Will it affect my benefits?

My husband and I receive child tax credits, he works full time and me part time, now for the past couple of years my parents have their post sent here and they are on the electoral roll at mine and my husbands address, changed their drivers licenses to this address as well.. however they don’t actually live here. They are retired and travel for 6-9 months of the year, they sold their home to fund this, and the rest of the time they stay in their camper van in our garden. The only thing they pay for is the electric they use, they don’t pay towards any other bills etc so I was just wondering where I stand really with regards to benefits, they don’t live with us but on paper they look like they do. Any advice greatly welcomed thank you! :)

Comments

• Craig1981
    Craig1981 Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    hello

you will have a very difficult time proving that they do not live with you unfortunately. electoral role, drivers, licences, post.... they live with you.

make sure you declare your situation in any benefit application
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Which benefits are you talking about - different rules for different benefits.
  • Topcat1982
    Topcat1982 Posts: 391 Forumite
    For child tax credits it doesn't matter if they live there or not.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It can help if correspondence in this situation is addressed as c/o.

Even if they lived with you they would not be part of your household for benefits purposes but as non-dependants would be expected to contribute if you were claiming Housing Benefit (or housing costs in UC) and/or Council Tax Reduction. As previous post will make no difference to Tax Credits.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure