Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • StarshipUK
    • By StarshipUK 8th Aug 18, 1:27 PM
    • 46Posts
    • 5Thanks
    StarshipUK
    New electrical item with only EU plug
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:27 PM
    New electrical item with only EU plug 8th Aug 18 at 1:27 PM
    I bought a brand new electrical (computer related) item from a UK company. It has arrived with a EU plug on it and no UK plug.

I thought there was UK law\legislation what said that products sold for domestic use in the UK needs to be supplied with a UK plug (unless its a shaver) but cant seem to find it. Does such legislation exist?
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Aug 18, 1:33 PM
    • 20,689 Posts
    • 16,499 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:33 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:33 PM
    I don't know but the electric toothbrush that I bough recently only had an EU plug on the charger. Luckily I had a spare EU to UK converter, but I did wonder the same as you.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 8th Aug 18, 1:36 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 2,990 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:36 PM
    It does. Contact the retailer and ask for the correct version in exchange.
    Please forgive the deliberate omission of apostrophes on some posts whilst I await MSE to do something about the daft codes that appear in their place when typing on certain devices.
    • StarshipUK
    • By StarshipUK 8th Aug 18, 1:36 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    StarshipUK
    Bathroom equipment like shavers and toothbrushes (with a bathroom\shaver plug) does not count apparently from what i have managed to find.

My item is not bathroom related.

Only thing I have found is this: https://www.pat-testing-training.net/articles/non-uk-plug-adaptors.php but no specific evidence to backup the claim:
    New Equipment:

All domestic electrical appliances sold in the UK are required to have a BS1363 plug or conversion plug fitted
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 8th Aug 18, 1:37 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 2,990 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:37 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:37 PM
    I don't know but the electric toothbrush that I bough recently only had an EU plug on the charger. Luckily I had a spare EU to UK converter, but I did wonder the same as you.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    An EU plug or one designed to fit in a shaver socket? All electric toothbrushes I've ever bought have the latter.
    Please forgive the deliberate omission of apostrophes on some posts whilst I await MSE to do something about the daft codes that appear in their place when typing on certain devices.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 8th Aug 18, 4:05 PM
    • 11,412 Posts
    • 8,196 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:05 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:05 PM
    I doubt it was an "EU plug" rather than a 2-pin shaver socket plug as most electrical items designed to be situated in the bathroom usually have.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 8th Aug 18, 4:07 PM
    • 11,412 Posts
    • 8,196 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:07 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:07 PM
    Bathroom equipment like shavers and toothbrushes (with a bathroom\shaver plug) does not count apparently from what i have managed to find.

My item is not bathroom related.

Only thing I have found is this: https://www.pat-testing-training.net/articles/non-uk-plug-adaptors.php but no specific evidence to backup the claim:
    New Equipment:

All domestic electrical appliances sold in the UK are required to have a BS1363 plug or conversion plug fitted
    Originally posted by StarshipUK
    Who is the seller and are your sure they're based in the UK?
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 8th Aug 18, 4:14 PM
    • 10,187 Posts
    • 11,452 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:14 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:14 PM
    II thought there was UK law\legislation what said that products sold for domestic use in the UK needs to be supplied with a UK plug (unless its a shaver) but cant seem to find it. Does such legislation exist?
    Originally posted by StarshipUK
    Here you go:
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1994/1768/made

Specifically sections 8 & 10 relate to the type of plugs that should be fitted.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Aug 18, 6:57 PM
    • 20,689 Posts
    • 16,499 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 8th Aug 18, 6:57 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 6:57 PM
    An EU plug or one designed to fit in a shaver socket? All electric toothbrushes I've ever bought have the latter.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    I doubt it was an "EU plug" rather than a 2-pin shaver socket plug as most electrical items designed to be situated in the bathroom usually have.
    Originally posted by neilmcl

Well, it's a 2 pin plug that fits into an EU to UK converter as would an EU plug, but you may well be right that it's technically a shaver socket plug. I don't have a shaver socket so I can't test it at home, although I'm not sure I'd want the charger in a watery environment anyway.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 8th Aug 18, 7:25 PM
    • 2,849 Posts
    • 3,665 Thanks
    unforeseen
    What did you actually buy?
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 8th Aug 18, 7:32 PM
    • 2,849 Posts
    • 3,665 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Well, it's a 2 pin plug that fits into an EU to UK converter as would an EU plug, but you may well be right that it's technically a shaver socket plug. I don't have a shaver socket so I can't test it at home, although I'm not sure I'd want the charger in a watery environment anyway.
    Europlug and shaver plug are 2 different beasts.
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/04/BS_4573_shaver_plug_compared_to_Europlug.jpg
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 8th Aug 18, 7:49 PM
    • 2,048 Posts
    • 1,245 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    They charge no problems, you don't have an issue putting said electrical device in your mouth.
    Hi there! Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,015Posts Today

8,698Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin