Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scorpionxedos
    • By scorpionxedos 8th Aug 18, 3:06 PM
    • 130Posts
    • 18Thanks
    scorpionxedos
    New Virgin SMS's
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:06 PM
    New Virgin SMS's 8th Aug 18 at 3:06 PM
    I'm a VM customer including the mobile service and have received a message saying "to get ready for new SIMs". Has anyone else received this email? Is it something to be cautious/worried about?They say that they are changing sims when customers take new contracts, which I did about 2 months ago.

My sim is at least 5+ years old, It might be that they are just future-proofing on their part, but I only use the phone, texting, etc nothing of any great skill. My sim is 3G, so are they just getting us on to, or ready for, 4G? They say existing contracts will remain.

If we leave our phones as is, are they likely to cut us off? Or rather can we just ignore any further contact.

I know there are sometimes reps for some companies like Eon. Do VM do the same? assistance?
Page 1
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 8th Aug 18, 5:50 PM
    • 3,222 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 8th Aug 18, 5:50 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 5:50 PM
    As you already seem to know, they're changing all sims from 3G to 4G. I think they've been doing this for a couple of years now.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 8th Aug 18, 6:46 PM
    • 7,264 Posts
    • 7,219 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 8th Aug 18, 6:46 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 6:46 PM
    If we leave our phones as is, are they likely to cut us off? Or rather can we just ignore any further contact.
    Originally posted by scorpionxedos
    VM become very insistent if you don't change your SIM when they ask you to - they nag you via SMS, then by letter, and eventually a real person phones you.

They threaten that they will 'turn off' the old SIM.

One warning...

A newish unlocked handset worked straight away with the new SIM.

An older VM handset which was locked to the old VM 3G network had to be unlocked to work with the new VM 4G network, and needed new APN settings.

(It's also a problem with iphones that locked to the first VM SIM card used - they need to be unlocked to move from 3G to 4G.)

But VM customer support don't seem to realise this.
    • RealGem
    • By RealGem 8th Aug 18, 7:21 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    RealGem
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:21 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:21 PM
    VM become very insistent if you don't change your SIM when they ask you to - they nag you via SMS, then by letter, and eventually a real person phones you.

They threaten that they will 'turn off' the old SIM.

One warning...

A newish unlocked handset worked straight away with the new SIM.

An older VM handset which was locked to the old VM 3G network had to be unlocked to work with the new VM 4G network, and needed new APN settings.

(It's also a problem with iphones that locked to the first VM SIM card used - they need to be unlocked to move from 3G to 4G.)

But VM customer support don't seem to realise this.
    Originally posted by eddddy
    Thanks, that explains why my new SIM didn't work with my oldish S3 mini, but the girl in the VM shop sorted it out for me.

Will I have to get a new SIM for my even older non-smartphone, which I only use for phone calls and texts? I can't have that just stop working. That's my main phone.

Thanks
    People only get upset
    when their expectations are not met.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

311Posts Today

2,326Users online

Martin's Twitter