Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • blueball
    • By blueball 5th Jul 18, 7:33 AM
    • 20Posts
    • 1Thanks
    blueball
    Buying parents housing association property.
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:33 AM
    Buying parents housing association property. 5th Jul 18 at 7:33 AM
    My dad has right to buy on his housing association house. He is retired and receives housing and council tax benefit. I want to buy his property with cash.

I phoned up the housing association and they said I can buy his house and put my name on the deeds (the house will be sold to me through his right to buy giving me a 50% discount)

My questions are as follows:

What impact will this have on his housing benefit, if my name is on the the deeds would it be classed as deprivation of capital.

What impact will this have on his council tax support, is this benefit effected by renting from family?
Page 1
    • mrginge
    • By mrginge 5th Jul 18, 7:44 AM
    • 4,619 Posts
    • 8,733 Thanks
    mrginge
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:44 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:44 AM
    I!!!8217;m not sure if this is a sensible use of council funds tbh.
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 5th Jul 18, 7:56 AM
    • 5,039 Posts
    • 20,202 Thanks
    Merlin139
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:56 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 7:56 AM
    If you are getting a 50% discount to buy a house that is part of social housing and you can afford to buy it Cash. Why do you need to be charging your father rent and expect the Tax Payer to pay his rent?

Deprivation of capital? Your father does not own the house so how does this come into the equation unless its his money you are using?

The Council Tax will be paid by the tenant providing rent is paid.

Housing benefit will be paid by council on a property owed by a family member.
    3.975 kWp PV SolarEdge System South Facing 10% Shading Installed 21 May 2014 Located in Mid East Yorkshire.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 5th Jul 18, 8:00 AM
    • 12,907 Posts
    • 18,556 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:00 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:00 AM
    I do wonder if this thread is a wind up. I do not believe for one minute that the housing association is allowing you to bypass your father, the one with the secure tenancy, to give you his discount and sell his home from under him.

As a housing association tenant does he even have the right to buy? I smell a rat.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 5th Jul 18, 8:04 AM
    • 17,124 Posts
    • 43,158 Thanks
    elsien
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:04 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:04 AM
    What Pixie said. ^^^
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 5th Jul 18, 8:05 AM
    • 6,562 Posts
    • 14,105 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:05 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:05 AM
    If you are getting a 50% discount to buy a house that is part of social housing and you can afford to buy it Cash. Why do you need to be charging your father rent and expect the Tax Payer to pay his rent?

Deprivation of capital? Your father does not own the house so how does this come into the equation unless its his money you are using?

The Council Tax will be paid by the tenant providing rent is paid.

Housing benefit will be paid by council on a property owed by a family member.
    Originally posted by Merlin139
    There are a few ‘nots’ missing from this, ie ‘he will NOT get housing benefit to pay the rent to his son...’

He will not get housing benefit. That simply will not happen.

Council tax support will continue.
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 5th Jul 18, 8:10 AM
    • 5,039 Posts
    • 20,202 Thanks
    Merlin139
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:10 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:10 AM
    There are a few ‘nots’ missing from this, ie ‘he will NOT get housing benefit to pay the rent to his son...’

He will not get housing benefit. That simply will not happen.

Council tax support will continue.
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    The missing word is actually May.
    3.975 kWp PV SolarEdge System South Facing 10% Shading Installed 21 May 2014 Located in Mid East Yorkshire.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 5th Jul 18, 8:12 AM
    • 6,562 Posts
    • 14,105 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:12 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:12 AM
    The missing word is actually May.
    Originally posted by Merlin139
    The missing word is not may (plus you said will and will may doesnt make sense)

Housing benefit would not be paid to someone whose child had bought the property they were renting securely to continue to rent it to them, especially on a RTB discount. Thats the very definition of contrived...
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 5th Jul 18, 8:15 AM
    • 4,880 Posts
    • 3,114 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:15 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:15 AM
    Popcorn comes out again
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 5th Jul 18, 8:17 AM
    • 5,039 Posts
    • 20,202 Thanks
    Merlin139
    The missing word is not may (plus you said will and will may doesnt make sense)

Housing benefit would not be paid to someone whose child had bought the property they were renting securely to continue to rent it to them, especially on a RTB discount. Thats the very definition of contrived...
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    I stand corrected.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 5th Jul 18, 8:41 AM
    • 6,562 Posts
    • 14,105 Thanks
    marliepanda
    I do wonder if this thread is a wind up. I do not believe for one minute that the housing association is allowing you to bypass your father, the one with the secure tenancy, to give you his discount and sell his home from under him.

As a housing association tenant does he even have the right to buy? I smell a rat.
    Originally posted by Pixie5740
    Good point, I had misread the 50% as them buying it between them halfsies...
    • blueball
    • By blueball 18th Jul 18, 8:54 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    blueball
    The money is coming 100% from me.

I've been unable to get a mortgage to buy my own property so am using the money which I have to buy my dads house with cash.

I rang the housing association and they've said as I'm related there's no issue with me buying the house and taking advantage of the 50% discount on offer.

I did phone housing benefit and they said the best way to do it (so he can keep housing benefit) would be to setup a limited company.
    Last edited by blueball; 18-07-2018 at 8:57 PM.
    • Edi81
    • By Edi81 18th Jul 18, 9:02 PM
    • 529 Posts
    • 484 Thanks
    Edi81
    I do not believe for a minute that the housing benefit people said that!
    You make me sick - trying to do the state for your own personal gain.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 18th Jul 18, 9:43 PM
    • 6,963 Posts
    • 6,649 Thanks
    00ec25
    the best way to do it (so he can keep housing benefit) would be to setup a limited company.
    Originally posted by blueball
    excellent idea. By the time you have done that it will have cost you an extra 51% and done taxpayers a very great service.
    • tlc678910
    • By tlc678910 19th Jul 18, 1:13 AM
    • 667 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    tlc678910
    As it is your father who has the right to buy (at a huge discount) it would be disgraceful if someone were able to exercise this right on his behalf and then charge the public purse for him to live in it.

If this is allowed we should be writing to our MPs. Just when you thought you had seen it all with right to buy. What an utter P155 take!

Edit: but I assume he would have to be named on the deeds and would not be allowed to claim housing benefit for a home he owns. I hope so!
    Last edited by tlc678910; 19-07-2018 at 1:18 AM.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 19th Jul 18, 7:53 AM
    • 7,408 Posts
    • 6,175 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    HA rtb has only had a small pilot scheme, do you mean right to acquire? With rta the tenant would become the owner. Impossible to rent to yourself. Which HA is it?

See below.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 20th Jul 18, 1:38 PM
    • 1,915 Posts
    • 1,127 Thanks
    Sncjw
    You would have to set up a proper tenancy agreement. If he doesn!!!8217;t get housing benefit or can!!!8217;t pay the rent will you evict him?
    • jimbo26
    • By jimbo26 20th Jul 18, 3:08 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    jimbo26
    Here's an idea, why don't you support your father rather than expecting the tax payer to do it.
    • blueball
    • By blueball 30th Jul 18, 9:44 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    blueball
    Thanks for the replies so far.

It's definitely called right to buy, the property has been discounted at 50% of the purchase price.

With regards to the use of tax payers money I'm not sure I follow what people are saying. He gets housing benefit, housing associations are companies so regardless if he's paying rent to me or the housing association the cost to the tax payer is the same amount. Why would you rather a faceless company profited as opposed to a family member?

HB advised to form a limited company but I would just like to see if anybody else here has the same experience.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 30th Jul 18, 9:52 PM
    • 29,786 Posts
    • 76,311 Thanks
    Mojisola
    Would you evict your father from his home?

If you would, your father would be mad to let you buy the house.

"The council will refuse your housing benefit claim if it believes that your relative would not evict you even if you can't pay the rent."
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/housing_benefit/housing_benefit_renting_from_family
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

117Posts Today

1,642Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin