Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • energy1x
    • By energy1x 5th Jul 18, 5:02 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 3Thanks
    energy1x
    Service charge payment - up front/monthly/quarterly
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:02 PM
    Service charge payment - up front/monthly/quarterly 5th Jul 18 at 5:02 PM
    I bought a new build property earlier this year and upon completion paid a number of months service charge up front, I believe this is standard practice.

Today I received a welcome letter from the management company, demanding that from September I pay the full year's monthly service charge for September 18 - August 19.

Is this reasonable? From all my friends and family who have ever lived in a leasehold they have always paid either monthly or quarterly. Is this a legal requirement?

I am going to check my lease later to double check the terms there too.

Any insight welcome!
Page 1
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 5th Jul 18, 5:10 PM
    • 6,886 Posts
    • 6,806 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:10 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:10 PM
    Is this reasonable? From all my friends and family who have ever lived in a leasehold they have always paid either monthly or quarterly. Is this a legal requirement?
    Originally posted by energy1x
    No - there is no legal requirement like that.

I am going to check my lease later to double check the terms there too.
    Your lease will be the place to get the definitive answer - that you must adhere to.

Some management cos might offer to give you different terms (e.g. monthly payment) which you are free to accept or reject. But they can only insist on whatever terms are in the lease.
    • energy1x
    • By energy1x 5th Jul 18, 5:16 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    energy1x
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:16 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:16 PM
    Thanks for your reply.

Checked my lease and I'm staggered - it does indeed state that the rent needs to be paid in advance on demand annually.

Is it worth asking for a monthly payment?

It's not a problem of paying, it is more a problem that whenever I decide to sell in future I have to time it so that I do not lose out on paying the service charge benefitting the new buyer/owner of the property!
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 5th Jul 18, 5:28 PM
    • 6,886 Posts
    • 6,806 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:28 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:28 PM
    It's not a problem of paying, it is more a problem that whenever I decide to sell in future I have to time it so that I do not lose out on paying the service charge benefitting the new buyer/owner of the property!
    That won't be a problem.

If you sell, say, 5 months into the year - your solicitor should ensure that the new owner refunds you 7 months worth of the service charge.

Is it worth asking for a monthly payment?
    You can certainly ask - but I doubt that it will work in the way you expect...

The full year payment will probably be due in September - but you would pay it over 12 monthly installments.

So even if you sell in October, you would still owe 11 months worth of installments...

... but as I mentioned above, the new owner will refund the 11 months worth to you.
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 5th Jul 18, 5:41 PM
    • 819 Posts
    • 1,282 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:41 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:41 PM
    Whereas all the leaseholds that me or my friends have ever lived in have always been due annually, I've always believed that that was the standard position. Just shows to show how relying on a small sample size provides useless data.
    • energy1x
    • By energy1x 5th Jul 18, 7:32 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    energy1x
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:32 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:32 PM
    Whereas all the leaseholds that me or my friends have ever lived in have always been due annually, I've always believed that that was the standard position. Just shows to show how relying on a small sample size provides useless data.
    Originally posted by Slithery
    Hence my question, to widen the data sample!

Thanks for all the replies, given me a wider perspective. I'll ask for monthly payments but I know next to no chance of it
    • wlondoner
    • By wlondoner 6th Jul 18, 2:39 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    wlondoner
    • 6th Jul 18, 2:39 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 2:39 AM
    My service charge is paid monthly

It would put me off a property paying it annually especially if the amount is high
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,368Posts Today

7,980Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin