PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

rent, buy, shared ownership - one with bad credit

Options
I have a dilemma and I am hoping that you can help guide me In the right direction.

Currently my partner and I live separately and also 170 miles apart, we have decided now is the time for us to live together. Problem is we are not sure if we should rent or buy, or even shared ownership

The rent option:
The reason being is I have a very bad credit score including a CCJ (yes stupid I know) and would not be accepted for rent by myself etc, question is would we be accepted together if we were looking to rent etc, I am in the process of dealing with my debts but also have a job that pays well. Or would it be best my partner rents himself and i just get named on the tenancy but my partner takes repsonsibility on the agreement, or sole tenancy?

The mortgage and shared ownership option:
My Partner has a large deposit, i would pay him monthly my part of the money going out until my credit is sorted and i get added on the list.

I am not sure how it works if he gets a mortage and they take into account my salary in order for us to get a bigger mortgage, will they look at my credit file?

Feeling penalised due to young stupid mistakes but I am trying to sort. Just want to know the best options for us both

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you havent lived together before I would say rent for a year or 2. Give you enough time to sort out your CCJ, time heals all credit history.

If your still together in 2 years then by all means buy somewhere together and live happily ever after, do have write a Deed of Trust though to protect your partner's deposit, just in case you dont manage it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure