Connect hose pipe to tap via aerator

Options
Hi.

I am looking for advice on attaching a quick-connect style hose pipe connector to our tap. Due to the lever-style taps we currently have I cannot find anything that will work well that will fit under the levers. The rubber ones just leak. So I am looking to find a male connector to screw in where the plastic aerator cartridge goes.

I’ve unscrewed the aerator cartridge and the outer diameter of the threads looks to be around 16mm (5/8”). I’ve found ones that are 24mm but have been unable to find a suitable size yet. I’ve looked up the British Standard Pipe Thread size and it looks closest to BSP size of 3/8 inch which has an outer diameter of 16.662mm.

Does anyone know how I can install a suitable connector or where to find the part(s) I need?

Thank you for you time.
Steve

Comments

• Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Options
    Hozelock Kitchen Tap Connector with a 24mm male head - Yellow https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0034G5NR2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_.IlqBb8SXBE2X
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Maybe you need something like this. You will need to determine the size of thread of your aerator but it is likely to be M18 or M20. Then you will be left with a BSP male for which you can find a suitable hose connector.
  • SteveUK74
    SteveUK74 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your reply Rusky but that appears to be the 24mm adapter I had referred to that is to big. I am looking for something closer to 16m.
  • SteveUK74
    Options
    Thank you Le_Kirk. That is a great idea. I assume the M# is the thread size? The BSP thread size chart says it is 19 threads per inch. I’ll do a little more Google searching and see if I can find out more.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

maybe something like this,

s-l200.jpg
  • SteveUK74
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. I am going to pop into my local plumbing centre tomorrow and will ask if they have the necessary part(s). If they have something like that it would be great but I imagine I will need a 3/8 to 3/4 converter first.

If I am successful I will post back with the solution and photos to help others.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    SteveUK74 wrote: »
    Thank you Le_Kirk. That is a great idea. I assume the M# is the thread size? The BSP thread size chart says it is 19 threads per inch. I’ll do a little more Google searching and see if I can find out more.
    The M is the metric size (the one of your aerator) and relates directly to the diameter in mm. The fact that BPS says 19 tpi is irrelevant as it is an adaptor to get you from metric to BSP where you will find loads of couplings in BSP size for connecting to hose pipes. (Hozelock is one such manufacturer).
  • SteveUK74
    edited 9 July 2018 at 4:49PM
    Options
    Is there any reason why it cannot be an M16 (15.96mm) as the outer diameter is no larger than 16mm as far as I can see? The thread pitch and depth looks to be 1mm and seems to be parallel. The flank angle looks about 60 degrees.

BTW the plumbing centre said I will not find a part that will fit and said the threads are too fine anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure