Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thetoothfairy
    • By thetoothfairy 6th Aug 18, 9:25 AM
    • 1,418Posts
    • 18,194Thanks
    thetoothfairy
    Rules about car covers
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:25 AM
    Rules about car covers 6th Aug 18 at 9:25 AM
    We live in a residential area that requires us to buy a permit to park the car in marked bays on the street.

For the past few months, a camper van has been parked here with a cover over it, so itís unclear if it has a permit.

I wouldnít mind except it often is there for weekend on end and the people park it in such a way as to take up two spaces.

I donít know if it has a permit but it was uncovered on Sunday (no parking permits required on Sundayís) and I couldnít see one.

The local council in their permit rules say that a permit needs to be displayed at all times. And that a car shouldnít be covered to obscure the permit.

Yet when I called them, they said that they are not allowed by law to touch a cover on a car, so canít do anything.

Is that correct?

Also should a car be required to have its number plate showing when parked on the toad - even if itís in a parking bay on that road?

Thabks
    2017: BFG blueray; designer lampshade set; theatre tickets x 2 lots: a holiday to Yorkshire; record player; Beatrix Potter gift set; family tickets to Leeds Castle
Page 1
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 6th Aug 18, 9:35 AM
    • 2,420 Posts
    • 2,392 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:35 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:35 AM
    Sounds like catch22 to me. If council can't see the number plate they can't issue a ticket.
    What are you trying to achieve?
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • facade
    • By facade 6th Aug 18, 9:37 AM
    • 3,337 Posts
    • 1,762 Thanks
    facade
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:37 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:37 AM
    Absolutely correct.
    It is a well known dodge used by motorcyclists and scooters when parked illegally, they cover their number plate with the cover and parking wardens (or whatever they are called) can't move the cover to read the number plate.

Obviously they can't drive with the plates obscured, and I suppose the warden could simply wait until they come to drive away to get the VRM.

Unless the council are going to lift the van and take it to the pound because it is not displaying a permit, and is covered then they can't do anything, unless someone were to send them a video of the camper being uncovered on a weekday showing the VRM.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • thetoothfairy
    • By thetoothfairy 6th Aug 18, 9:40 AM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 18,194 Thanks
    thetoothfairy
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:40 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:40 AM
    Sounds like catch22 to me. If council can't see the number plate they can't issue a ticket.
    What are you trying to achieve?
    Originally posted by Alter ego
    Iíd like the car to get a fine as it is not displaying its permit. That may sound a bit petty but I pay a lot for mine and if I didnít display it one day for some reason Iíd get a hefty fine.

It is frustrating because parking is limited and it doesnít even park to the end of the bay to maximise space, effectively taking two spaces.
    2017: BFG blueray; designer lampshade set; theatre tickets x 2 lots: a holiday to Yorkshire; record player; Beatrix Potter gift set; family tickets to Leeds Castle
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 6th Aug 18, 9:42 AM
    • 11,457 Posts
    • 8,250 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:42 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:42 AM
    I!!!8217;d like the car to get a fine as it is not displaying its permit. That may sound a bit petty but I pay a lot for mine and if I didn!!!8217;t display it one day for some reason I!!!8217;d get a hefty fine.

It is frustrating because parking is limited and it doesn!!!8217;t even park to the end of the bay to maximise space, effectively taking two spaces.
    Originally posted by thetoothfairy
    Then you lift the cover and get evidence that there's no permit, or better still just go and have a friendly word with your neighbour if it bothers you that much.
    • thetoothfairy
    • By thetoothfairy 6th Aug 18, 9:46 AM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 18,194 Thanks
    thetoothfairy
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:46 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:46 AM
    They aren!!!8217;t a neighbour unfortunately or I would. The cover has been locked
    • missile
    • By missile 6th Aug 18, 10:41 AM
    • 9,624 Posts
    • 4,799 Thanks
    missile
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:41 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:41 AM
    Take a note of the number when cover is removed. You can check tax and insurance. DVLA can disclose the registered keeper if you have sufficient case to ask. If your council is anything like mine don't expect any help from them.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • TooManyPoints
    • By TooManyPoints 6th Aug 18, 12:52 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    TooManyPoints
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:52 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:52 PM
    "...and parking wardens (or whatever they are called) can't move the cover to read the number plate."
    Why not? Have they been told they shouldn't by their employers or are you suggesting there is some sort of legislation preventing it?
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 6th Aug 18, 1:03 PM
    • 2,236 Posts
    • 3,015 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:03 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:03 PM
    Why not? Have they been told they shouldn't by their employers or are you suggesting there is some sort of legislation preventing it?
    Originally posted by TooManyPoints
    It sounds as if this cover's locked down, so they can't.

In the case of fabric/plastic slip-over covers, I expect they've been told not to move or remove them. Inevitably one will get damaged, or the vehicle underneath will get damaged, and the owner will then be claiming the cost from the authority.
    Please forgive the deliberate omission of apostrophes on some posts whilst I await MSE to do something about the daft codes that appear in their place when typing on certain devices.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 6th Aug 18, 1:12 PM
    • 10,195 Posts
    • 11,467 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    In the case of fabric/plastic slip-over covers, I expect they've been told not to move or remove them. Inevitably one will get damaged, or the vehicle underneath will get damaged, and the owner will then be claiming the cost from the authority.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    I would have thought/hoped that if that was to happen then whoever was responsible for the damage would fight any claim due to the vehicle number plate being illegally covered. (assuming that the vehicle was parked on a public highway).

If the owner decided to take it to court, they would probably have to explain why they parked their vehicle with the number plate not visible as required by law knowing that risked a fine of up to £1000.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 6th Aug 18, 1:18 PM
    • 2,088 Posts
    • 1,259 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    I would have thought/hoped that if that was to happen then whoever was responsible for the damage would fight any claim due to the vehicle number plate being illegally covered. (assuming that the vehicle was parked on a public highway).

If the owner decided to take it to court, they would probably have to explain why they parked their vehicle with the number plate not visible as required by law knowing that risked a fine of up to £1000.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    Can Civil Enforcemet Officers deal with number plate offences?
    Hi there! Weíve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youíre unsure why itís been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 6th Aug 18, 1:23 PM
    • 10,195 Posts
    • 11,467 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Can Civil Enforcemet Officers deal with number plate offences?
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    I don't know, but I do know that they can deal with vehicle excise offences and if they are unable to check the VED status of a car because of a hidden plate, they might be okay to remove anything illegally covering it.
    • Supersonos
    • By Supersonos 6th Aug 18, 1:30 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    Supersonos
    Absolutely correct.
    Originally posted by facade
    Why does the law allow these ridiculous get-outs and loopholes?
    • thetoothfairy
    • By thetoothfairy 6th Aug 18, 1:37 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 18,194 Thanks
    thetoothfairy

Is that even the case if itís parked on a public road but within a Bay Area (the parking Bay Area is one long white dotted line as opposed to specific bays)?
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 6th Aug 18, 1:40 PM
    • 2,088 Posts
    • 1,259 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    I don't know, but I do know that they can deal with vehicle excise offences and if they are unable to check the VED status of a car because of a hidden plate, they might be okay to remove anything illegally covering it.
    But the offence is not displaying the vrm if it's covered not tax.

Being civil enforcement I'd say they need to know there is an offence of no tax and not merely suspect it as the vrm is covered.
    Hi there! Weíve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youíre unsure why itís been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 6th Aug 18, 2:37 PM
    • 3,194 Posts
    • 1,985 Thanks
    Car 54
    Non-display of a number plate is an offence under section 42(1) of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994, so it is a vehicle excise offence. It may depend upon the precise definition of the officers' powers.

Bizarrely, the Act makes no mention of roads, public or not, so it seems the offence can be committed in a car park, or indeed your garage.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 6th Aug 18, 2:48 PM
    • 11,457 Posts
    • 8,250 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Originally posted by TooManyPoints
    It's probably a liability thing.
    Last edited by neilmcl; 06-08-2018 at 2:51 PM.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 6th Aug 18, 3:01 PM
    • 7,666 Posts
    • 7,029 Thanks
    Herzlos
    You can try reporting to it your local/community police officer and see what they have to say.

Does it move away and return on a regular basis? Can you block it out so that it has to find somewhere else to park? Eventually it'll get shifted somewhere someone will cut off the cover to expose the lack of permit and then the council will pounce on it.
    • thetoothfairy
    • By thetoothfairy 6th Aug 18, 3:12 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 18,194 Thanks
    thetoothfairy
    It does move but I am never around when it does! But always returns! It!!!8217;s kust annoying as parking is so in demand so I just feel that someone who doesn!!!8217;t even live here is taking up our precious space. If it has a permit showi g then fine, but it doesn!!!8217;t so it is frustrating
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 6th Aug 18, 3:14 PM
    • 2,088 Posts
    • 1,259 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Non-display of a number plate is an offence under section 42(1) of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994, so it is a vehicle excise offence. It may depend upon the precise definition of the officers' powers.

Bizarrely, the Act makes no mention of roads, public or not, so it seems the offence can be committed in a car park, or indeed your garage.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    It's not an offence until you shut the door.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,186Posts Today

7,556Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin