Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lagib
    • By lagib 13th Jul 18, 1:39 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 10Thanks
    lagib
    Energy switch
    • 13th Jul 18, 1:39 PM
    Energy switch 13th Jul 18 at 1:39 PM
    Just changed energy supplier, through MSE cheap energy club, from Green Network Energy to One select with a monthly direct debit reducing from 105.83 to 99.52. By my books that is a big saving. I have taken a risk with joining a small company but their customer care record is good. I would say however, that my telephone contact with them was not a good experience as I joined a long queue of callers and never did get to speak to anyone and this happened twice. I had to email them finally and they did respond with an apology to say they had experienced many calls at the time. I don't believe them entirely and expect the same delay in response each time I have to call. I think it is a problem with small companies as my daughter has just joined Avro Energy (another small company) and has experienced the same thing.

Thankyou MSE Cheap Energy Club whom I swear by.
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 13th Jul 18, 3:15 PM
    • 3,084 Posts
    • 2,022 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 13th Jul 18, 3:15 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 3:15 PM
    Is the switch progressing OK ?

What do you need to talk to them about ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 13th Jul 18, 7:25 PM
    • 3,220 Posts
    • 927 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 13th Jul 18, 7:25 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 7:25 PM
    Yeah that is the problem with small companies.

I concluded it was worth spending 30 a year to be able to get hold of them when required.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 13th Jul 18, 7:39 PM
    • 2,537 Posts
    • 2,511 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 13th Jul 18, 7:39 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 7:39 PM
    I would say however, that my telephone contact with them was not a good experience as I joined a long queue of callers and never did get to speak to anyone and this happened twice. I had to email them finally and they did respond with an apology to say they had experienced many calls at the time. I don't believe them entirely and expect the same delay in response each time I have to call. I think it is a problem with small companies as my daughter has just joined Avro Energy (another small company) and has experienced the same thing.j
    Originally posted by lagib
    Yeah that is the problem with small companies.

I concluded it was worth spending 30 a year to be able to get hold of them when required.
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    That is something of a sweeping generalisation! I have had calls answered quickly with small companies, and answered after a very long wait with big companies. There are so many different suppliers that it really is meaningless to generalise that all small companies have long waiting times.

My current providers are both centred on electronic communication: one via e-mail and the other via web-chat. With the e-mail I have always got a meaningful response the same day, and with the web-chat I have been speaking to someone within less than a minute.

I do have to say, however, that I don't contact my energy company that often. I provided my meter readings online - regularly - and they bill me correctly. It is pretty rare, therefore for me to need to contact them, but on the rare occasions that I do, the response is swift and issues dealt with efficiently. I do wonder somewhat about people who always seem to be phoning their suppliers; what is it that you need to talk to them about so much?
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 13th Jul 18, 8:12 PM
    • 3,220 Posts
    • 927 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 13th Jul 18, 8:12 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 8:12 PM
    I had such big problems trying to get hold of IRESA a year ago by phone. And the OP appears to have similar probs with another company.

Maybe you could tell me which small energy companies are good at answering the phone for the benefit of others.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 14th Jul 18, 12:42 AM
    • 2,537 Posts
    • 2,511 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 14th Jul 18, 12:42 AM
    • 14th Jul 18, 12:42 AM
    I had such big problems trying to get hold of IRESA a year ago by phone. And the OP appears to have similar probs with another company.

Maybe you could tell me which small energy companies are good at answering the phone for the benefit of others.
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    Iresa are notorious, to the extent that the regulator has banned them from taking on new customers because of their appalling customer service.

I'm not sure that my anecdotal and out of date experiences are of much use to you. My point was about gross generalisations regarding small companies. As I said previously, my current suppliers, and the ones before that are focused on electronic communication, rather than telephone, but all respond swiftly and efficiently, whether through web-chat or e-mail. FWIW, my gas supplier is Zog (has been for several years) who use e-mail and normally reply, with a response that solves the issue, within a few hours. Electricity is currently with Outfox the Market, who respond on web-chat in less than a minute. Now, queue all the people who are unhappy with one, or both, of them.
    • Cazandco
    • By Cazandco 14th Jul 18, 4:33 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cazandco
    • 14th Jul 18, 4:33 AM
    • 14th Jul 18, 4:33 AM
    I switched recently from EDF to Affect through MSE. Mondsy evening at 19.25 a chap knocked on my door to read the meter. He stared at it for ages but didnt leave a card. I asked why he was sent and he said there was a 'discrepancy'. I said I didnt understand as I had just switched. He said 'that'll be it then'.

He talked a lot and as he left I realised there was no identification on his orange lanyard. I thought it had twisted round.

Yesterday I had my first email from Affect energy - asking me to read my meter!!

It was 18.00 and they closed at 17.50 so I sent an email which they wont see until Monday.

Has anyone else had this happen ?
    • lagib
    • By lagib 19th Sep 18, 3:47 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    lagib
    • 19th Sep 18, 3:47 PM
    • 19th Sep 18, 3:47 PM
    That is something of a sweeping generalisation! I have had calls answered quickly with small companies, and answered after a very long wait with big companies. There are so many different suppliers that it really is meaningless to generalise that all small companies have long waiting times.

My current providers are both centred on electronic communication: one via e-mail and the other via web-chat. With the e-mail I have always got a meaningful response the same day, and with the web-chat I have been speaking to someone within less than a minute.

I do have to say, however, that I don't contact my energy company that often. I provided my meter readings online - regularly - and they bill me correctly. It is pretty rare, therefore for me to need to contact them, but on the rare occasions that I do, the response is swift and issues dealt with efficiently. I do wonder somewhat about people who always seem to be phoning their suppliers; what is it that you need to talk to them about so much?
    Originally posted by ValiantSon
    A somewhat late response but apologies. I was not inferring that only small companies are difficult to contact even though it sounded like it, only that I had this experience with this company. I rarely contact my energy supplier as I too supply monthly meter readings but in my case it was early days during the switch and I had pertinent questions that needed a quick answer.
    • chrisw99
    • By chrisw99 19th Sep 18, 5:00 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    chrisw99
    • 19th Sep 18, 5:00 PM
    • 19th Sep 18, 5:00 PM
    Even the cheaper BG tariffs are now called Everything Online, and you have to contact them electronically not via phone. Saving me 200ish though so worth doing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,587Posts Today

6,948Users online

Martin's Twitter