Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • venomx
    • By venomx 13th Jul 18, 5:15 PM
    • 125Posts
    • 16Thanks
    venomx
    How Secure Are We, Shopping Online ?
    • 13th Jul 18, 5:15 PM
    How Secure Are We, Shopping Online ? 13th Jul 18 at 5:15 PM
    How secure are we entering our card details online ? I know to avoid dodgy emails and websites without the padlock.. but for the most part, are we safe to shop online ?>
Page 1
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 13th Jul 18, 5:21 PM
    • 9,298 Posts
    • 14,344 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 13th Jul 18, 5:21 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 5:21 PM
    How secure are we entering our card details online ? I know to avoid dodgy emails and websites without the padlock.. but for the most part, are we safe to shop online ?>
    Originally posted by venomx
    I've been shopping online for 20 years had zero issues.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • binaryuniverse
    • By binaryuniverse 13th Jul 18, 5:37 PM
    • 707 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    binaryuniverse
    • 13th Jul 18, 5:37 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 5:37 PM
    The technological world we live in, right now, it's almost impossible to be 100% safe. You can take plenty of steps to mitigate it, of course. But there's little you can do, when the business that has your details has their data stolen.

I've never had a problem at all, until the Ticketmaster breach. There my credit card details were stolen, and tried to be used. My provider was on the ball, however, and prevented the transactions they attempted.
    But that has made me rethink how I buy things online. I don't think I'll ever use my debit card to buy online again. Having someone use my credit card fraudulently is inconvenient, but the card issuer will deal with it. Having my debit card used could mean I'm out of pocket for some time, whilst it gets sorted out. And then it becomes a big problem, if I can't pay the rent/bills.
    • venomx
    • By venomx 13th Jul 18, 6:03 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    venomx
    • 13th Jul 18, 6:03 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 6:03 PM
    The technological world we live in, right now, it's almost impossible to be 100% safe. You can take plenty of steps to mitigate it, of course. But there's little you can do, when the business that has your details has their data stolen.

I've never had a problem at all, until the Ticketmaster breach. There my credit card details were stolen, and tried to be used. My provider was on the ball, however, and prevented the transactions they attempted.
    But that has made me rethink how I buy things online. I don't think I'll ever use my debit card to buy online again. Having someone use my credit card fraudulently is inconvenient, but the card issuer will deal with it. Having my debit card used could mean I'm out of pocket for some time, whilst it gets sorted out. And then it becomes a big problem, if I can't pay the rent/bills.
    Originally posted by binaryuniverse
    This is the main reason i started the thread because i heard of ticketmaster issue, glad you got it all sorted though
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 14th Jul 18, 9:20 AM
    • 4,451 Posts
    • 4,970 Thanks
    robatwork
    • 14th Jul 18, 9:20 AM
    • 14th Jul 18, 9:20 AM
    Yes. And no.

The way I protect myself is to have a dedicated credit card that I only use online.

Easier to trace activity and anything suspicious that way.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 14th Jul 18, 9:38 AM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 1,222 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 14th Jul 18, 9:38 AM
    • 14th Jul 18, 9:38 AM
    Are we safe crossing the road? Or driving on a busy motorway? As with all things in life, if you're careless, you'll more than likely come a cropper.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

790Posts Today

7,642Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin