Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ginashamz
    • By ginashamz 6th Aug 18, 5:08 PM
    • 50Posts
    • 2Thanks
    ginashamz
    purchased another RX8
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:08 PM
    purchased another RX8 6th Aug 18 at 5:08 PM
    Hi
    my car was written off and I have recently purchased a Mazda RX8 PZ. This is actually my second RX8 so I have decent experience on how to take care of the engine.

when i got the car (private sale) i didn't get a compression test done but it seemed to drive fine. What i am concerned about is the rust on panels underneath the front wings and wheel arches. I guess there must be rust on the underside too.

I have taken a picture of the rust on the front passenger side, underneath the front wing - see link below. It is the same on the driver side. Is it worth getting this repaired and then a professional underbody treatment with sealant? This will cost around 850 in total. The car is only worth about 1500.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UppQz6xscfLgG3BvqYTAyNyMbY1MV9VP/view?usp=sharing

Or shall I just sand off the rust and re-spray myself?

Last edited by ginashamz; 06-08-2018 at 5:09 PM. Reason: add link for picture
Page 1
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 6th Aug 18, 6:01 PM
    • 18,039 Posts
    • 16,351 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:01 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:01 PM

Honestly, that's not worth doing. That's coming through from the inside - and the only way to sort that is with a new wing, and then rebuilding whatever structural rot is behind it.

Given that we're talking about an RX8, if the engine is healthy, then what you've got there is an engine donor for a non-rotten but broken car.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 6th Aug 18, 6:23 PM
    • 3,558 Posts
    • 11,336 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:23 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:23 PM

Honestly, that's not worth doing. That's coming through from the inside - and the only way to sort that is with a new wing, and then rebuilding whatever structural rot is behind it.

Given that we're talking about an RX8, if the engine is healthy, then what you've got there is an engine donor for a non-rotten but broken car.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    As AdrianC says. I'd be looking for a better body to start with.
    Once you start "rust chasing" it often shocking how much has to come out to make a proper
    repair. The seam on the sill looks rough too. What's the car look like underneath?
    "Luck happens where hard work meets opportunity"
    • Arklight
    • By Arklight 6th Aug 18, 6:24 PM
    • 1,410 Posts
    • 2,223 Thanks
    Arklight
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:24 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:24 PM
    Agree with Adrian, that looks too severe to be sanded down. I'm surprised that didn't come up as an MOT fail.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 6th Aug 18, 6:50 PM
    • 18,039 Posts
    • 16,351 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:50 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:50 PM
    Agree with Adrian, that looks too severe to be sanded down. I'm surprised that didn't come up as an MOT fail.
    Originally posted by Arklight
    Not holed, so all the tester can do is a prod'n'tap with the official "corrosion assessment toffee hammer tool."

The wing's the bit that looks crunchiest in that - and that's not structural, so would only fail for sharp edges. What's behind there is structural, and almost certainly rotten, but can't be seen...
    • peter12345678910
    • By peter12345678910 7th Aug 18, 5:31 AM
    • 286 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    peter12345678910
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:31 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:31 AM
    Rusted sills can be a mot failure, this kind of rust I have seen before on the focus mk1. Though there are a few good lucking RX8 with low mileage starting from 1000 from 12 years old with absolutely no paint corrosion. Is there anything special about this....it must have a very strong service history?
    When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.

Friedrich Nietzsche
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 7th Aug 18, 6:25 AM
    • 2,590 Posts
    • 2,191 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    • 7th Aug 18, 6:25 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 6:25 AM
    The first thing I would do is get a compression test to find out if it's worth saving. If the engine is good then you can look at the bodywork. There are plenty of wings about second hand and someone is now producing sill repair panels for these (details on the RX8 Owners cub forum)

The PZ is one of the desirable special editions, along with the Anniversary edition. Good luck with the compression test
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 7th Aug 18, 9:03 AM
    • 24,379 Posts
    • 51,501 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:03 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:03 AM
    I bought a PZ new in 2006. Lovely car to drive but I wouldn't want to put that level of performance through a structure as rotten as that appears to be.
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 7th Aug 18, 11:33 AM
    • 2,452 Posts
    • 1,359 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:33 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:33 AM
    Dont the cills rust from the inside out? So expect it to be worse or get worse.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 7th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    • 17,156 Posts
    • 10,279 Thanks
    motorguy
    The first thing I would do is get a compression test to find out if it's worth saving. If the engine is good then you can look at the bodywork. There are plenty of wings about second hand and someone is now producing sill repair panels for these (details on the RX8 Owners cub forum)

The PZ is one of the desirable special editions, along with the Anniversary edition. Good luck with the compression test
    Originally posted by Nodding Donkey
    +1

A good PZ is worth significantly more than 1,500 and the rot isnt insurmountable.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • almillar
    • By almillar 7th Aug 18, 1:37 PM
    • 7,473 Posts
    • 3,058 Thanks
    almillar
    The PZ is the original RX8 tinkered with (suspension mostly) by ProDrive. Many of these tinkered bits went into the newer RX8. You already know that running an RX8 isn't the money saving choice, apart from the low purchase price, but the PZ is a special one, and it'll be better to save this shell than other less valuable ones. If it's a good engine, repair the body.
    • ginashamz
    • By ginashamz 7th Aug 18, 3:15 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ginashamz
    Thanks for all the input. The car went through its MOT only in June by the previous owner and they only passed it when they replaced both real coils and stabiliser links at a cost of 500. There was also an advisory note stating 'rust on rear of car (boot floor/rear wheel arch) will need welding next year'.

I got the car compression tested today and had it on a ramp for an inspection. The compression results were actually quite good and the mechanic was surprised to see such number (high 6s on both rotars). While the underside wasn't terrible for a 12 year old car, there were obvious signs of rust but nothing major to the point where the chassis will imminently break in half due to rust. The mechanic suggested to just remove any debris of rust and use some rust inhabitant to slow down the process. I have left this for now as I still want some more input on the best way to go forward.

Here is a picture of the other side of the car - the lower part of the front wing.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-9WkeLjo7PxRmxpOEZlaEktSkhSY1c5MWs0YzRkYU9SNlJr/view?usp=sharing
    Last edited by ginashamz; 07-08-2018 at 3:16 PM. Reason: add link for picture
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 7th Aug 18, 3:42 PM
    • 17,156 Posts
    • 10,279 Thanks
    motorguy
    Thanks for all the input. The car went through its MOT only in June by the previous owner and they only passed it when they replaced both real coils and stabiliser links at a cost of 500. There was also an advisory note stating 'rust on rear of car (boot floor/rear wheel arch) will need welding next year'.

I got the car compression tested today and had it on a ramp for an inspection. The compression results were actually quite good and the mechanic was surprised to see such number (high 6s on both rotars). While the underside wasn't terrible for a 12 year old car, there were obvious signs of rust but nothing major to the point where the chassis will imminently break in half due to rust. The mechanic suggested to just remove any debris of rust and use some rust inhabitant to slow down the process. I have left this for now as I still want some more input on the best way to go forward.

Here is a picture of the other side of the car - the lower part of the front wing.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-9WkeLjo7PxRmxpOEZlaEktSkhSY1c5MWs0YzRkYU9SNlJr/view?usp=sharing
    Originally posted by ginashamz
    Surely this is as per the advice already given - get two second hand wings and fit them?
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • ginashamz
    • By ginashamz 7th Aug 18, 4:00 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ginashamz
    Surely this is as per the advice already given - get two second hand wings and fit them?
    Originally posted by motorguy
    The cost of a front wing in good condition is around 100 plus an extra 60 to fit per side so in total 320. Surely, I should just try and sand it down myself and re-spray?
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 7th Aug 18, 4:44 PM
    • 1,941 Posts
    • 1,323 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    The cost of a front wing in good condition is around 100 plus an extra 60 to fit per side so in total 320. Surely, I should just try and sand it down myself and re-spray?
    Originally posted by ginashamz
    I know little practical about cars, but even I know that painting over something that is rotting from the inside is a false economy.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 7th Aug 18, 5:47 PM
    • 3,558 Posts
    • 11,336 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    I don't want to put the whole thing down, but the problem is that once you start pulling things apart body-wise to replace bits, you almost inevitably find that the bits that you need to bolt to are nearly as bad, if not worse. And the bits that hold on the bits, that the original bits are bolted to. . .
    You get the idea.
    The fact that there is an advisory on the tinwork on the back end tends to support my suspicions about the body on this car.
    If you're serious about getting the car sorted, rather than just "patching it up until the next ticket" then you need to think about finding someone who can undertake proper restoration work, rather than your average garage.
    Think expensive.
    While this model of the car might be desirable, unless you're an enthusiast willing to do the work yourself, there are probably cars with sound bodywork available much cheaper than those sort of repairs.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 7th Aug 18, 6:09 PM
    • 17,156 Posts
    • 10,279 Thanks
    motorguy
    I don't want to put the whole thing down, but the problem is that once you start pulling things apart body-wise to replace bits, you almost inevitably find that the bits that you need to bolt to are nearly as bad, if not worse. And the bits that hold on the bits, that the original bits are bolted to. . .
    You get the idea.
    The fact that there is an advisory on the tinwork on the back end tends to support my suspicions about the body on this car.
    If you're serious about getting the car sorted, rather than just "patching it up until the next ticket" then you need to think about finding someone who can undertake proper restoration work, rather than your average garage.
    Think expensive.
    While this model of the car might be desirable, unless you're an enthusiast willing to do the work yourself, there are probably cars with sound bodywork available much cheaper than those sort of repairs.
    Originally posted by Jackmydad
    Its not uncommon to have to replace wings without it necessarily meaning the rest of the car is rotten.

Not hard or expensive to bolt on a couple of S/H wings
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 7th Aug 18, 6:21 PM
    • 2,343 Posts
    • 3,880 Thanks
    k3lvc
    So this is as well as your M2 which you bought to replace the last RX8

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844293
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 7th Aug 18, 6:26 PM
    • 3,558 Posts
    • 11,336 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    Its not uncommon to have to replace wings without it necessarily meaning the rest of the car is rotten.

Not hard or expensive to bolt on a couple of S/H wings
    Originally posted by motorguy
    No it's not. but you still don't know what's there until you take the old ones off.
    And as I said, the back end underneath needing work doesn't bode well.

I'm just pointing out the possible pitfalls of trying to repair rust to the OP.
    I really do hope that I'm wrong and it's an easy fix for them.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 7th Aug 18, 6:37 PM
    • 17,156 Posts
    • 10,279 Thanks
    motorguy
    No it's not. but you still don't know what's there until you take the old ones off.
    And as I said, the back end underneath needing work doesn't bode well.

I'm just pointing out the possible pitfalls of trying to repair rust to the OP.
    I really do hope that I'm wrong and it's an easy fix for them.
    Originally posted by Jackmydad
    As it doesnt seem to be the O/Ps main car, i'd have the wings unbolted and see whats behind it, then make a decision from there and look the parts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

116Posts Today

2,281Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin