Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nerak99
    • By nerak99 31st Jul 18, 2:08 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    nerak99
    Small claim where to serve papers
    • 31st Jul 18, 2:08 PM
    Small claim where to serve papers 31st Jul 18 at 2:08 PM
    I did some work for a company and they owe me 5,500. I have contracts for the work done and also a number messages from the firm saying I was about to be paid. I have been paid some money by the firm previously but I have heard from other people (after I accepted work!) that he is an awful payer.

The firm has a fancy London address which is purely an accommodation address. It is a one man company and he works from home. I know his home address.

Should I serve papers to his home address in Cambridge or to London. Cambridge is a lot more convenient for me (and presumably) for him.

Also, he has a fancy house and car although he might claim he has no assetts.
Page 1
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 31st Jul 18, 6:36 PM
    • 6,802 Posts
    • 6,420 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 31st Jul 18, 6:36 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 6:36 PM
    under company law a company must have a registered office address. You are partly right in regarding the London address as an accommodation one, but that is almost certainly exactly what it is , the company's registered office address art which it may be contacted for legal purposes.

a court would expect you to have served on the registered office. In practice of course you would serve on both, but neither will mean you are going to win your case.
    • nerak99
    • By nerak99 1st Aug 18, 3:35 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nerak99
    • 1st Aug 18, 3:35 PM
    • 1st Aug 18, 3:35 PM
    Thanks for the reply.

So far as the London address being an accommodation address. It is marketed as such by the firm that actually owns the building and I have looked it up at Companies House as the business address.

I think posting to both would be a good idea and funnily enough I did realise that just getting the address right was not going to be sufficient to win my case.
    Last edited by nerak99; 01-08-2018 at 3:35 PM. Reason: spelling
    • Aquamania
    • By Aquamania 1st Aug 18, 9:06 PM
    • 1,979 Posts
    • 798 Thanks
    Aquamania
    • 1st Aug 18, 9:06 PM
    • 1st Aug 18, 9:06 PM
    Thanks for the reply.

So far as the London address being an accommodation address. It is marketed as such by the firm that actually owns the building and I have looked it up at Companies House as the business address.

I think posting to both would be a good idea and funnily enough I did realise that just getting the address right was not going to be sufficient to win my case.
    Originally posted by nerak99
    You send your claim to the court.
    The court then serves them on the defendant.
    I think you can only provide one address (per defendant) for service.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 2nd Aug 18, 8:06 AM
    • 6,802 Posts
    • 6,420 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 2nd Aug 18, 8:06 AM
    • 2nd Aug 18, 8:06 AM
    You send your claim to the court.
    The court then serves them on the defendant.
    I think you can only provide one address (per defendant) for service.
    Originally posted by Aquamania
    a letter before action still has to be sent by the OP before starting the claim through the court
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 2nd Aug 18, 3:10 PM
    • 3,652 Posts
    • 3,465 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 2nd Aug 18, 3:10 PM
    • 2nd Aug 18, 3:10 PM
    OP send it to the address where YOU know was the last place the company operated from.

As it's an individual vs a commercial entity, your local court will automatically be used, should he contest the claim.
    • Aquamania
    • By Aquamania 8th Aug 18, 7:30 AM
    • 1,979 Posts
    • 798 Thanks
    Aquamania
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:30 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:30 AM
    a letter before action still has to be sent by the OP before starting the claim through the court
    Originally posted by 00ec25
    I would suggest the OP sends any LBA to the same service address they propose to provide to the court
    (but agree additional copies could be sent to other addresses if the OP is so inclined)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,372Posts Today

8,357Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin