Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kumamanu
    • By kumamanu 5th Jul 18, 2:09 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kumamanu
    New job, New driver, Second hand or Hire purchase?
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:09 PM
    New job, New driver, Second hand or Hire purchase? 5th Jul 18 at 2:09 PM
    I'm 18 and starting my new job on 18k a year in September. I need a car to get to my job efficiently. My parent advised me to purchase new but looking around i'm being told that second hand is safest. However most of the online sources i've looked at seem to be based on the fact that the parent is purchasing it. If i am paying for the car in it entirety on my own should i go for second hand or new on hire purchase?
    Bonus points if you have car suggestions?
    thanks!
Page 1
    • caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 5th Jul 18, 2:23 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    caprikid1
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:23 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:23 PM
    How far are you commuting ? What fall back options do you have in terms of public transport, what job is it ?
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 5th Jul 18, 2:29 PM
    • 10,424 Posts
    • 7,811 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:29 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:29 PM
    18?? buy a cheapie used car (around 500), based on how much it costs to insure as that will be your biggest cost. Then you're not tied in to any 2/3/whatever year finance, and if you write it off you won't a. be too upset and b. still be paying finance on it.

Worked well for my oldest, he still has the car 2 years on
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • Arklight
    • By Arklight 5th Jul 18, 2:37 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 2,464 Thanks
    Arklight
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:37 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:37 PM
    Your insurance premiums on a new car at 18 are likely to be astronomical. Have you run any quotes?

Secondarily (well this is a moneysaving site), great work on getting a job, but 18k per annum does not afford a new car lifestyle, financially.

Get a run around with a reputation for bomb proof reliability, that you aren't going to be too upset at dinking on a bollard or five while you're learning to not be a learner driver, use it for a few years then see where you are financially.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201806307982275?postcode=bd63xe&make=NISSAN&advert ising-location=at_cars&sort=sponsored&model=ALMERA&onese archad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=N ew&radius=1501&page=1
    • kumamanu
    • By kumamanu 5th Jul 18, 3:25 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kumamanu
    • 5th Jul 18, 3:25 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 3:25 PM
    How far are you commuting ? What fall back options do you have in terms of public transport, what job is it ?
    It's a 30 mile, 40 minute drive every morning, 5 times a week. My only alternative is the train which costs 30 - 20 to get a 2 hour train which is not practical.

18?? buy a cheapie used car (around 500), based on how much it costs to insure as that will be your biggest cost. Then you're not tied in to any 2/3/whatever year finance, and if you write it off you won't a. be too upset and b. still be paying finance on it.
    My only worry is the reliability of a car at this price level and whether maintenance costs would be an issue.

Get a run around with a reputation for bomb proof reliability, that you aren't going to be too upset at dinking on a bollard or five while you're learning to not be a learner driver, use it for a few years then see where you are financially.
    This seems like solid advice, and i appreciate the car you've linked, but it located in Leeds and I live in London hahaha. Either way it has given me a good idea of what to look for
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Jul 18, 3:28 PM
    • 64,919 Posts
    • 381,089 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 5th Jul 18, 3:28 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 3:28 PM
    Only wealthy people and companies buy new ... in the main.

For a first, second, third car.... 2nd hand is always cheapest. You'll appreciate buying 2nd hand when your grubby mates want a lift home from the pub "as you're the only one with a car"..... and leave their discarded chip papers and some old sort's knickers in the back
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 5th Jul 18, 3:50 PM
    • 2,981 Posts
    • 1,682 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 5th Jul 18, 3:50 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 3:50 PM
    Buy a gen 8 civic 2.2 diesel for 2000 or less with good history until you can afford something else.

I used to suggest 1.9 tdi vag engined car, golf/bora/A3/A4/Fabia/Octavia but the Civics I have had are miles better to drive and run in my experience.

Dont buy a new one or one on HP/PCP/Lease.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 5th Jul 18, 4:04 PM
    • 5,234 Posts
    • 5,157 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:04 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:04 PM
    Originally posted by Arklight
    Are you still trying to sell that car!

As per others, 2nd hand all the way. A few pointers:

1. Take someone knowledgeable with you to look at cars
    2. You'll get more bang-for-buck buying private at the lower end of the market (hence point 1 above)
    3. Finance costs (for a new/recent car) will usually dwarf maintenance costs for an older car
    4. Avoid going for a Corsa or similar - these are common "boy racer" cars and so insurance is astronomical for young drivers. A non-cool car (like an Almera ) will be far cheaper to insure.

Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 5th Jul 18, 5:19 PM
    • 3,764 Posts
    • 2,808 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:19 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:19 PM
    My only alternative is the train which costs 30 - 20 to get a 2 hour train which is not practical.
    Originally posted by kumamanu
    By the time you'd paid for the monthly car payments, insurance, tax and servicing that 20-30 for the train may seem like a bargain in comparison.
    • grant8064
    • By grant8064 5th Jul 18, 6:07 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    grant8064
    Buy a gen 8 civic 2.2 diesel for 2000 or less with good history until you can afford something else.

I used to suggest 1.9 tdi vag engined car, golf/bora/A3/A4/Fabia/Octavia but the Civics I have had are miles better to drive and run in my experience.

Dont buy a new one or one on HP/PCP/Lease.
    Originally posted by foxy-stoat
    2.2 and 1.9 diesels...the guys 18, won't have a chance getting insured.

My two penneth would be an 09 - 13 plate Ka. Sell loads of them to youngsters and they're great. Group 3 insurance, perfectly good for longish journeys and much more refined than an Aygo, C1 or 107. Nice ones can be had for 3000 - 5000.
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 5th Jul 18, 9:34 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 420 Thanks
    angrycrow
    The issue with typical small new driver cars promoted for their low insurance groups is that insurers don't use the insurance group to price. The insurers look at the number of claims on a particular model and the cost of the claims. New drivers are more prone to crashing so the small Corsa and fiesta type cars become more expensive to insurer. The 1.4 fiesta I bought a few years ago was the most expensive to insure car I had ever owned. BMW or merc was cheaper to insure.

Look at kia or hyundai as these are not popular with boy racers.

Run some quotes to get an idea of cost but make sure your facts are all correct. Estimate your mileage then double it as you will do far more than you think. Based on 30 miles each way your commute will be 15000 miles a year before you look at social use so you will need to declare 20000 to 25000 miles per annum. Combined with living in London, your age and being a new driver insurance costs will be eye watering on any car.

You will struggle to get an affordable rate on a new car as most are capped at around 10000 miles a year and charges can be 10p for each mile over. Over three years at 25000 a year you could end up with a bill for 4500 when you return the car.

Finally buy a well maintained older car just not anything like the Almera, it's become a bit of a bad joke on these pages.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 5th Jul 18, 10:00 PM
    • 10,424 Posts
    • 7,811 Thanks
    GunJack
    3. Finance costs (for a new/recent car) will usually dwarf maintenance costs for an older car
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Sorry, but this is plain wrong. It's not just the amount of interest, it's the total payments.

For example, my oldest bought his car for 450, put it through the first MoT for...err...0, put it through the second MoT for 220, so minimum 2.5 years of motoring for 670 and still owns the car to sell to get something back even if he doesn't put it through the next MoT. 35 for oil & air filter and oil and it's good to go. How many months of a PCP etc can you get for 700 (and still not own the car )

Buy well cheaply and it'll save you a packet
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 5th Jul 18, 11:56 PM
    • 3,062 Posts
    • 4,547 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    Sorry, but this is plain wrong. It's not just the amount of interest, it's the total payments.

For example, my oldest bought his car for 450, put it through the first MoT for...err...0, put it through the second MoT for 220, so minimum 2.5 years of motoring for 670 and still owns the car to sell to get something back even if he doesn't put it through the next MoT. 35 for oil & air filter and oil and it's good to go. How many months of a PCP etc can you get for 700 (and still not own the car )

Buy well cheaply and it'll save you a packet
    Originally posted by GunJack
    Err... that's what DoaM was saying!?
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Jul 18, 8:57 AM
    • 5,234 Posts
    • 5,157 Thanks
    DoaM
    Err... that's what DoaM was saying!?
    Originally posted by RichardD1970
    Exactly ... I'm so glad to be wrong and have the person calling me wrong say pretty much the same thing as I did.

I can see why GJ may have misread what I posted; but the other bullets should have made it clear what I meant.
    Last edited by DoaM; 06-07-2018 at 9:00 AM.
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 6th Jul 18, 9:04 AM
    • 10,424 Posts
    • 7,811 Thanks
    GunJack
    Exactly ... I'm so glad to be wrong and have the person calling me wrong say pretty much the same thing as I did.

I can see why GJ may have misread what I posted; but the other bullets should have made it clear what I meant.
    May I direct you to the Campaign For Clear English Sir?!?!?

....no offence, of course
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Jul 18, 9:07 AM
    • 5,234 Posts
    • 5,157 Thanks
    DoaM
    But, but ... I live in Scotland!
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 6th Jul 18, 9:31 AM
    • 10,424 Posts
    • 7,811 Thanks
    GunJack
    But, but ... I live in Scotland!
    That's even worse then, you're the Northern part of the Celtic Bretheren, we should be able to understand each other no matter what (unless you're from Glasgow, obviously )
    • Arklight
    • By Arklight 6th Jul 18, 9:40 AM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 2,464 Thanks
    Arklight
    Seemed quite clear to me. Finance payments on a new car will dwarf (be much larger than) maintenance costs on an old one. Unless possibly if it's a Vauxhall Corsa.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Jul 18, 1:37 PM
    • 5,234 Posts
    • 5,157 Thanks
    DoaM
    That's even worse then, you're the Northern part of the Celtic Bretheren, we should be able to understand each other no matter what (unless you're from Glasgow, obviously )
    Originally posted by GunJack
    Actually I'm a Geordie, working undercover to try and persuade the locals to start supporting England in the World Cup ....

Most pubs advertising that they're showing the World Cup also seem to end it with ABE
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Jul 18, 1:38 PM
    • 5,234 Posts
    • 5,157 Thanks
    DoaM
    Unless possibly if it's a Vauxhall Corsa.
    Originally posted by Arklight
    In which case the insurance quotes (for either new or old) will dwarf BOTH finance costs and maintenance costs.
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

55Posts Today

2,574Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin