New Virgin SMS's

Options
I'm a VM customer including the mobile service and have received a message saying "to get ready for new SIMs". Has anyone else received this email? Is it something to be cautious/worried about?They say that they are changing sims when customers take new contracts, which I did about 2 months ago.

My sim is at least 5+ years old, It might be that they are just future-proofing on their part, but I only use the phone, texting, etc nothing of any great skill. My sim is 3G, so are they just getting us on to, or ready for, 4G? They say existing contracts will remain.

If we leave our phones as is, are they likely to cut us off? Or rather can we just ignore any further contact.

I know there are sometimes reps for some companies like Eon. Do VM do the same? assistance?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As you already seem to know, they're changing all sims from 3G to 4G. I think they've been doing this for a couple of years now.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,440 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If we leave our phones as is, are they likely to cut us off? Or rather can we just ignore any further contact.

VM become very insistent if you don't change your SIM when they ask you to - they nag you via SMS, then by letter, and eventually a real person phones you.

They threaten that they will 'turn off' the old SIM.

One warning...

A newish unlocked handset worked straight away with the new SIM.

An older VM handset which was locked to the old VM 3G network had to be unlocked to work with the new VM 4G network, and needed new APN settings.

(It's also a problem with iphones that locked to the first VM SIM card used - they need to be unlocked to move from 3G to 4G.)

But VM customer support don't seem to realise this.
  • RealGem
    RealGem Posts: 569 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    eddddy wrote: »
    VM become very insistent if you don't change your SIM when they ask you to - they nag you via SMS, then by letter, and eventually a real person phones you.

They threaten that they will 'turn off' the old SIM.

One warning...

A newish unlocked handset worked straight away with the new SIM.

An older VM handset which was locked to the old VM 3G network had to be unlocked to work with the new VM 4G network, and needed new APN settings.

(It's also a problem with iphones that locked to the first VM SIM card used - they need to be unlocked to move from 3G to 4G.)

But VM customer support don't seem to realise this.

Thanks, that explains why my new SIM didn't work with my oldish S3 mini, but the girl in the VM shop sorted it out for me.

Will I have to get a new SIM for my even older non-smartphone, which I only use for phone calls and texts? I can't have that just stop working. That's my main phone.

Thanks
    Look at it this way... In a hundred years who's gonna care?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure