
    Have a great day whatever you are up to
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 9th Aug 18, 6:38 AM
    • 3,141 Posts
    • 43,405 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:38 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:38 AM
    Morning everyone

hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Dull, cloudy and overcast - it has been raining during the night and we're forecast for rain on and off most of the day - we'll see.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Dinner last night was roasted chicken pieces, mash, carrots, broc, peas and gravy for the menfolk. I had the chicken (no skin), with caponata (peppers, courgettes, onion, carrot, cauli, green beans, squidge tomato puree, red wine vinegar, splash of water, saute until veg cooked to your liking) had a massive pile of this with the chicken managed to eat it all so now have to decide what I'm having tonight. As you can probably tell I'm back to more healthy eating aiming to lose around 1 stone if I could lose 1/2 stone before our holiday at the end of September I'd be really pleased. Tonight I may have something with fish.

Work yesterday started very slow, but then went manic with lots of customers with complex enquiries and we still had people coming in as we were about to lock the doors. I'm now on days's off, but working Saturday. I have the usual "to do" list today so will work my way through it doing what I can.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • Gers
    • By Gers 9th Aug 18, 6:42 AM
    • 6,583 Posts
    • 42,467 Thanks
    Gers
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:42 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:42 AM
    Morning everyone.

Roads are all open again so we are no longer marooned.

This morning DM's cleaner is coming so I've got things ready for her - she takes the rubbish out first thing so it's all bagged up. I'll probably go out for a while later.

I also need to start to focus on work again, there's staff / courses to allocate and my own time to sort out.

My thoughts are with all those here who ate faving challenging times. Folks here have really helped me through the last five weeks, huge thanks.

Happy Thursday to all.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 9th Aug 18, 7:03 AM
    • 12,534 Posts
    • 41,448 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:03 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:03 AM
    Morning

Bella you made me laugh with your mums request for G strings. Sounds like a very with it lady to me You reminded me of a conversation I had when mum shopping on Monday. "I need some party liners" Dont you mean panty liners? "i dont like calling them that Party liners sounds so much better" So party liners they are then
    Such a nicer way of describing them than her alternative choice of pee pads ......ewww

Cracked through a fair bit of work yesterday and swapped lunch out for early tea. I wanted to try the meerkats meal voucher so we gave Frankie and Bennys a go. Haven't been for years and lets just say whilst there was nothing really wrong we wont be rushing back in a hurry. Quite expensive really even with the 2for1

I think today Im going to do more housey stuff although that might change as e mails start coming in. Asda coming this morning with some essential emergency stocks such as wine and hot dogs
    Food wise Im thinking a mahoosive use up ploughmans.

Gers glad your mum is settling back home so quickly you must be ready to go home home soon and sit in that gorgeous garden wit a large glass of something cold. Its been a tough few weeks for you

TAthoughts for Mr TA and please take care of yourself

Have a great day all
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 9th Aug 18, 7:10 AM
    • 488 Posts
    • 6,941 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:10 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:10 AM
    Good morning all

Thank you for starting us off Holly, pleased you enjoyed your day

GERS good to hear your mum is making a good recovery

TA my thoughts are with you

Went shopping early yesterday morning and then the rest of the day seemed to disappear, not sure what happened.

Today's forecast is for rain, the sky is a very strange colour at the moment.

Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • redruby
    • By redruby 9th Aug 18, 7:11 AM
    • 6,749 Posts
    • 94,251 Thanks
    redruby
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:11 AM
    Morning all

Raining here and has been most of the night it will be good for the garden, I think its meant to rain tomorrow too and then be nice again for the weekend

Off to work today and it was bouncy castles but I think they may cancel it due to the weather so it should be fairly quiet.

Oven fish and chips for dinner tonight with peas the freezer is emptying nicely although we have had some strange combos for dinner

I have a few phone calls to make today so it will be ideal if it is quiet at work so I can get them done.

Right I had better get on have good days all xx

Gers Im glad mum is home xx

Hus to all in need xx
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 9th Aug 18, 7:11 AM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 4,818 Thanks
    I Love comps
    Morning Everyone,

Well today will be very sad for me. The EA is coming to place moms house on the market. I always thought she would end her days in that house, as she has lived 50 odd years. I am sad I cannot fulfil her wish. But unfortunately her illness means she needs 24 hour care.

Thinking of everyone else who needs a hug x
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. "I am a volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • tru
    • By tru 9th Aug 18, 7:17 AM
    • 8,690 Posts
    • 45,356 Thanks
    tru
    Morning

Congratulations Elona

Gers I'm glad your mum is home

I Love comps Thinking of you, that must bring up lots of memories and emotions xx

I've been enjoying the cooler weather, I have more energy and am really getting stuck in to things, rather than just doing the bare minimum. I have some washing to sort and the kitchen floor needs cleaning. That'll probably be it for today, mum is coming round for coffee later this morning. She said she needs to moan, so I expect aunt has been making a nuisance of herself again.

My experience of HMRC lately -

Online, trying to get an ID to be an agent (all info was from their own Gov.co.uk site). I need a new account, even if I already have an account. It has to be an agent account. So I do this, halfway through it tells me I can do it from my own account if I already have one. So I start filling in the form to apply for an ID – their form, from their site – and they want to know my Agent ID. I don't have one, I'm filling this in to get one. Gggrrr.

Payroll software sent all info of employee leaving, this was accepted by HMRC – I know this because you get a notification saying so. It's impossible to leave info out, it won't send if any sections haven't been filled in. Just had a bill saying no wage details have been sent since March, based on past wages this is what you owe for PAYE/NI. So I ring HMRC, the whole conversation went like this, this is just a snippet -
    ME - “He's a sole trader, had an employee who started as an apprentice, qualified then stayed on for a few months, left in March and he no longer has any employees”
    HMRC - “Is he a director?”
    ME - “No. There is no company – he's a sole trader”
    HMRC - “And he's just taken on an apprentice?”
    I made an excuse and got off the phone before I lost my temper. I need an old phone for the satisfaction of slamming the phone down, pressing the red button on a cordless one isn't quite the same, lol.

Bulletproof
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 9th Aug 18, 7:24 AM
    • 16,146 Posts
    • 137,471 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good morning chums and <<hugs >> for the sad and worried, a lot of folk are going through a tough time at the moment and I am thinking of you all and sending good vibes xx

The best thing today is that its grey, overcast and raining Yay I never thought I would be so pleased to see some rain.The local farmers where I am in Kent as in many places have been really going through it with all of the excessive heat so some nice gentle rain all day today is forecast .

Youngest DD is off today and taking her little Maltese terrier for his No 1 trim as he really needs his coat clipping with all the heat we have had and we are all away on holiday next week

I am meeting my eldest DD for a coffee in Asdas at lunchtime as she works almost next door I haven't any shopping to buy at least as I am using up as much of my fresh stuff as possible.

Hope everyone has a good day what ever they are doing

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Half year totals = £166.19. July added equals £204 .29,Todays August food shop added equals £227.75
    • bellabella
    • By bellabella 9th Aug 18, 8:22 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 1,151 Thanks
    bellabella
    [QUOTE=Nelski;74636372]Morning

Bella you made me laugh with your mums request for G strings. Sounds like a very with it lady to me You reminded me of a conversation I had when mum shopping on Monday. "I need some party liners" Dont you mean panty liners? "i dont like calling them that Party liners sounds so much better" So party liners they are then
    Such a nicer way of describing them than her alternative choice of pee pads ......ewww

My mum calls her party pads Extra Particulars I have no idea i really dont what thats all about
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 9th Aug 18, 8:24 AM
    • 12,534 Posts
    • 41,448 Thanks
    Nelski
    [QUOTE=bellabella;74636578]
    Morning

My mum calls her party pads Extra Particulars I have no idea i really dont what thats all about
    Originally posted by Nelski
    love it
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 9th Aug 18, 9:04 AM
    • 2,020 Posts
    • 16,448 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning everyone,

It's been raining but it's dry and windy for now.

Last night was date night with my gran. She had picked some small flowers from her garden and put them in a small crystal vase in the middle of the table. She's so cute, I could have burst into tears! Steak and veg was on the menu, followed by apple turnover and custard - lovely.

Today I'm working all day, literally all day. From 8am-11pm. I don't mind as I've got tons to do. I fly to Gibraltar on Monday for work, back on Tuesday afternoon. My passport is away being renewed so work are kindly paying for it to be fastracked for £100. It's all go!

ILC - A difficult day ahead. Always is to say goodbye to a place which holds so many memories. Hope it's pretty painless.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 9th Aug 18, 9:15 AM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 21,662 Thanks
    snoozer
    Hi everyone,

It's so much cooler here in Yorkshire than in Bedfordshire (although I know it's cooled down there now).

Sis-in-law, Sue is coming over this afternoon and then we'll carry on to Edinburgh. We've hired a big house on the basis that the offspring said they would come up and now they aren't. Anyway, Steve's best friend and his wife will come and join us on Monday so that will be good.

We're going into Skipton this morning but will have a quiet afternoon so Steve can have a rest.

ILC, I know how you feel - mum lived in the house I grew up in for 60 years and was born in the house next door - lots of history. The house has been extended by about double since it was sold but it needed it. It had already been doubled in size over the years, it had started life as a little cottage for tthe level crossing keeper when there was a railway line crossing the A49. When I was little there was still the line but the crossing was automated. The line disappeared when I was about 4, I remember standing by the fence watching the last train. After that I used to use it as a short cut to run to my nana's next door.
    Last edited by snoozer; 09-08-2018 at 9:21 AM.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 9th Aug 18, 9:43 AM
    • 2,174 Posts
    • 22,093 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Well yesterday I lost it with the Drs. OH had another 'passing out' fit on Tuesday night when SS was there, lots of Drs etc rushing about and they moved his bed to the top of the ward.

I went in yesterday.......he had been asleep, but was with it , Dr came and calmly informed me that all the tests they had run on OH were negative and that they were starting the discharge procedure....to home!! I argued with him for ages in the end I said to him that what he was telling us was to 'put up, and shut up'. He denied that but thats what it boils down to. I told them I wanted to meet with the discharge team. I would not be in today but wanted someone there at 11am tomorrow morning. I also told him that if OH passed out I would ring for an ambulance and they would take him back to the Royal and so it would go on. I have just had enough. What they are doing is virtually sending him home to be bed bound for the rest of his life........I am so angry. I also found out they had put him on oromorph, why????? because of his headache........

Its a much cooler here this morning, have all the doors and windows open to let in the fresh air. No real plans for the day, friends coming in this afternoon for an hour, will be nice to see them.

No idea whats for supper, will do a freezer dive and see what I can find, might just do egg and chips.

I hope things are OK with the TA's not sure if I have missed a post or two.

update.

OH has rung me from the hospital, apparently someone has been to see him this morning, OH has explained about our situation and who ever it was gas agreed that OH is not fit enough to be transferred home. I could not get the gist of all he was saying, so will have to wait till I go in tomorrow to get the full story, but there appears to be someone who understands my concerns at last.
    Last edited by csarina2; 09-08-2018 at 11:32 AM.
    • dp1
    • By dp1 9th Aug 18, 1:03 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 2,429 Thanks
    dp1
    Hi everyone
    Nice sunny day here today....might get a sit outside with my book later. Eldest DD has gone on the train to London to look at rooms to rent. She has 4 to look at today and then more lined up tomorrow if today's aren't what she wants or have gone before she seems them. She's staying over in a youth hostel tonight.
    I have a nice man here cleaning my oven - I just found out recently that it's a free yearly service if you have a Currys know how plan. If I'd known earlier I could have had it cleaned once a year for the last three years.
    Planning on going down to my mam and dads when hes finished. Tomorrow I'm hoping to start painting downstairs....however my paint hasn't been delivered yet!
    Have a good day everyone
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 9th Aug 18, 1:33 PM
    • 879 Posts
    • 10,235 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Good afternoon

Thanks for starting us off Holly & very happy you had such a lovely day yesterday.

Gentle Hugs to all who want or need them

csarina - thank heavens for someone with common sense. It must have been like hitting your head against a brick wall.

After a very cold night it is now drizzling steadily & is quite chilly so am just plucking up the courage to go out as I have urgent letters to post & need a small amount of shopping.

See you all tomorrow

MrsSD
    • Elona
    • By Elona 9th Aug 18, 1:53 PM
    • 304 Posts
    • 3,087 Thanks
    Elona
    csarina

I was so pleased to see your update and glad someone is showing sense. It is ridiculous That DH should keep having a bad turn , go to hospital, get discharged, then have another bad turn etc. etc. At some stage the circle has to be broken and the problem identified and solved if possible.

Someone has just been to help with the cleaning and the house looks much better. DD has sent me some photos and a couple of short videos of the baby and it is so sweet. Just about to make some lunch , maybe a lean burger in a bread roll with some lovely little Heritage yellow and purple tomatoes.
    Washing is on the line outside and I am keeping an eye out as rain is forecast for this afternoon. Dishwasher is partly loaded and kitchen is nice and tidy and a new cotton top I bought in a sale has just been delivered.

An A*****ed food delivery has arrived and been unpacked and I have been to the post office to get some cash so I feel quite organised for once.

Hugs to all
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 9th Aug 18, 3:27 PM
    • 842 Posts
    • 11,444 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Afternoon all,
    We have just dropped the DGD home and I'm shattered ! My, my, can that girl talk! She only stopped talking long enough to feed her face, she was even talking in her sleep . I don't know what language it was though, sounded a bit Russian to me . I have tidied all the craft stuff away, but the hoovering can wait till tomorrow, likewise cleaning the patio ...... it seems someone has been chalk drawing on it . I think Mr Fix It was the instigator of that.
    We gave DGS a set of gaming headphones as part of his birthday present today, although his birthday is not until Sept 1st, so he could keep in contact with Mr Fix It when gaming, unfortunately Mr Fix It's won't arrive till tomorrow . So DGS is having a one way conversation (which we can hear our end, but cannot reply ) including much singing and he has us in stitches
    We also called in the timber yard on the way home and have ordered more wood, personally I think the back garden is beginning to look like timber yard itself . I hope the weather forecast is reasonable for next week as we hope to repair the big shed. At our pace that could take up the whole week .
    Tea tonight will be whatever I can put my hand on first in the fridge/freezer

I lovecomps you will always hold your memories in your head and heart. Hugs
    Csarina what a farce . I hope you get some sense soon. I shall send some healing vibes to your DH.
    TA and Mr TA thinking of you both.
    Judi are you OK ? hugs xx
    Bellabella my imagination ran riot about your DH's nocturnal wanderings
    Nelski I nearly choked on my coffee
    Tru . re HMRC.
    Holly I'm glad you had a good time yesterday. Now don't put me to shame by doing too much housework .

Take care all and I'll see you tomorrow, as I think it will be an early night for me !
    Last edited by nannywindow; 09-08-2018 at 3:35 PM.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,517Posts Today

8,725Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin