Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EpicFishFingers
    • By EpicFishFingers 1st Aug 18, 9:42 AM
    • 16Posts
    • 1Thanks
    EpicFishFingers
    Don't go to a Council-run MOT centre if there's any chance of failing at all.
    • 1st Aug 18, 9:42 AM
    Don't go to a Council-run MOT centre if there's any chance of failing at all. 1st Aug 18 at 9:42 AM
    Just learned this the hard way.

6 months ago I noticed I had a dead headlight and tried to replace it myself. Had previously paid Halfrauds 22 only to watch the chap effortlessly take a rubber seal off the back of the headlight housing, take out the bulb and put the new one in.
    Tried the magic trick myself and just spent half an hour shredding my hand. Tried shaking it, pulling and pushing, thrusting it (oo-er), the car bounced on its suspension but the !!!! wouldn't come out of the headlight housing. Something came up and I drove off, and forgot about it.

Last week I noticed the MOT had run out so I booked it in at the local council place. Forgot about the headlight. Remembered at the test centre, and handed the mechanic the replacement bulb (maybe he, a mechanic, could hack it).

He outright said he probably wouldn't do it. I should have taken the car there and then but was late for my train.

The council run MOT centre shuts at 4pm. It's a proper compound with vanguard fencing etc - I suspect they won't leave the key on the wheel for me - I won't get back form work till gone 6, as is the norm with full-time employment.

So now the car will fail, they won't fix it, I'll have to drive it tomorrow (possibly illegally, depending on what "minimum roadworthiness" actually means) to somewhere else and, because of the timing of picking it up/dropping it off, I'll be outside of the "next working day" so I'll have to pay for either a full-price or discount second-test MOT

The thing is, if the car had working lights but failed on something unforeseen, I'd still be in this situation, forking out for a second MOT.

So aside form the obvious "check the common stuff before you go", I'd add "don't go to the council MOT centre at all if it shuts before you can get home from work". Because you WILL fork out for another part or full MOT.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, completely offsets the benefit of going to the council-run MOT centre in the first place. Very frustrating.
Page 3
    • tiggerbodhi
    • By tiggerbodhi 7th Aug 18, 11:46 AM
    • 361 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    tiggerbodhi
    However every single driver should be able to check the basics of tyres and lights before an mot
    Originally posted by angrycrow
    Before an MOT, Should be checking Tyres, lights and fluids every week at least, Tyres I walk round check every morning, they are the little bits of rubber that keep you from whoever your god maybe!

And for not needing headlights in the daytime, guess it doesn't rain heavily where you live?

If you were stopped by a nice Policeman and your headlamps didn't work in the daytime its still an offence, yes they would be being pedantic, but hey everyone has a bad day and giving out three points can be cathartic...
    Last edited by tiggerbodhi; 07-08-2018 at 11:53 AM.
    every time I manage to get one more breath into this body, I will sing a song of thanks to you my brothers, my sisters, my friends, may your sleep be peaceful, and angels sing sweetly in your ears.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,110Posts Today

8,442Users online

Martin's Twitter