Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mungo76
    • By Mungo76 1st Aug 18, 10:37 PM
    • 77Posts
    • 33Thanks
    Mungo76
    Role being outsourced to consultants
    • 1st Aug 18, 10:37 PM
    Role being outsourced to consultants 1st Aug 18 at 10:37 PM
    My query is Iíve been served notice of potential redundancy, Iím a department of one.
    Iíve been told in writing my role will be outsourced, I know this will be outsourced to consultants for say half my hours with colleagues picking up the other bits (that bit has been given verbally)
    Whatís not fitting is the fact the company are stating they are outsourcing, meaning to my my job role is still there, and sounds like a way to get rid of me, but through redundancy.
    Is this unfair?
Page 1
    • lulu650
    • By lulu650 2nd Aug 18, 9:41 AM
    • 919 Posts
    • 979 Thanks
    lulu650
    • 2nd Aug 18, 9:41 AM
    • 2nd Aug 18, 9:41 AM
    Yes, your employer can do this. They do need to look into whether there is a suitable alternative role in the company for you though right up until your termination date.

More information here; https://beta.acas.org.uk/your-rights-during-redundancy
    Saving money right, left and centre
    • marlot
    • By marlot 3rd Aug 18, 7:47 AM
    • 3,642 Posts
    • 2,763 Thanks
    marlot
    • 3rd Aug 18, 7:47 AM
    • 3rd Aug 18, 7:47 AM
    My query is Iíve been served notice of potential redundancy, Iím a department of one.
    Iíve been told in writing my role will be outsourced, I know this will be outsourced to consultants for say half my hours with colleagues picking up the other bits (that bit has been given verbally)
    Whatís not fitting is the fact the company are stating they are outsourcing, meaning to my my job role is still there, and sounds like a way to get rid of me, but through redundancy.
    Is this unfair?
    Originally posted by Mungo76
    Has anyone mentioned TUPE? If it applies, you could be transferred to the consultants providing the service.

This can be rather complex. eg. https://www.employmentlawwatch.com/2014/10/articles/employment-uk/the-end-of-the-percentage-argument-in-tupe-negotiations/
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 3rd Aug 18, 9:35 AM
    • 22,547 Posts
    • 11,162 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 3rd Aug 18, 9:35 AM
    • 3rd Aug 18, 9:35 AM
    you could be transferred to the consultants providing the service

That depends on location though.
    I was made redundant due to outsourcing to Bangalore.
    Yes I could have taken the role in Bangalore on local rates, but it's unlikely a UK native is going to want to do that.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 4th Aug 18, 11:18 PM
    • 17,558 Posts
    • 10,648 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 4th Aug 18, 11:18 PM
    • 4th Aug 18, 11:18 PM
    Has anyone mentioned TUPE? If it applies, you could be transferred to the consultants providing the service.

This can be rather complex. eg. https://www.employmentlawwatch.com/2014/10/articles/employment-uk/the-end-of-the-percentage-argument-in-tupe-negotiations/
    Originally posted by marlot
    If only half the responsibilities of the role are going to the outsourcer it suggests the role itself is no longer required, thus i dont think tupe would apply.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • marlot
    • By marlot 5th Aug 18, 7:43 AM
    • 3,642 Posts
    • 2,763 Thanks
    marlot
    • 5th Aug 18, 7:43 AM
    • 5th Aug 18, 7:43 AM
    If only half the responsibilities of the role are going to the outsourcer it suggests the role itself is no longer required, thus i dont think tupe would apply.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    Perhaps. It depends whether its the principal role that's being outsourced.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 8th Aug 18, 1:49 PM
    • 17,558 Posts
    • 10,648 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:49 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:49 PM
    Perhaps. It depends whether its the principal role that's being outsourced.
    Originally posted by marlot
    If half the responsibilities are being given to the third party and the remaining half split between colleagues it sounds like the role is no longer required.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

113Posts Today

1,983Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • How much of your income do you spend on holidays each year? Please vote in this week's MSE site poll... https://t.co/LZ3YIGra1p

• RT @FinanceJames: @MartinSLewis Absolutely do. I've been shouldered out of the way by cyclists - while on a bike myself - because I'd stopp?

• I no longer have a car. I mostly walk (& occasionally cycle). I don't need lecturing on bad drivers, I lost my moth? https://t.co/tsBYUEhRjt

• Follow Martin