Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jonathon
    • By jonathon 11th Jul 18, 6:19 PM
    • 717Posts
    • 225Thanks
    jonathon
    0 WOW
    letter from doctor
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:19 PM
    0 WOW
    letter from doctor 11th Jul 18 at 6:19 PM
    Hi My wife is on amlodipine for high blood pressure and we are going to Singapore and Hong Kong this year will she need a letter from her doctor.

Thank you
Page 1
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 11th Jul 18, 6:54 PM
    • 15,150 Posts
    • 20,759 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:54 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:54 PM
    Hi My wife is on amlodipine for high blood pressure and we are going to Singapore and Hong Kong this year will she need a letter from her doctor.

Thank you
    Originally posted by jonathon
    Can't help with Hong Kong but Singapore have a list of medicines that need a special licence to take into the country. No need if just transiting.

See here...

http://www.hsa.gov.sg/content/hsa/en/Health_Products_Regulation/Consumer_Information/Personal_Import_Regulations/bringing_personal_medication_into_Singapore.html

I have gone through the process and my advice is to give yourself plenty of time to get the licence. It may take several days from when you send all the paperwork off.
    Last edited by Gloomendoom; 11-07-2018 at 7:42 PM.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 11th Jul 18, 7:00 PM
    • 19,912 Posts
    • 46,069 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:00 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:00 PM
    Is her medication banned in HK or Singapore?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • elsien
    • By elsien 11th Jul 18, 7:01 PM
    • 17,595 Posts
    • 44,489 Thanks
    elsien
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:01 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:01 PM
    http://www.hsa.gov.sg/pub/faq/faq/faqcategory/bringing-personal-medication-into-singapore.aspx

Always wise to take a prescription slip though in case she needs any replacement for any reason.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 11th Jul 18, 7:02 PM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 1,258 Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:02 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:02 PM
    the main problem is controlled drugs + codeine.

For other drugs some people take the repeat prescription slip with them. GP letter likely to cost you
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 11th Jul 18, 7:39 PM
    • 15,150 Posts
    • 20,759 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:39 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:39 PM
    Don't mess around with the Singaporeans.

Read the list. If amlodipine is on the restricted list, you need a licence. No ifs, no buts. To get a licence you need a doctor's letter.

My GP has never charged me.

It isn't hard!
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • jonathon
    • By jonathon 11th Jul 18, 7:59 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    jonathon
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:59 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:59 PM
    Can't help with Hong Kong but Singapore have a list of medicines that need a special licence to take into the country. No need if just transiting.

See here...

http://www.hsa.gov.sg/content/hsa/en/Health_Products_Regulation/Consumer_Information/Personal_Import_Regulations/bringing_personal_medication_into_Singapore.html

I have gone through the process and my advice is to give yourself plenty of time to get the licence. It may take several days from when you send all the paperwork off.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom

thanks for the link I think she will be ok in Singapore

Medicines Not Requiring Licence

You are allowed to bring in or import common medicines such as those for diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and contraception for personal medical use if the quantity is less than 3 months' supply.
    • jonathon
    • By jonathon 11th Jul 18, 8:23 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    jonathon
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:23 PM
    Don't mess around with the Singaporeans.

Read the list. If amlodipine is on the restricted list, you need a licence. No ifs, no buts. To get a licence you need a doctor's letter.

My GP has never charged me.

It isn't hard!

our doctor charges 30 for a letter
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 11th Jul 18, 8:23 PM
    • 15,150 Posts
    • 20,759 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    thanks for the link I think she will be ok in Singapore

Medicines Not Requiring Licence

You are allowed to bring in or import common medicines such as those for diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and contraception for personal medical use if the quantity is less than 3 months' supply.
    I think so too. I've since had a scan down the list and couldn't see amlodipine on it.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 11th Jul 18, 8:26 PM
    • 15,150 Posts
    • 20,759 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Ouch! Still worth it though when you consider the consequences of being caught importing restricted medicines.
    • maman
    • By maman 11th Jul 18, 9:25 PM
    • 18,743 Posts
    • 111,968 Thanks
    maman
    Ouch! Still worth it though when you consider the consequences of being caught importing restricted medicines.
    What's 30 compared with the cost of a holiday taking in Singapore? Peanuts!

Better to be safe than sorry IMO
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 11th Jul 18, 10:21 PM
    • 15,150 Posts
    • 20,759 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    What's 30 compared with the cost of a holiday taking in Singapore? Peanuts!

Better to be safe than sorry IMO
    Originally posted by maman
    Exactly, if my doctor didn't do it for free, I'd pay the money.

Probably grumble about it though. 30 would almost buy a pint in Singapore.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 12th Jul 18, 1:42 AM
    • 3,932 Posts
    • 2,081 Thanks
    eDicky
    Don't waste your money, there will be no check on what is being brought in by a visitor for personal medical use in Singapore or Hong Kong.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 12th Jul 18, 7:31 AM
    • 32,966 Posts
    • 20,759 Thanks
    DCFC79
    If thats whats required to make sure your not caught importing a banned drug then pay it.
    • maman
    • By maman 12th Jul 18, 11:25 AM
    • 18,743 Posts
    • 111,968 Thanks
    maman
    Don't waste your money, there will be no check on what is being brought in by a visitor for personal medical use in Singapore or Hong Kong.
    Originally posted by eDicky

Maybe the woman who took Tramadol into Egypt thought that too.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 12th Jul 18, 12:17 PM
    • 3,932 Posts
    • 2,081 Thanks
    eDicky
    Maybe the woman who took Tramadol into Egypt thought that too.
    Originally posted by maman
    Possibly, but to make such a comparison is scaremongering.

Here we are talking about Singapore and Hong Kong, not Egypt or various other Middle Eastern countries, and we are not talking about a substance like Tramadol that is controlled to prevent abuse.

Of course, if the journey involves a stopover in any Middle Eastern country (not just a flight connection), then appropriate precaution should be taken.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 12th Jul 18, 1:15 PM
    • 15,150 Posts
    • 20,759 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Possibly, but to make such a comparison is scaremongering.

Here we are talking about Singapore and Hong Kong, not Egypt or various other Middle Eastern countries, and we are not talking about a substance like Tramadol that is controlled to prevent abuse.

Of course, if the journey involves a stopover in any Middle Eastern country (not just a flight connection), then appropriate precaution should be taken.
    Originally posted by eDicky
    I thought we had established that in this case the medication does not need to be notified

Advising somebody that it is OK to take medicine into Singapore without first checking with the HSA that it isn't illegal or needs a licence is just plain irresponsible.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 12th Jul 18, 10:46 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    Assumptions are the mother of all **** ups.

If in doubt go through the notification procedures.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,542Posts Today

9,511Users online

Martin's Twitter