PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a house advice

Options
Hi
We are in the process of moving house, our current home is sold STC, and we have found the perfect house to buy. We have made an offer over the asking price but the buyer wants the house marketed for a few more days. We have viewed the house (myself twice) without the estate agent although the viewing was arranged through them and I believe we have a good rapport with the seller as we could talk freely with no agent around, though I understand having sold myself their desire to keep it on the market to maximise their sale. It's so frustrating as a buyer not knowing what the other offers are as we would go a little higher but would risking throwing money away when we could already have the highest offer.

So, I know the estate agent can't tell me what the highest offer is, but the seller gave me her number - I never asked for it - in case we had any issues with the agent (i had informed her that our previous offer had been increased and a day later the agent still hadn't relayed this to her and they had a couple of issues with them too).

My question....would it be acceptable to phone the seller and enquire about other offers, or at least try and find out if ours is the highest as their deadline approaches? As i say we seem to have a good rapport, just don't want to blow it by breaking any rules. Just really want the house.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't bother. They'll accept it or they won't. I'd probably put a sunset on the offer.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • gmluk
    gmluk Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Cheers. Not really about whether I should bother, it's whether or not it's an acceptable thing to do.
  • mangog
    mangog Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    If it were me, that would put me off entirely. Maybe just my nature but I would feel very uncomfortable with someone phoning directly to interrogate me about other offers. Those sorts of awkward conversations are what agents are for! But that's just me - others might react more positively and if the seller gave you their number perhaps they would be more open to it.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    gmluk wrote: »
    it's whether or not it's an acceptable thing to do.

Unfortunately, that depends entirely on the vendor's outlook. Some will be fine with it. With others it will put their backs up and think that's what the pay the agent for.
  • gmluk
    Options
    Thanks for your input. I'm expecting to find out if another offer is accepted before the one we really want. I think that would give me a good reason to phone and ask at least if my offer is the highest so I know what to do about the other offer. It's more of a game than I expected it to be.
  • oystercatcher
    oystercatcher Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My son recently had an offer accepted on a house and they had been told that there was already an offer of £X (over asking) so they had a good guide to make an even higher offer. The seller was also interviewing viewers as to suitability , wanting local people who would settle down rather than a buy to let investor !!

When I bought the house I now live in 19 years ago I was also told that there was an offer of £x so I had a guide to offer above, there was a brief bidding war but I 'won'

I would say no harm in asking if they refuse to tell then just bid what you feel is right .
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • gmluk
    Options
    I've had no chance to enter a bidding war as the agents won't disclose offers made by other people. I understand that and I guess they don't have time to be phoning round potential buyers every time one of them adds £500 to their offer, it would get messy. But not knowing where my offer stands is frustrating as i'm tempted to up it to make sure, but could be chucking 1000s away for no reason. I guess i'll phone the seller after the weekend (they have more viewings) and see if she'll let me know if my offer is still highest. Nothing to lose I guess.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure