PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Service charge payment - up front/monthly/quarterly

Options
I bought a new build property earlier this year and upon completion paid a number of months service charge up front, I believe this is standard practice.

Today I received a welcome letter from the management company, demanding that from September I pay the full year's monthly service charge for September 18 - August 19.

Is this reasonable? From all my friends and family who have ever lived in a leasehold they have always paid either monthly or quarterly. Is this a legal requirement?

I am going to check my lease later to double check the terms there too.

Any insight welcome!

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    energy1x wrote: »
    Is this reasonable? From all my friends and family who have ever lived in a leasehold they have always paid either monthly or quarterly. Is this a legal requirement?

No - there is no legal requirement like that.
    I am going to check my lease later to double check the terms there too.

Your lease will be the place to get the definitive answer - that you must adhere to.

Some management cos might offer to give you different terms (e.g. monthly payment) which you are free to accept or reject. But they can only insist on whatever terms are in the lease.
  • energy1x
    energy1x Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.

Checked my lease and I'm staggered - it does indeed state that the rent needs to be paid in advance on demand annually.

Is it worth asking for a monthly payment?

It's not a problem of paying, it is more a problem that whenever I decide to sell in future I have to time it so that I do not lose out on paying the service charge benefitting the new buyer/owner of the property!
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It's not a problem of paying, it is more a problem that whenever I decide to sell in future I have to time it so that I do not lose out on paying the service charge benefitting the new buyer/owner of the property!

That won't be a problem.

If you sell, say, 5 months into the year - your solicitor should ensure that the new owner refunds you 7 months worth of the service charge.

Is it worth asking for a monthly payment?

You can certainly ask - but I doubt that it will work in the way you expect...

The full year payment will probably be due in September - but you would pay it over 12 monthly installments.

So even if you sell in October, you would still owe 11 months worth of installments...

... but as I mentioned above, the new owner will refund the 11 months worth to you.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Whereas all the leaseholds that me or my friends have ever lived in have always been due annually, I've always believed that that was the standard position. Just shows to show how relying on a small sample size provides useless data.
  • energy1x
    energy1x Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    Slithery wrote: »
    Whereas all the leaseholds that me or my friends have ever lived in have always been due annually, I've always believed that that was the standard position. Just shows to show how relying on a small sample size provides useless data.

Hence my question, to widen the data sample!

Thanks for all the replies, given me a wider perspective. I'll ask for monthly payments but I know next to no chance of it
  • wlondoner
    wlondoner Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My service charge is paid monthly

It would put me off a property paying it annually especially if the amount is high
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure