letter from doctor

Options
Hi My wife is on amlodipine for high blood pressure and we are going to Singapore and Hong Kong this year will she need a letter from her doctor.

Thank you

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 July 2018 at 7:42PM
    Options
    jonathon wrote: »
    Hi My wife is on amlodipine for high blood pressure and we are going to Singapore and Hong Kong this year will she need a letter from her doctor.

Thank you

Can't help with Hong Kong but Singapore have a list of medicines that need a special licence to take into the country. No need if just transiting.

See here...

http://www.hsa.gov.sg/content/hsa/en/Health_Products_Regulation/Consumer_Information/Personal_Import_Regulations/bringing_personal_medication_into_Singapore.html

I have gone through the process and my advice is to give yourself plenty of time to get the licence. It may take several days from when you send all the paperwork off.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is her medication banned in HK or Singapore?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,753 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    http://www.hsa.gov.sg/pub/faq/faq/faqcategory/bringing-personal-medication-into-singapore.aspx

Always wise to take a prescription slip though in case she needs any replacement for any reason.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    the main problem is controlled drugs + codeine.

For other drugs some people take the repeat prescription slip with them. GP letter likely to cost you £££££
  • Gloomendoom
    Options
    Don't mess around with the Singaporeans.

Read the list. If amlodipine is on the restricted list, you need a licence. No ifs, no buts. To get a licence you need a doctor's letter.

My GP has never charged me.

It isn't hard!
  • jonathon
    jonathon Posts: 749 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can't help with Hong Kong but Singapore have a list of medicines that need a special licence to take into the country. No need if just transiting.

See here...

http://www.hsa.gov.sg/content/hsa/en/Health_Products_Regulation/Consumer_Information/Personal_Import_Regulations/bringing_personal_medication_into_Singapore.html

I have gone through the process and my advice is to give yourself plenty of time to get the licence. It may take several days from when you send all the paperwork off.

thanks for the link I think she will be ok in Singapore

Medicines Not Requiring Licence

You are allowed to bring in or import common medicines such as those for diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and contraception for personal medical use if the quantity is less than 3 months' supply.
  • jonathon
    jonathon Posts: 749 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't mess around with the Singaporeans.

Read the list. If amlodipine is on the restricted list, you need a licence. No ifs, no buts. To get a licence you need a doctor's letter.

My GP has never charged me.

It isn't hard!

our doctor charges £30 for a letter
  • Gloomendoom
    Options
    thanks for the link I think she will be ok in Singapore

Medicines Not Requiring Licence

You are allowed to bring in or import common medicines such as those for diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and contraception for personal medical use if the quantity is less than 3 months' supply.

I think so too. I've since had a scan down the list and couldn't see amlodipine on it.
  • Gloomendoom
    Options
    our doctor charges £30 for a letter

Ouch! Still worth it though when you consider the consequences of being caught importing restricted medicines.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ouch! Still worth it though when you consider the consequences of being caught importing restricted medicines.

What's £30 compared with the cost of a holiday taking in Singapore? Peanuts!

Better to be safe than sorry IMO
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport