What are my rights

1 year ago over a dozen large trees were chopped down from the land at the back of my property by a real estate developer. This spring I have several roots sprouting trees in my garden. I have tried pulling them up and weedkiller to remove them but they keep growing back. Is this just a coincidence or is it as I believe due to the trees coming down. What rights do I have to ask the developer to pay to remove these as they are all over my garden?

Comments

• Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Most likely the root system spawning shoots now that the main trunk is gone. As far as 'm aware, you really don't have any rights for something trivial like this.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    What sort of trees?

Could be seed rather than roots.
  • What sort of trees?

Could be seed rather than roots.

Not sure of the actual type of tree but definitely coming from the roots as they too are visible
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Perfectly normal. I have roots producing shoots all over the place, ranging from those maybe 4 metres from my elm hedge to others I cannot guess the exact origins of, but related to plum or cherry trees.

None of these trees has been cut or cut down in the last ten years. Some species are just more prone to do this than others.

While the builder's actions may have stimulated growth like this, I think you would struggle to prove a causal link, but even if you could, there would be no liability. Builders usually have excellent legal connections too!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure