Supply for dishwasher and washing machine from copper pipes?

Warren1989
Warren1989 Posts: 76 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hi all,

Had the plumbing done for the sink, which is going above these pipes.
AVVfA.png

The washing machine is going to the left and dishwasher to the right.

What's the best way to get these supplied with water? Should I cut the plastic pipe and add a feed in that way or can I do it nicely from the ends of the copper piping?

Comments

• that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    most appliances use only cold water these days.

if you cut the plastic you will need accessible stop valves. What about drainage and power?

Hopefully the oven/dish washer /washing machine are not all on the same circuit
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    That waste pipe looks high for the sink trap
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would take the plastic off the copper and change the connector to a T, I would also cut the plastic where I want the other pipe and add another T. If you need hot water for the appliances do the same for that pipe.

Connecting them to the waste is going to be 'interesting' for you.
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Do it from the copper ONCE the unit has been installed - keeping all valves accessible.

(Agreed about height of waste - drop it down now while you have access if you can.)

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    if this plumbing has just been done why were there no takes off for appliances put in at the same time?

This could have been after the service valve or before, each having a service valve

nearly all appliances are cold fill these days.

Also be careful with the depth as those pipes will stop an appliance getting pushed right back and may protrude from the unit run.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    tonyh66 wrote: »
    Connecting them to the waste is going to be 'interesting' for you.

I'd guess the plastic bag on the ground contains a sink trap with twin appliance connectors... if not then the OP needs to obtain one. ;)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Warren1989
    EachPenny wrote: »
    I'd guess the plastic bag on the ground contains a sink trap with twin appliance connectors... if not then the OP needs to obtain one. ;)

I have one of these already, and a long waste pipe for the dishwasher so that it reaches to under the sink.

I think I am sorted regarding the waste from the appliances due to having these, right?
  • Warren1989
    if this plumbing has just been done why were there no takes off for appliances put in at the same time?

This could have been after the service valve or before, each having a service valve

nearly all appliances are cold fill these days.

Also be careful with the depth as those pipes will stop an appliance getting pushed right back and may protrude from the unit run.

Yes - it was just done. There must have been a miscommunication since we spoke about the dishwasher and washing machine, even when he started the job. I wasn't there when he finished and he hasn't replied to me about how he envisioned the wm/dw being connected. It's very frustrating!

This was the original brief "Extension of copper cold and hot pipes and waste pipe to new sink position. Adding in provision for dishwasher and washing machine either side"
  • Warren1989
    that wrote: »
    most appliances use only cold water these days.

if you cut the plastic you will need accessible stop valves. What about drainage and power?

Hopefully the oven/dish washer /washing machine are not all on the same circuit

Good point. There wouldn't be an accessible stop value if I cut the plastic.

You're right, it is only cold water I need.

They are on the same circuit but the electrician has checked my appliances and assured me there is enough something such that you would need to run everything, with all 4 hobs on for a week before it took too much power?
  • Warren1989
    That waste pipe looks high for the sink trap

What do you base it off? There will be laminate flooring with some underlay. The plinth for the kitchen units is 160mm, and floor units are 701mm I believe.

It is a McAlpine Universal Space Saver Plumbing Kit, I just did some rough measurements and it looks like it should just about be OK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure