Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Confused2781
    • By Confused2781 6th Aug 18, 12:41 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Will it affect my benefits?
    • #1
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:41 PM
    Will it affect my benefits? 6th Aug 18 at 12:41 PM
    My husband and I receive child tax credits, he works full time and me part time, now for the past couple of years my parents have their post sent here and they are on the electoral roll at mine and my husbands address, changed their drivers licenses to this address as well.. however they donít actually live here. They are retired and travel for 6-9 months of the year, they sold their home to fund this, and the rest of the time they stay in their camper van in our garden. The only thing they pay for is the electric they use, they donít pay towards any other bills etc so I was just wondering where I stand really with regards to benefits, they donít live with us but on paper they look like they do. Any advice greatly welcomed thank you!
Page 1
    • Craig1981
    • By Craig1981 6th Aug 18, 1:02 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    • #2
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:02 PM
    • #2
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:02 PM

    you will have a very difficult time proving that they do not live with you unfortunately. electoral role, drivers, licences, post.... they live with you.

    make sure you declare your situation in any benefit application
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 6th Aug 18, 1:08 PM
    • 12,072 Posts
    • 13,914 Thanks
    • #3
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:08 PM
    • #3
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:08 PM
    Which benefits are you talking about - different rules for different benefits.
    • Topcat1982
    • By Topcat1982 6th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    • 385 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    • #4
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    • #4
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    For child tax credits it doesn't matter if they live there or not.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 6th Aug 18, 3:49 PM
    • 969 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    • #5
    • 6th Aug 18, 3:49 PM
    • #5
    • 6th Aug 18, 3:49 PM
    It can help if correspondence in this situation is addressed as c/o.

    Even if they lived with you they would not be part of your household for benefits purposes but as non-dependants would be expected to contribute if you were claiming Housing Benefit (or housing costs in UC) and/or Council Tax Reduction. As previous post will make no difference to Tax Credits.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

492Posts Today

4,047Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I'm fed up with this "you're stupid of you disagree with my Brexit view" mentality from BOTH sides. I've met cleve?

  • Today's poll: If we ignore PM's Brexit deal (as many seem to) and make it a stark choice - 2nd referendum (aka peo?

  • How kind of you to send this tweet. With rhymes a plenty, giving heartstrings a tug. Reading through it was such a?

  • Follow Martin