PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Solicitor ready to report on purchase

How long should you expect a solicitor to take to report back on a freehold purchase?

The vendor's solicitors cleared all outstanding queries by noon on Monday.

I don't believe there is anything else outstanding from my conversation with my solicitor on Friday apart from her to review the file. She has said its quite a straightforward transaction.

The last of the searches was returned on 20 June.

Comments

• A couple of steps need to happen for a freehold purchase:

1) Local Searches returned
    2) Answers to enquiries received (and key point - to lawyers satisfaction)
    3) Mortgage offer received (if required)
    4) Survey complete (if you are having more than a valuation).
    5) Report prepared for buyer

All of 4 need to happen in order for 5, the report to be issued to you.
    There is some work the solicitor needs to do once all of these are in to prepare the report but if all of these were received in June when you said, this is taking far too long.

If i were you i would call or visit your solicitor and ask them what is outstanding for them (feel free to add in 'do you need anything from me').
    If they arent waiting on anything from 3rd parties ask them to provide you with a date this will be completed by - hold them to it, give them a polite nudge a day or two before and then make sure they know you arent happy if they miss the deadline!
    If they are waiting on other parties ask them to chase up and update you in x days time, repeat until works. If its other solicitors, agents, etc by all means call them yourself to verify and chase.

Its all stuff you shouldn't have to do... but often have to in order to make things happen :)
  • Thank you.

Its step 5 we are waiting on. I understand that on Friday a few queries were raised and they were dealt with on Monday morning. The previous activity were the return of the searches on 20th June.

I assumed in that time the file would be reviewed in lieu of the balance of enquiries.

Do you think 2 days since Monday is adequate time to wait?
  • Tiglet2
    Tiglet2 Posts: 2,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    2 days since Monday is not adequate time to wait.
    I work in a conveyancing solicitors and often prepare the reports that we send to clients. First of all, the vendors solicitor may have replied to enquiries on Monday, but it doesn't mean that the replies are satisfactory. Even if they are satisfactory, the solicitor has to collate all the various documents and either scan them or photocopy them, depending on which method they use. Sometimes the reports are lengthy with lots of additional documents for you to peruse. If the solicitor and his assistant are very busy, then the report will be done when they can, but they won't promise to do it by the end of the day, in case other matters take priority at the last minute.
  • As Tiglet2 says. If enquiries only answered Mon AM i would give it a few days. But no harm in asking them for a deadline - just then make sure they stick to it.

From experience ive never had a sale i havent had to chase to completion!
  • chrissiehamilton
    chrissiehamilton Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 11 July 2018 at 2:13PM
    Thanks Tiglet2 for the clarification.

They tend to deliver everything via email and scan so I was thinking that could be the delay, though its been 21 days since the local authority search was returned. TA6, TA10, Thames Water, Drainage and Enviromental was all scanned in June.

Is there anything I can do to help? Would me offering to attend the office to read the documents speed it up if thats the case?

Today, I have asked for advice on the monies required for exchange as I need to arrange transfer. Is there a name for this document?

Our frustration is compounded by the inability to speak with someone, get messages returned or emails replied to. Just talking on here seems to help :)
  • Tiglet2
    Tiglet2 Posts: 2,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    I think the last thing your solicitor would want is you turning up at their office to read the documents. They want you to read/sign documents in your time, not theirs. I assume you would want someone to go through the documents with you when you visit and most fixed fee conveyancing firms do not include face to face meetings in their charges. This would not speed things up at all, rather it would stop your solicitor from doing his work.

The solicitor should advise you of the account number and sort code that they want you to transfer the deposit to, with the report. They should provide you with a Projection showing the flow of monies in and out and showing the balance outstanding, and the amount they require for exchange. They will need the deposit monies before exchange takes place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure