Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Flame
    • By Flame 7th Jul 18, 10:59 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Flame
    0 WOW
    Rentalcars.com
    • 7th Jul 18, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Rentalcars.com 7th Jul 18 at 10:59 AM
    I would appreciate some advice.

We recently booked car hire via rentalcars.com and were due to collect the car from Thrifty at JFK airport.

My husband made the booking and was our principle driver. However, when we arrived he was told that his old-style paper UK driving licence was not acceptable, although they were happy to rent to me and also my son who both have plastic licences. Neither of us was willing to drive in New York so that wasn't an option.

We phoned Rentalcars who spoke with the manager, but she was adamant. We asked Rentalcars if they could arrange car hire with another firm but they said it would take at least two hours. Since we had a 3-4 hour drive ahead of us, this also wasn't an option.

We were therefore obliged to rent from another firm, who did what they could on the rental price, but the insurance (usually included when you rent from the UK) was extra and made the rental 650 more.

We contacted Rentalcars to explain the situation, and they in turn (quite rightly) tried to get compensation from Thrifty. However, Thrifty have declined to compensate.

This has been escalated with Rentalcars and we are waiting to see if they will compensate us.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how we stand legally? Rentalcars cancelled the initial contract and refunded the money. Is that the end of their obligation?

Intermediaries like Rentalcars, Hotels.com, Booking.com are becoming more popular now. If there is no legal obligation to provide you with what you have paid for, that has serious implications.

I should point out that Thrifty refused to deal with us direct as we had no contract with them - and the rental firm next door had no problem with my husband's paper licence. Also, we had rented a car from Thrifty (Seattle) quite recently with no problem at all for the paper licence.

Judi
Page 2
    • damo101
    • By damo101 9th Jul 18, 6:22 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    damo101
    I have an ongoing issue with these guys since trying to hire a car in Belfast.

Most rental companies in NI require you to have your license for 3 years but mine is slightly less than 3 years old. I spoke with rentalcars via online chat and they said they have a way around it, or knew of a rental company that would accept my licenses.

When I went to pick up the car the company refused to give me a car. It meant a ton of hassle and extra expense. The rental company said it's between me and rentalcars to sort out which is fair enough.

This was almost 8 weeks ago and still waiting for rentalcars.com to come back to me. They did ask for copies of receipts for the extra expenses i incurred soon after I got in touch but not a peep out of them since then

I'd probably avoid these guys in future unless they come up with a full refund for the car hire and extra travel expenses
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,213Posts Today

8,363Users online

Martin's Twitter