Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FTBNow
    • By FTBNow 8th Aug 18, 2:26 PM
    • 125Posts
    • 100Thanks
    FTBNow
    Help to Buy ISA bonus and lender cashback
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:26 PM
    Help to Buy ISA bonus and lender cashback 8th Aug 18 at 2:26 PM
    Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of help and clarification!

We are ready to exchange on the property now, and my solicitor has told me that the Help to Buy ISA bonus and cashback from the Lender with our mortgage (about 750 altogether for both) cannot be used at exchange - only completion - which is fair enough.

However, she is requesting the full balance (11,023.50) in order to exchange. Is this normal? This includes solicitor fees, mortgage deposit and so on. From what I've read the Help to Buy ISA bonus and cashback can only be used for legal fees, but if these are all paid off surely it will just be dead money?

I've requested we pay 750 less on exchange and the outstanding 750 made up of these two things on completion, but not sure if that can be done?

Any help appreciated.
Page 1
    • arciere
    • By arciere 8th Aug 18, 2:43 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    arciere
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:43 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:43 PM
    The Help to buy ISA bonus is claimed by your solicitor on your behalf (at least this is what happened to us. You need to get a closing statement from the bank which shows how much you had in the account before you closed it.
    It is correct that the bonus cannot be used at exchange (which is usually 10% unless agreed otherwise), but your solicitor should get your bonus well before the completion date. So when he does the calculations on how much you still owe him, he should take into account the money he received from the government.
    • FTBNow
    • By FTBNow 8th Aug 18, 2:44 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    FTBNow
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:44 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:44 PM
    Thanks for the reply arciere.

Solicitor has just phoned back, and has now confirmed that the money due on exchange is 750 less - with the 750 being required for completion. Had my heart going for a second though!
    • arciere
    • By arciere 8th Aug 18, 2:47 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    arciere
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:47 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:47 PM
    In my experience the money for the exchange comes from your deposit, not the bonus. At the end of the day the seller doesn't care where the money comes from, as long as he gets the 10% deposit. So I am surprised that you got the 'discount' at exchange and not after that.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 8th Aug 18, 2:51 PM
    • 61,352 Posts
    • 54,597 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:51 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:51 PM
    So I am surprised that you got the 'discount' at exchange and not after that.
    Originally posted by arciere
    Solicitor needs to ensure that the entire funds are in place to effect completion when exchange is made. As the ISA bonus etc is guaranteed the solicitor doesn't require all the funds to be in hand so to speak.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,924Posts Today

7,162Users online

Martin's Twitter