Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • airblaster22
    • By airblaster22 10th Jul 18, 10:36 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    airblaster22
    Not enjoying job, Mortage opportunity, current debt
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:36 AM
    Not enjoying job, Mortage opportunity, current debt 10th Jul 18 at 10:36 AM
    Hi All,
    I'm in a bit of a bind, I own a company which pays our rent generously, but at the same time I am no longer enjoying my work and would like to leave the company as a director.

We also have the great opportunity to gain a 100k-140k+ deposit on a house thanks to a close family member selling up and wanting to live with us, which is very promising.

We are slightly overdrawn over the past few months thanks to the HMRC, some moving costs and slightly lower wages. I noticed there was a mortage rework in 2014 which is slightly concerning. Our credit rating is fantastic though, not sure if that counts. Thankfully our income is regular for 4 years, albeit slightly reduced starting 2018.

So the bind i'm in is - stick with my work and get a mortgage and then consider my options. Or be forever miserable renting as we are, and start building 3 years accounts with a new company of mine.

With the new morty regulations, I'm worried about the family selling, and the left overs and our joint income will not be able to cover the cost of the house.

Self employed / directors / entrepeneurs - what would you do?

At least that lump sum could afford 10 years of rent! lol - urgh!
    Last edited by airblaster22; 10-07-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Page 1
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 10th Jul 18, 10:45 AM
    • 6,684 Posts
    • 14,175 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:45 AM
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:45 AM
    If you left the company what would you do instead? You wont get a mortgage without a regular income. If you intend getting a mortgage and then leaving that sounds a bit dicey especially as it will be your relatives capital you will be risking as you aren't putting anything into the property. You wont get help with mortgage payments now if you are unemployed. It is treated as a loan rather than a benefit.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 10th Jul 18, 11:00 AM
    • 288 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    sal_III
    • 10th Jul 18, 11:00 AM
    • 10th Jul 18, 11:00 AM
    Depending on terms and deposit but mortgage payments are roughly equal to the rent for the same property. If you had fallen on hard times and became overdrawn now, how do you expect to keep up the repayment with your new untested job/company?

What do you mean overdrawn thanks to the HMRC? Did you get a fine, or was it the case where you didn't put aside the money for the tax throughout the year?

The only thing worse than renting is overstretching to get a mortgage and end up losing your home.

What does the 2014 change of rules has to do with anything? They are already in place, it's not like you have a time window to sneak past them if you act now.

So I would wait for steady income before making massive financial commitment like mortgage.
    • A Nice Englishman
    • By A Nice Englishman 10th Jul 18, 11:03 AM
    • 2,105 Posts
    • 1,170 Thanks
    A Nice Englishman
    • 10th Jul 18, 11:03 AM
    • 10th Jul 18, 11:03 AM
    Is paying to share a house with somebody who owns a substantial part of it better than paying a landlord for exclusive use of a property? What are the long term plans? Would you buy out the relative if and when you can afford to? Would you inherit their share eventually?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,053Posts Today

8,055Users online

Martin's Twitter