PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Leasehold purchase restrictions

(I've had an awful lot of help from previous posts, so trying my luck again with more questions - TIA!)

I’ve (possibly rather naively, I’m a first time buyer) got to the ‘the solicitor has sent pre-sale enquiries to the seller’ stage of buying what I was told by the EA is a ‘share of freehold’ top floor flat: I’ve been sent hundreds of pages of info to read through, some of which is rather alarming:
1) -Apparently share of freehold doesn’t exist?! (the lease is 987 years, or something like)
2) - I don’t own the loft (despite that being on the EAs webpage AND I was told by them that I did)
3) - There are SO. MANY. RESTRICTIONS. Things like decorating, pets, use of plant pots (!), allowing access – I suppose what I want to know is, is that normal? It kind of feels like a rental agreement, more than a house purchase!

I feel a bit put off by all this, and I don’t want to get in a situation where by I can’t even switch my TV on after 10pm… Please help! Are these things normal? Am I overreacting? I don’t know anyone who owns a flat, so have no experience in this kind of thing.

Comments

• NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 July 2018 at 6:17PM
    You are talking about restrictive covenants. There are common in flats and new builds

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/property-law/restrictive-covenants/

You are a bit at the mercy of neighbours - some covenants get ignored - some drift away - some get resurrected if one of your neighbours takes offence (rightly or wrongly) and complains. Many are there to make the property easier to sell for the developer

I lived in a flat like that and it was just about being aware of them. You didn't have to turn off the tv at 10.00 but, similarly, you didn't have it blaring out etc. My block was fine and nobody caused any rucks - but they are there so you do have to consider they may become an issue. You'll have to decide if that is a risk you are prepared to take

Your solicitor should be able to advise on share of freehold. If it's been advertised it's likely correct.

Share of freehold means that you have a share of the communal areas - ground the block is built on etc. The flat, itself, will still be leasehold. The loft may well be part of the common areas. The EA can only go on what the vendor tells them
  • deFoix
    deFoix Posts: 213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Sounds like you're overreacting to me. Regardless of the share of freehold you will be buying the Leasehold - what makes you think SoF is not included?

Which restrictions do you object to?
  • NeilCr wrote: »
    You are talking about restrictive covenants. There are common in flats and new builds

You are a bit at the mercy of neighbours...

Thank you so much for your helpful reply and link. I guess that’s kind of what I wanted to know – whether these things ARE normal in a flat or not.

Do you have any idea about the loft, or who might own it in a case like this? The flat I’m trying to buy is the second floor of a semi-detached house, so ‘my’ flat has sole access to the loft – and it was one of the features that most attracted me to the property (I have a lot of stuff!), so I’m worried now that whoever actually owns it might suddenly command me to stop using it!
  • Boler1985 wrote: »
    Sounds like you're overreacting to me. Regardless of the share of freehold you will be buying the Leasehold - what makes you think SoF is not included?

Which restrictions do you object to?

I suppose it’s not the restrictions so much, more things like: ‘maintaining, repairing and decorating in accordance with the lease’, ‘the landlord has the right to inspect….’, ‘the landlord may terminate the lease….’, ‘decorate every 7th year…’ – are things like this normal? I’ve never owned any property in my life, and it isn’t as straight forward as I thought!
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    I suppose it’s not the restrictions so much, more things like: ‘maintaining, repairing and decorating in accordance with the lease’, ‘the landlord has the right to inspect….’, ‘the landlord may terminate the lease….’, ‘decorate every 7th year…’ – are things like this normal? I’ve never owned any property in my life, and it isn’t as straight forward as I thought!
    Yes, it's all pretty normal. Your solicitor should be advising you on what is or isn't normal - unless they've flagged up something as bizarre then you can assume it's all pretty standard stuff.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Do you have any idea about the loft, or who might own it in a case like this? The flat I’m trying to buy is the second floor of a semi-detached house, so ‘my’ flat has sole access to the loft – and it was one of the features that most attracted me to the property (I have a lot of stuff!), so I’m worried now that whoever actually owns it might suddenly command me to stop using it!

Typically, it would be the freeholder that 'owned' the loft...

...unless they have leased it to somebody else.

You could make enquiries about buying a lease on the loft from the freeholder, as well as buying the lease of the flat. But it may be expensive, especially if the freeholder suspects that you want to convert it into living space.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper

It's fairly normal, and many people would see this as a benefit - because all the leases in the building will typically be the same.

So, because of the covenants in everyone's leases, the whole building should be well kept, and neighbours should be considerate etc.
  • rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Personally I would not buy with all these restrictive covenants, but I guess to each his own.

Why the hell should I be forced to decorate (INSIDE my flat?? Where nobody can see?) every 7th year.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    edited 13 July 2018 at 11:46AM
    rtho782 wrote: »
    Personally I would not buy with all these restrictive covenants, but I guess to each his own.

Why the hell should I be forced to decorate (INSIDE my flat?? Where nobody can see?) every 7th year.

As you say personal choice. It suits me but my partner would agree with you.

In terms of the decoration of the inside of the house that's a weird one. We have it, too, but, practically it's impossible to police even if anyone wanted to. Many covenants drift away over the years and a consensus develops amongst the residents.

The covenants that get quoted, used are in 99% of the cases ones which are apparent and/or directly effect someone. Sky dishes/commercial vehicles/ running a business from home etc
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    1) Share of freehold means that your flat is still leasehold, but instead of 3rd party owning the freehold, you and the other leaseholders each own share of the freehold and can make joint decisions about your relationship.

2) You don't even own your flat, effectively you "rent" it from the freeholder for the Lease duration - i.e. 987 years. You have to enquire your solicitor regarding the legal status of the loft.

3) Most of these are bog standard and if you are looking to buy a flat they will be ever present. The good news is that they are the same for every other flat in the building and make dealing with "nightmare neighbours" a bit easier. Also the nonsense ones are more or less ignored, the only one that can hold you up to them is the freeholder, which i part own, so unless the majority of the leaseholders decide to uphold one of them it's like they don't exist.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure