Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Miowzolite
    • By Miowzolite 6th Jul 18, 5:59 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Miowzolite
    Think Workplace might be Dodgy and Hygiene Check due?
    • 6th Jul 18, 5:59 PM
    Think Workplace might be Dodgy and Hygiene Check due? 6th Jul 18 at 5:59 PM
    Despite having a 5* Hygiene rating, my work place (Coffee Shop) seems incredibly unlikely to pass one, as the shop owner does not care enough to make changes to fix the dodgy equipment (or lack of equipment.)

I'm looking for a new job to be out asap, but today the health society phoned and said we are due a health and hygiene check as our certificate has expired.

Firstly, we have a sink but no boiler, so no hot water. We have to get hot water from the coffee machine and pour it into the sink to wash up.

Secondly, the coffee machine is broken. Only one side works, and only one side has ever worked for the whole time we have been there. The hot water doesn't work normally, it sprays out all over the place and is insanely loud, half the shop is covered with steam to produce a tiny amount. Ages ago someone was called out to look at it and said it was beyond repair and full of limescale, because the shop owner hasn't been cleaning it or had it serviced for the 4 years before we arrived.

Thirdly, we have no toilets. Not for staff or customers. Our building is on the outside of a shopping center and counts as a kiosk so apparently this is legal, however the nearest toilets are right at the top of the shopping center, pretty far away, and I'm not sure we should be serving food if we cannot provide toilets but I might be wrong.

Lastly, our lease was up in April and the shop owner has not renewed it to our knowledge. He went away to Iran for 5 months and we got mountains of bills and brown envelopes, now he's back he's refusing to look at them repeatedly saying "I'll do it later."

I was just wondering what would happen if we got closed down, or if there is any way to anonymously voice our concerns? The shop makes very little money, sometimes less than a fiver a day, but he needs it open for his visa or something like that...

What would you do in this situation? Ignore it or report suspicion? I just want job security until I can find another place to go....
Page 1
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 6th Jul 18, 7:00 PM
    • 4,829 Posts
    • 8,133 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:00 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:00 PM
    Well, at 8.30 this morning you knew it was going to be closing, so it seems like you'll be finding out what happens if it closes! I really don't understand what these threads are about. Are you wanting to quit? Do you want the place closing? Or do you want the income? If you want to report it, then do so - but be prepared for your job to disappear in a second. If that's what you want, fine. But I'm really not sure what it is that you are trying to achieve here.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 6th Jul 18, 7:08 PM
    • 3,807 Posts
    • 9,618 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:08 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:08 PM
    Do you have a lazy manager btw?
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • Miowzolite
    • By Miowzolite 6th Jul 18, 7:42 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Miowzolite
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:42 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:42 PM
    Well, at 8.30 this morning you knew it was going to be closing, so it seems like you'll be finding out what happens if it closes! I really don't understand what these threads are about. Are you wanting to quit? Do you want the place closing? Or do you want the income? If you want to report it, then do so - but be prepared for your job to disappear in a second. If that's what you want, fine. But I'm really not sure what it is that you are trying to achieve here.
    Lol, what? Read my post above, this isn't about that. Yes the place is closing, but (as I mentioned previously) it could be any time after July. I have decided to stay at the job, however I want to know what will happen if it suddenly gets closed down after the health check which could be as soon as next week. The fact the place might only have months left is irrelevant - Literally ANY food place can be shut down for hygiene reasons, it doesn't matter how long they have left. They aren't going to say "oh you're selling up anyway so we will let you get away with it."

What I'm trying to achieve is any kind of knowledge on whether or not it would be best to report it before the health check, to ensure WE don't get into trouble or get our catering safety certificates taken away. If I ignore it and let the check happen, then what will happen then in terms of our wages? Will the place close indefinitely or could it close for a few weeks and then re-open? Will we get pay for the time it is closed?

I don't want to wait until the day it happens, I need some advice on how to handle the situation now. I'm not the type to "just do nothing and wait to see what happens" I find it a bit difficult to comprehend how you could happily do that and think it would be the best option?
    Last edited by Miowzolite; 06-07-2018 at 7:51 PM.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 6th Jul 18, 7:48 PM
    • 16,736 Posts
    • 42,224 Thanks
    elsien
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:48 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:48 PM
    As a worker your employer has a duty of care but you have an obligation towards your own health and safety. So have you reported any of these issues?
    It's no use complaining to each other about unsafe environments if you don't bother to do anything about it.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Miowzolite
    • By Miowzolite 6th Jul 18, 7:50 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Miowzolite
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:50 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:50 PM
    Thanks, as I asked in the question, is there any way to anonymously report it? And who to?
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 6th Jul 18, 7:53 PM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 2,593 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:53 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:53 PM
    https://www.food.gov.uk/contact/consumers/report-problem
    • Miowzolite
    • By Miowzolite 6th Jul 18, 7:58 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Miowzolite
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:58 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:58 PM
    Thanks Very helpful, much better than "I guess you'll find out..." lool.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 6th Jul 18, 8:02 PM
    • 1,859 Posts
    • 2,030 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 6th Jul 18, 8:02 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 8:02 PM
    If you are seriously concerned about safety and hygiene you can report your worries to environmental health.
    Takings of 5 ? Regardless of any hygiene inspection results wouldn't that be enough to close it anyway? !
    If you are leaving I wouldn't bother doing anything. Just don't take your mates there for coffee!
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 6th Jul 18, 8:07 PM
    • 5,122 Posts
    • 5,616 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    I'm sorry but what do you think will happen if it gets closed down. You will have no job is what will happen. I can't work out what other answer you are expecting. If it closes you will need to get another job or claim JSA/UC.
    • Miowzolite
    • By Miowzolite 6th Jul 18, 10:04 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Miowzolite
    Thanks, as long as our heath n hygiene certificates aren't affected (we need those for other jobs) and we personally will not get into trouble. I'd rather report stuff myself than have that happen - they could question how we managed to get certificates but didn't notice how unsafe the work environment was. But if you're sure that won't happen then I'll take your word for it.

I'm taking it you are saying that if it closes for health n safety reasons then it won't be just for a week or two, it will be for good? So we will be out of a job for definite? Thanks that's all I really needed to know.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 6th Jul 18, 10:46 PM
    • 38,727 Posts
    • 35,514 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Presumably you have your health / hygiene certificates at home, in your own possession, so no-one's going to be able to take them away and they won't be rescinded unless there is some kind of national database of who holds appropriate qualifications to work in the food sector. I'm pretty sure no such database exists, there is no register of suitably qualified people you have to be on.

Seriously, this place is failing fast. Get another job if you need the income. Get another job if you want to know what's going to happen. You won't get that here.

If it's closed following the hygiene inspection, no-one can say how long it will be closed for: if the manager deals with it with the same degree of urgency he's shown so far, it could be some time. Also the shopping centre may wake up to the lease situation, demand an increase and backdate it, or just pass the lease to someone else.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 6th Jul 18, 10:54 PM
    • 4,829 Posts
    • 8,133 Thanks
    sangie595
    I'm sorry but what do you think will happen if it gets closed down. You will have no job is what will happen. I can't work out what other answer you are expecting. If it closes you will need to get another job or claim JSA/UC.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    ^^^ This ^^^^

Which is exactly why it isn't clear what you actually want. If you all have qualifications in safety and hygiene, you either know it meets the standards or it doesn't, and that's been the case for many months- as you've admitted. So you were happy to carry on working in an unsafe and unhygenic environment for a long time, whilst it was making no money. Which doesn't sound very responsible or professional. So if you haven't reported it to date, one has to wonder why you are asking what to do now, or what answer you are expecting. It isn't as though this all suddenly happened. So have you all just come over with a dose of conscience, professionalism or something else? It's hard to rationalise why you haven't reported unsafe and unhygenic food preparation in all those months up to now if it matters so much to you.
    • Miowzolite
    • By Miowzolite 7th Jul 18, 9:27 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Miowzolite
    Which is exactly why it isn't clear what you actually want. If you all have qualifications in safety and hygiene, you either know it meets the standards or it doesn't, and that's been the case for many months- as you've admitted. So you were happy to carry on working in an unsafe and unhygenic environment for a long time, whilst it was making no money. Which doesn't sound very responsible or professional. So if you haven't reported it to date, one has to wonder why you are asking what to do now, or what answer you are expecting. It isn't as though this all suddenly happened. So have you all just come over with a dose of conscience, professionalism or something else? It's hard to rationalise why you haven't reported unsafe and unhygenic food preparation in all those months up to now if it matters so much to you.
    Read my other comments - we've been trying to fix it for a long time, but now the health and hygiene people have phoned to say they are coming, so we could be closed down. That is why NOW this is serious. Although if we are not personally affected then I don't care that much, as the owner does not care despite his months and months of being nagged both by us and by the team who run the shopping center. We contacted the leaders of our chain about it as well, all they did was send somebody to look at stuff, say it's bad, and say they'd get in touch with the shop owner - but nothing was done.

It's not sudden dose of conscience, as my posts say all I really care about is if the health and hygiene check will affect US. If we will get shut down NOW that they are coming. If we are suddenly shut down (which AGAIN I don't care about) I wanted to know if we would be financially supported. Someone has answered that now so... yeah.

If you have any other questions please read my posts, as I've answered most of what you asked in the ones after the original. Or in the case of "Why suddenly now?!" it was answered in the original.
    Last edited by Miowzolite; 07-07-2018 at 9:30 AM.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 7th Jul 18, 11:34 AM
    • 4,829 Posts
    • 8,133 Thanks
    sangie595
    I think you are missing the point. Unsafe working conditions and the selling of unhygenic food is always important. But it doesn't seem to have any importance to you until that phone call came - because if it had then you'd have reported it, and it is very easy to find out how to report it. If potentially harming people wasn't critical to you (or the shopping centre) for the last however many months, then I wouldn't be keen to eat anywhere that any of you worked. It seems that reporting it is only now of interest because you want to be able to say it was closed down. You didn't report it. You didn't get a better job. So it doesn't seem that you really had any concerns at all. You may not be culpable, but you may as well be. You stood around for months and allowed this to continue.
    • Miowzolite
    • By Miowzolite 7th Jul 18, 1:52 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Miowzolite
    The only people whose safety is at risk are mine and the other girl who works here. Theres no unhygienic food, we only sell crisps and small packaged cakes, we dont even have any plates or cutlery. The only food related issue is that we just dont have toilets and food places are supposed to have them if customers can sit in, and we have 4 stools so they could do this. Not having hot water for the sink isnt harming people, as we can boil it using a kettle, and all our cups are disposable anyway. Not having toilets is apparently fine according to the shopping Center as we are considered a kiosk. The only people who are at risk are us, due to the hot water spraying everywhere. But it is far away from customers and behind a thick barrier. The safety hazards are not affecting any customers at all. The health people would shut it down because OUR safety is at risk, no one elses.
    Last edited by Miowzolite; 07-07-2018 at 2:22 PM.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 7th Jul 18, 2:46 PM
    • 38,727 Posts
    • 35,514 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    there are many shopping centres where the food 'kiosks' do not have their own toilets but people can 'sit in'. Motorway service centres are another fine example: there's one set of toilets, and multiple food outlets.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • Miowzolite
    • By Miowzolite 7th Jul 18, 3:33 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Miowzolite
    So we may pass the hygiene check after all? In that case guess Ill let them go through with it. Thanks.

Sorry for being so uncertain about this type of thing, beverage service isnt really my area tbh. I spent 8 years in RAF recruitment and wanted something a little more laid back for a while, but this is a little too disorganised for my liking. Got an interview with my local police service next week for a similar office position doing DBS checks, so hopefully that will go well.
    Last edited by Miowzolite; 07-07-2018 at 5:37 PM.
    • aife
    • By aife 7th Jul 18, 9:07 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    aife
    Are you the same person that posted before about your colleague not doing their job and the manager being abroad and not really caring ?
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 8th Jul 18, 12:00 AM
    • 3,807 Posts
    • 9,618 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Are you the same person that posted before about your colleague not doing their job and the manager being abroad and not really caring ?
    Originally posted by aife
    I got gnored when I asked this ........
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

1,464Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin