Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mike_302
    • By mike_302 4th Jul 18, 10:53 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mike_302
    Getting to the Bottom of "Dividends from Foreign Companies"
    • 4th Jul 18, 10:53 PM
    Getting to the Bottom of "Dividends from Foreign Companies" 4th Jul 18 at 10:53 PM
    This post is referring to the section from the HMRC's "Foreign Notes" document; trying to practically apply it to my stock and ETF situation. The section is quoted here: (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/690703/sa106-notes-2018.pdf)
    Dividends from foreign companies
    In columns A to F put details of any:
    • dividends from foreign companies (use the details on your dividend voucher)
    • distributions (use their value at the date of distribution) from overseas sources, such as, company assets released to shareholders
    Don’t include:
    • distributions from the liquidation of a foreign company
    • distributions from a foreign company that return your capital interest or are in the form of its own stocks and shares
    • stock dividends or bonus shares from a stock dividend issue made by a foreign company

There are specific rules about dividends from offshore funds. If the fund has more than 60% invested in interest bearing assets, any distribution that you receive, or that are reported to you, are treated as interest received. You need to put this under ‘Interest and other income from overseas savings’.

If you’re not sure whether your shares are in an offshore fund, ask your tax adviser.
    As a UK resident paying tax on the arising basis, I have standard stock and ETF positions held in a Canadian account, for companies and ETFs traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. In the past year, I have received dividends (from stocks) and distributions (from ETFs). I only understand bits and pieces of the text above. I don't understand the practical implications of the two underlined items; and I don't understand the practical implications of the last two paragraphs about dividends from offshore funds.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Thanks
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,399Posts Today

7,530Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's FRI Twitter poll: As everyone knows, you're a creative genius with an huge range of highly honed skills.? https://t.co/KV5FHAqK6v

• Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Follow Martin