Can the Halifax Regular Saver not be closed online (not renewed) online?

Unlike Bank Of Scotland there is no "Close Account" option in online banking only a "Renew" which is pointless as the account renews automatically. Do I have to call? Once it renews do I have to wait until the end of the year to close? I vaguely remember such a restriction when registering years ago.

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    From their website

Fixed rate and monthly savers cannot be closed online

If you cannot close your account online, or prefer to you can close your account at one of our branches.
  • hoc
    hoc Posts: 557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The letter I received says "get in touch with details opposite to discuss options or close" and the details opposite list online banking and phone as well as branch. I suppose this is misleading then and it is still in branch as messages from years gone by suggest.

It seems I can still close if it does renew, withdrawals aren't allowed unless the account is closed. This seems to be a rule change, I recall you had to wait and couldn't close before so that's an improvement I suppose.
  • Does your online banking still show the regular saver along with the Everyday Saver where your money would have transferred to?

The regular saver should stay open and gives you the option to continue saving for another year if you wish
    Save £12k in 2020 = £4,074.62/£15,000 (27.2%) #89
    Save £12k in 2019 = £13,580.52/£15,000 (90.5%) #92
    Save £12k in 2018 = £17,189.12/£15,000 (115%) #36
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,095 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I had to go into branch to close mine. I didn't want to leave it open, as I am trying to even out all my regular savers so that they mature evenly throughout the year to help me manage my cash flow.
    This time last year, I had a broken ankle, so while I was off sick I just opened a load of regular savers in the space of two months, and now they are all maturing, I am purposefully trying to only open two a month so I have an even spread this time next year.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Does your online banking still show the regular saver along with the Everyday Saver where your money would have transferred to?

The regular saver should stay open and gives you the option to continue saving for another year if you wish

Ours just converted into an Everyday Saver with the same account number as the Regular Saver and that was that. Have to say, it would be preferable if online closure was available, but it isn't. Not entirely sure why that should be when it was opened online.
  • Ours just converted into an Everyday Saver with the same account number as the Regular Saver and that was that. Have to say, it would be preferable if online closure was available, but it isn't. Not entirely sure why that should be when it was opened online.

Sorry if i am getting confused, but your account changed to an Everyday Saver? If that is the case then are we talking about closing the Everyday Saver rather than the Regular Saver?
    Save £12k in 2020 = £4,074.62/£15,000 (27.2%) #89
    Save £12k in 2019 = £13,580.52/£15,000 (90.5%) #92
    Save £12k in 2018 = £17,189.12/£15,000 (115%) #36
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sorry if i am getting confused, but your account changed to an Everyday Saver? If that is the case then are we talking about closing the Everyday Saver rather than the Regular Saver?

Now I'm confused too. Whatever the case, our RS matured, converted itself into an Everyday Saver, the RS was 'no more' and the Everyday Saver couldn't be closed online when we'd emptied it out.
  • hoc
    hoc Posts: 557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The Everyday Saver/Instant Access/Easy Saver account can be closed online, the Regular Saver does not offer this option. The RS does not convert to an Instant Access, the amount is moved there and the RS automatically renews, there is no choice.

Auto renewal is a nice option, I usually welcome it, but not having the choice to cancel it is bothersome when combined with the lack of an easy way to close the account online. T&C mention account can be closed at any time but does not specify this can't be done online which is cheeky/outdated given it can be opened online just fine. Halifax don't offer secure messaging to make an account closure request either. So I have to go into a branch for this... what an archaic inefficient waste of everyone's time.

My 12th SO is due in a few days I will then cancel the SO, closing a zero balance account should hopefully be simple enough but Halifax branch employees always seem to have technical issues.
  • This might be something that's been phased out (not sure if things have changed in this past year), but at some point I did a premature renewal to an Everyday Saver and just closed that online.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure