Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kinzey
    • By Kinzey 8th Jul 18, 11:41 PM
    • 49Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Kinzey
    Bra fittings, so confusing!
    • 8th Jul 18, 11:41 PM
    Bra fittings, so confusing! 8th Jul 18 at 11:41 PM
    Not sure if i'm in the right part of the forum here .

Well i've been trying to find my size as im just about able to keep
    them in at the mo lol. I've tried different websites with the measuring
    calculator most of them give different results.
    So been thinking of going to bon marche, only just found out they do bra fittings! so the
    only place who does them in my town, and with my mental health i dont fancy going to the city.. Bon marche do the fittings the old fashioned way by adding 4 of what i can see on their chart on their website.
    so now i dunno what to do? if to stay by the old fashioned way or the new way
    As i measured my underbust as 30 so it brings me to 34 in the
    old fashioned way and i already wear 34 band. but the middle is not flat
    against my chest and ive always got a bad back which i suspect it maybe
    my bras!
    Does the new fitting method apply to all new bras from all
    shops? or just in the dearer posh shops likes m & s ? thank you
Page 1
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 9th Jul 18, 9:19 AM
    • 24,646 Posts
    • 64,417 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:19 AM
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:19 AM
    You can buy reasonably priced bras in Marks. I bought a pack of two tee-shirt bras for 15 last week.

They come on white and beige or black and white.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • lindens
    • By lindens 9th Jul 18, 9:21 AM
    • 2,168 Posts
    • 7,044 Thanks
    lindens
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:21 AM
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:21 AM
    Bravissimo and M&S are considered the best places to get measured but that may not be convenient for you. It's just as much about finding which style suits you as well as the right size. Maybe it was gaping as that style is not suitable for your body?
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 9th Jul 18, 9:30 AM
    • 2,254 Posts
    • 12,216 Thanks
    kathrynha
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:30 AM
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:30 AM
    Depends on how large you are to where is best to get measured. If you are a D+ cup then avoid M&S and go to Bravissimo.
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 53 lb
    Last updated: 27th February 2018
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 9th Jul 18, 1:12 PM
    • 5,214 Posts
    • 3,892 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 9th Jul 18, 1:12 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 1:12 PM
    Have you checked you are wearing the correct cup size?

The style of bra you are wearing may not suit you.

Measurement is the starting point but styles/makes vary so you need to try different bras around the measurement.

Bravissimo have a guide on their website showing how to assess how your bra fits.
    • Kinzey
    • By Kinzey 9th Jul 18, 3:34 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Kinzey
    • 9th Jul 18, 3:34 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 3:34 PM
    thanks guys ill take another look
    • Sharon87
    • By Sharon87 10th Jul 18, 1:35 AM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 3,026 Thanks
    Sharon87
    • 10th Jul 18, 1:35 AM
    • 10th Jul 18, 1:35 AM
    Never add the 4! If you measure 34 in your under bust then you're a 34. If you're 33 or 35, try a size either side.

Here's a good guide for finding your size, sounds like you need to go up a cup size, not a back size. Always measure it on the loosest fitting, as bras stretch when washed. Also always do it up at the back, not at the front and swivel. Takes some practise!

https://www.bravissimo.com/bra-fitting-guide/

If you can get to a bravissimo I would recommend it (if you're a D or bigger, if your old bras are a C, then I would recommend going there as it sounds like you're bigger!)
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Jul 18, 7:27 AM
    • 20,670 Posts
    • 55,575 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 10th Jul 18, 7:27 AM
    • 10th Jul 18, 7:27 AM
    Never add the 4! If you measure 34 in your under bust then you're a 34. If you're 33 or 35, try a size either side.

Here's a good guide for finding your size, sounds like you need to go up a cup size, not a back size. Always measure it on the loosest fitting, as bras stretch when washed. Also always do it up at the back, not at the front and swivel. Takes some practise!

https://www.bravissimo.com/bra-fitting-guide/

If you can get to a bravissimo I would recommend it (if you're a D or bigger, if your old bras are a C, then I would recommend going there as it sounds like you're bigger!)
    Originally posted by Sharon87
    The OP says she measures 30 under-bust.

As i measured my underbust as 30 so it brings me to 34 in the
    old fashioned way
    and i already wear 34 band. but the middle is not flat
    against my chest and ive always got a bad back which i suspect it maybe
    my bras!
    Does the new fitting method apply to all new bras from all
    shops? or just in the dearer posh shops likes m & s ? thank you
    Originally posted by Kinzey
    I always thought the 'old-fashioned way' was your under-bust size as your size (e.g. 30/32/34/36 etc) and the difference between that measurement and your 'over the bust' size as the cup size (A/B/C/D/DD etc).
    So shouldn't the OP be wearing a 30 bra rather than a 34?

It does sound like she's possibly wearing the wrong cup size too.

I have a biggish bust (F cup) and find the same size bra from different brands don't always fit me well.
    Debenhams own brand are too low at the sides for me so although the cup size and back size are a good fit, I prefer a bra that fits higher under my armpits.
    Last edited by Pollycat; 10-07-2018 at 8:03 AM.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 10th Jul 18, 8:20 AM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 2,578 Thanks
    seashore22
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:20 AM
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:20 AM
    I really like this blog and the method works. I was incredibly sceptical, but tried it out, went bra shopping and it was quite a revelation. I wasn't at all the size I thought I was and bras now fit perfectly.

Using the older method I measured myself as something freakish like a 44A. I'm actually a 38DD.

http://thebetterbracampaign.blogspot.com/p/fitting-advice.html

Sorry to sound like an infomercial, but I couldn't think of a better way to word it.

I thought M and S was useless when I used them, but would have tried Bravissimo as I've heard good things about them, however at the time the nearest branch was a very long drive away.
    Last edited by seashore22; 10-07-2018 at 8:41 AM.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 10th Jul 18, 8:38 AM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 2,578 Thanks
    seashore22
    I should add that even though I now had the right size I then had to try a few brands and styles on to find the most comfortable one for me. I ended up with Triumph bras and I've just bought a couple more as they seem to be the best fit all round. That's for me though and another brand or style may be better for you.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Jul 18, 8:46 AM
    • 64,197 Posts
    • 376,746 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Even in the same brand you can't get a fit, so it's a combination of the right size in a particular brand.

I recently bought a couple of 36C and, while I was mostly happy, I did feel that often my cup runneth over a little, so I thought "I know, I'll dash in and grab exactly the same one in a D".... did that, tried it on at home and it fits where the last one didn't, but now I feel my cup isn't quite filling... so, another one where "it'll do".
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 10th Jul 18, 9:22 AM
    • 24,646 Posts
    • 64,417 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I found that I needed a bigger cup in different styles. The fitter in Marks, Ellesmere Port was very helpful and spent a long time with me, bringing me lots of different bras.

I had lost two stone and had no idea what size to buy.

• clairec79
    • By clairec79 11th Jul 18, 9:32 AM
    • 2,398 Posts
    • 6,318 Thanks
    clairec79
    Personally I liked this site for measuring advice https://booborbust.com/

You will think the size they come up with is way off but try it, also then use it as a guide, and if it doesn't feel quite right go up or down on either band or cup

I only got fitted in a bra shop once - walked in wearing a 32F they told me I should be a 38B - not a chance - if someone is wearing a size 8 their back size will never be a 38 - tried on what she said and the band could stretch over my nipples
    • harrys nan
    • By harrys nan 11th Jul 18, 7:40 PM
    • 1,493 Posts
    • 2,989 Thanks
    harrys nan
    https://booborbust.com/

This measuring way is first class. Do not bother going to M&S, their method is so outdated now, no need at all to add plus 4 to your measurements
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys
    • oscarj
    • By oscarj 11th Jul 18, 7:52 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    oscarj
    try to ask your boyfriend/husbend to choose a bra for you) maybe you'll have a good luck and the bra will fit you, I know several couples do like that.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Jul 18, 7:56 PM
    • 20,670 Posts
    • 55,575 Thanks
    Pollycat
    try to ask your boyfriend/husbend to choose a bra for you) maybe you'll have a good luck and the bra will fit you, I know several couples do like that.
    Originally posted by oscarj
    You must be joking!
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 11th Jul 18, 8:22 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 2,578 Thanks
    seashore22
    You must be joking!
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Someone trying to build up their post count?

Might as well do it on a bra thread I guess.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 12th Jul 18, 8:29 AM
    • 24,646 Posts
    • 64,417 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Someone trying to build up their post count?

Might as well do it on a bra thread I guess.
    Originally posted by seashore22

Pardon?

Bit of a pointless snide comment, unless you are building up post count.

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Jul 18, 9:01 AM
    • 20,670 Posts
    • 55,575 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Pardon?

Bit of a pointless snide comment, unless you are building up post count.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    But would you let your boyfriend/partner/husband go off and buy a bra for you?

I think most women would need a bucket-load of luck to get one chosen by their OH that fitted.
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 12th Jul 18, 1:34 PM
    • 1,981 Posts
    • 2,375 Thanks
    Anoneemoose
    M&S are rubbish at fitting. I second Bravissimo, or a good local independent if there is one. If you can get there, of course (but maybe get someone to go with you).

They have their own range of bras as well as the more expensive makes. I spend 34 each bra, but with good looking after, and no change in size, they have lasted amazingly. Bravissimo will also teach you what to look out for if choosing bras from other stores.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

16Posts Today

3,777Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin