When does the academic year start?

Options
My eldest has applied for student finance as an independent student as they will be 25 on 4th September. SLC have now said that the academic year starts on 1st September and therefore they will only be 24 so don't class as an independent student.

I can't find anywhere that defines the academic year start date on SLC. The university states their academic year starts on 18th September for 2018-19.

Any advice?

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Would they not qualify under the 'supported themselves for at least 3 years'? I've no idea what criteria is used to determine this.

https://www.ucas.com/finance/student-finance-england/finance-independent-students
  • t_savez
    Options
    I imagine the SLC say 1st of Sept due to range of start dates across the UK and need to release funds before the course start.

But the actual start date is the 18th!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    t_savez wrote: »
    I imagine the SLC say 1st of Sept due to range of start dates across the UK and need to release funds before the course start.

But the actual start date is the 18th!

Course start date is 18th
    Academic year start date os 1st
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 11 August 2018 at 7:17PM
    Options
    There is a logic to this, in that the school year cohort is for all pupils born from 1 September to 31 August. So having a 1 September cut off puts everyone in the same school year in the same situation.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure