Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • isadora127
    • By isadora127 8th Jul 18, 10:06 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 6Thanks
    isadora127
    Choosing between basic Kindle and Paperwhite
    • 8th Jul 18, 10:06 PM
    Choosing between basic Kindle and Paperwhite 8th Jul 18 at 10:06 PM
    My old Kindle has finally died after many years and I'm looking to replace it but I can't decide between the basic model (currently 59.99) or the Paperwhite (109.99) on Amazon.

I can see there are some differences such as the Paperwhite has a light for reading in the dark and there is also the option of 3G which is more expensive and I don't think I would need that personally.

My friend has recently bought a Paperwhite and she tells me that she is having trouble putting her books into Collections although she can access all the books (some are kept on the Cloud I believe?).

I used my old Kindle mainly on holiday so the ability to read it in bright sunlight is probably the most important feature for me. I also loved the push-button page turner which I know is not a feature of either of these models.

I can see there is a difference noted on the screen resolution but I'm just wondering if anyone has actually seen or used both types and can give me a good reason to justify the extra 50?
Page 1
    • elsien
    • By elsien 8th Jul 18, 10:13 PM
    • 16,738 Posts
    • 42,240 Thanks
    elsien
    • 8th Jul 18, 10:13 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 10:13 PM
    Have you looked at the comparison sites?

https://www.choose.co.uk/guide/kindle-paperwhite-vs-basic-which-is-best.html
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Shimrod
    • By Shimrod 8th Jul 18, 10:31 PM
    • 961 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    Shimrod
    • 8th Jul 18, 10:31 PM
    • 8th Jul 18, 10:31 PM
    I can see there are some differences such as the Paperwhite has a light for reading in the dark and there is also the option of 3G which is more expensive and I don't think I would need that personally.

My friend has recently bought a Paperwhite and she tells me that she is having trouble putting her books into Collections although she can access all the books (some are kept on the Cloud I believe?).
    Originally posted by isadora127

Can't really advise on the difference between the two, I've only ever owned the Paperwhite. You can still download all books to the Kindle and put them in collections organising books on the Kindle is one of the things Amazon could improve greatly.

As long as you have access to wi-fi you don't need the 3G version.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 9th Jul 18, 9:05 AM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:05 AM
    • 9th Jul 18, 9:05 AM
    I've owned both for many years and would never go back to the standard Kindle. The backlight in the Paperwhite (actually a frontlight) isn't just for night reading as it's permanently on and makes a huge difference. Battery life is no different in reality BTW. It's faster navigating around as well and the touch screen works very well. You won't miss the buttons either, fingerprints aren't the issue you'd think.

Go in to Dixons or similar and have a look (preferably at both side by side) and you won't hesitate. I love mine so much that I gave my old Kindle to a charity shop rather than keep it as a backup because if my Paperwhite has an issue I'd rather buy a new one.

I've never seen the point of the 3G version, just download some books before you go or look for a free WiFi hotspot.

The collections work simply (can't think why your friend struggles) and isn't any different to your old Kindle. All Amazon purchased content is held in the cloud regardless of device and can be downloaded at will.
    • isadora127
    • By isadora127 9th Jul 18, 10:11 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    isadora127
    • 9th Jul 18, 10:11 AM
    • 9th Jul 18, 10:11 AM
    Thank you for your replies. It seems the Paperwhite is the clear winner.

Colin - I think she said she couldn't put all her books into Collections because some were held in the cloud. Is this because she hasn't downloaded them onto her Kindle yet do you think? Personally that is something that would irritate me because I like to be 'organised'.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 9th Jul 18, 11:23 AM
    • 8,705 Posts
    • 6,481 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:23 AM
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:23 AM
    If you've ever bought a kindle item it's held in a virtual library in the cloud (ie on kindle's servers) until you download it to your device. Personally, I've found limiting the number of items physically on your device keeps it fast and responsive and also aids searching. YMMV.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 9th Jul 18, 12:26 PM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 9th Jul 18, 12:26 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 12:26 PM
    Colin - I think she said she couldn't put all her books into Collections because some were held in the cloud. Is this because she hasn't downloaded them onto her Kindle yet do you think? Personally that is something that would irritate me because I like to be 'organised'.
    Originally posted by isadora127
    That's it exactly and as far as I can remember worked the same on the old Kindle (I had the keyboard Kindle).

You can change the display so that only the downloaded items (and collections) are visible.

[QUOTE=pmduk;74506393Personally, I've found limiting the number of items physically on your device keeps it fast and responsive and also aids searching. YMMV.[/QUOTE]

True for the older Kindles for sure but the Paperwhite is much quicker.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 10th Jul 18, 7:38 PM
    • 8,705 Posts
    • 6,481 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 10th Jul 18, 7:38 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 7:38 PM
    With Amazon Prime Day next Monday, it might be worth checking each day for discounts.
    • Skibunny40
    • By Skibunny40 10th Jul 18, 8:13 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    Skibunny40
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:13 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:13 PM
    Another vote for the Paperwhite here - especially for reading in sunshine.
    • Rev
    • By Rev 11th Jul 18, 2:09 AM
    • 2,999 Posts
    • 2,721 Thanks
    Rev
    I was kind of torn between the paperwhite and the kindle fire but given it!!!8217;s just for reading I!!!8217;m going to go with the paperwhite.

Just a tip, may or may not work for you. I!!!8217;ve just ordered a refurb paperwhite for 65. Put one in my basket and used the code KINDLE30 as it popped up on a banner when I was looking at the kindle, on the other bargain site some users were reporting KINDLE50 worked for them but didn!!!8217;t for me.

I know it!!!8217;s a refurb but amazon CS has always been great so I!!!8217;d rather save the 40.
    Sigless
    • Rev
    • By Rev 11th Jul 18, 2:13 AM
    • 2,999 Posts
    • 2,721 Thanks
    Rev
    Just to add (I can!!!8217;t edit on my phone for some reason)

It says on the site !!!8216;save an extra 35!!!8217; if you have prime.
    Sigless
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

164Posts Today

1,689Users online

Martin's Twitter