Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • strawberries1
    • By strawberries1 12th Jul 18, 7:13 PM
    • 696Posts
    • 146Thanks
    strawberries1
    HSBC Mortgage Offer About To Expire. Help!
    • 12th Jul 18, 7:13 PM
    HSBC Mortgage Offer About To Expire. Help! 12th Jul 18 at 7:13 PM
    Hi all,

My mortgage offer expires on the 22nd ie on Sunday but HSBC says we must complete by 20th and no extension.

Tenant moved out today. The Notice of Eviction is for the 17th so we can't exchange or complete prior.

I rang HSBC to request an extension which they refused. My sol wrote them as well. However, speaking to them today they say my sol said the tenant was due to move and we're looking to exchange in August ie no date was specified.

In their response to my sols HSBC says completion must be the friday before ie 20th so I'm in fact losing 2days instead of HSBC adding 1 day to make it 23rd (Monday).

How can I appeal to HSBC to extend by a week or a few days so I don't lose about 975 in fees? They're refusing to budge on the 6months.
Page 1
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 12th Jul 18, 7:32 PM
    • 3,342 Posts
    • 19,263 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 12th Jul 18, 7:32 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 7:32 PM
    Not a lot you can do if they refuse to extend.

Can you push for exchange/completion on the same day? What was your plan with it coming so close to the expiry date?

• Thistle86
    • By Thistle86 13th Jul 18, 8:36 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Thistle86
    • 13th Jul 18, 8:36 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 8:36 AM
    Did you go direct or via a broker?

If via a broker get them to resubmit the application if direct speak to a mortgage advisor and get them to do the same.

Then ask them to transfer everything over from the old to new applications, fees, documents and valuation. You might need to provide a few more documents if the others are out of date but providing the valuation is still in date this might be a better option. Your offer expiry date will then be the same as anyone else applying that day. You will probably have to go for a different product though as yours may no longer be available.

Hope this helps

(I am a mortgage underwriter with another lender so see this sort of thing a lot)
    • strawberries1
    • By strawberries1 13th Jul 18, 10:28 AM
    • 696 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    strawberries1
    • 13th Jul 18, 10:28 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 10:28 AM

If via a broker get them to resubmit the application if direct speak to a mortgage advisor and get them to do the same.

Then ask them to transfer everything over from the old to new applications, fees, documents and valuation. You might need to provide a few more documents if the others are out of date but providing the valuation is still in date this might be a better option. Your offer expiry date will then be the same as anyone else applying that day. You will probably have to go for a different product though as yours may no longer be available.

Hope this helps

(I am a mortgage underwriter with another lender so see this sort of thing a lot)
    Originally posted by Thistle86
    Thanks I'll give this a try. I've rang HSBC twice and on both occasions they said they won't extend it. I paid almost 1,000 in fees for this mortgage.
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 13th Jul 18, 10:43 AM
    • 279 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    sal_III
    • 13th Jul 18, 10:43 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 10:43 AM
    Thanks I'll give this a try. I've rang HSBC twice and on both occasions they said they won't extend it. I paid almost 1,000 in fees for this mortgage.
    Originally posted by strawberries1
    to whom did you pay the fees to? In most cases they are not payable if you don't actually use it i.e. on completion, when the funds are released.
    • strawberries1
    • By strawberries1 13th Jul 18, 12:02 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    strawberries1
    • 13th Jul 18, 12:02 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 12:02 PM
    to whom did you pay the fees to? In most cases they are not payable if you don't actually use it i.e. on completion, when the funds are released.
    Originally posted by sal_III
    HSBC doesn't use 3rd parties. So it was direct. I paid it to HSBC.
    • strawberries1
    • By strawberries1 17th Jul 18, 2:59 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    strawberries1
    • 17th Jul 18, 2:59 PM
    • 17th Jul 18, 2:59 PM

Hope this helps

Originally posted by Thistle86
    Thanks. HSBC is happy to transfer the fee but rates are higher and it'll take a while.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

130Posts Today

1,605Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin