Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 7th Aug 18, 8:21 AM
    • 1,736Posts
    • 1,012Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    0 WOW
    Reasonably priced places to eat easily accessible from Gatwick north terminal without a car?
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:21 AM
    0 WOW
    Reasonably priced places to eat easily accessible from Gatwick north terminal without a car? 7th Aug 18 at 8:21 AM
    We travel by train to Gatwick Airport next Monday and have an overnight stay at the Premier Inn North terminal and we are looking for somewhere to get a meal, nothing fancy, MacDonalds or similar will do, I know the Premier Inn has a restaurant but don't really want to be spending 40 or 50 on food (2 adults and a 15 year old) that would cost us 25-30 for the equivalent at my local pub. We are not interested in ready made sandwich meal deals from Boots or M&S. Bear in mind we will be on foot and my other half is unable to walk very far. It looks like MacDonalds would be a case of getting the monorail back to the south terminal and then about a 200mtr walk but I'm not sure if it's accessible on foot.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
Page 1
    • lindens
    • By lindens 7th Aug 18, 8:28 AM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 7,100 Thanks
    lindens
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:28 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:28 AM
    can you use Just Eat or similar and get a takeaway delivered to the hotel room?
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 7th Aug 18, 9:00 AM
    • 6,167 Posts
    • 8,877 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:00 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:00 AM
    The Jack Fairman pub [Wetherspoons] is worth making the effort to get to.

Train from South Terminal one stop to Horley, and a 2 minute walk.
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 7th Aug 18, 9:02 AM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:02 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:02 AM
    can you use Just Eat or similar and get a takeaway delivered to the hotel room?
    Originally posted by lindens
    Do hotels allow this?
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
    • peat
    • By peat 7th Aug 18, 9:05 AM
    • 471 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    peat
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:05 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:05 AM
    Wetherspoons at Gatwick North terminal called The Red Lion, reasonably priced and efficient service.
    https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/west-sussex/the-red-lion-after-security-north-terminal
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 7th Aug 18, 9:10 AM
    • 6,167 Posts
    • 8,877 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:10 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:10 AM
    Wetherspoons at Gatwick North terminal called The Red Lion, reasonably priced and efficient service.
    https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/west-sussex/the-red-lion-after-security-north-terminal
    Originally posted by peat
    Cheaper to eat in @ Premier Inn.
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 7th Aug 18, 9:11 AM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:11 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:11 AM
    Originally posted by peat
    No good to us though as it's for the evening of our overnight stay, I've already checked what's at the airport and just about everything is after security, we need before security.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 7th Aug 18, 9:12 AM
    • 6,167 Posts
    • 8,877 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:12 AM
    Do hotels allow this?
    Originally posted by interstellaflyer
    I doubt it, and definitely not delivered to your room as you need a key card to access the accommodation areas.
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 7th Aug 18, 9:12 AM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    Cheaper to eat in @ Premier Inn.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    And it's after security so not a lot of use to us.
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 7th Aug 18, 9:13 AM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    I doubt it, and definitely not delivered to your room as you need a key card to access the accommodation areas.
    Yep that's what I thought, plus takaways probably wouldn't deliver to airports due to the strict parking rules.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 7th Aug 18, 9:14 AM
    • 34,082 Posts
    • 40,223 Thanks
    Browntoa
    This is a 20 minutes walk

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-d1653468?m=19905
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 7th Aug 18, 9:15 AM
    • 6,167 Posts
    • 8,877 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    No good to us though as it's for the evening of our overnight stay, I've already checked what's at the airport and just about everything is after security, we need before security.
    There is a Wetherspoons before Security at North Terminal. But the prices are well above a normal non-airport Wethersoons.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 7th Aug 18, 9:17 AM
    • 6,167 Posts
    • 8,877 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    And it's after security so not a lot of use to us.
    Que? Premier Inn North Terminal isn't even in the Terminal Building, but a 2 minute walk from the train shuttle.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 7th Aug 18, 9:19 AM
    • 6,167 Posts
    • 8,877 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    There's quite a few easy options in Horley. You can walk it, but one stop on the train is much easier.
    • benjus
    • By benjus 7th Aug 18, 9:22 AM
    • 5,243 Posts
    • 3,231 Thanks
    benjus
    Que? Premier Inn North Terminal isn't even in the Terminal Building, but a 2 minute walk from the train shuttle.
    I think it was a reference to the recommendation for The Red Lion (Wetherspoons North Terminal). You said "Cheaper to eat in @ Premier Inn" and interstellaflyer continued your sentence with "And it's after security so not a lot of use to us."
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 7th Aug 18, 9:23 AM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    Yes I know, it's next to the Sofitel which we've stayed at before.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 7th Aug 18, 9:28 AM
    • 6,167 Posts
    • 8,877 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Sorry.....I'm multi-tasking, doing more than one thing at once doesn't come easy to me. Still think the Jack Fairman 'spoons at Horley is your best bet.
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 7th Aug 18, 9:57 AM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    Sorry.....I'm multi-tasking, doing more than one thing at once doesn't come easy to me. Still think the Jack Fairman 'spoons at Horley is your best bet.
    Yes thanks, I'm considering it but it will cost us 9.00 return which isn't bad, just weighing that and the extra travelling against on airport facilities.
    • alwaysskint96
    • By alwaysskint96 7th Aug 18, 10:32 AM
    • 925 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    alwaysskint96
    get the x10 bus to crawley central- loads of cheap places to eat there
    • lindens
    • By lindens 7th Aug 18, 12:47 PM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 7,100 Thanks
    lindens
    Do hotels allow this?
    yes they do
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,519Posts Today

8,246Users online

Martin's Twitter