Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bootcutboy
    • By bootcutboy 2nd Jul 18, 1:40 PM
    • 167Posts
    • 19Thanks
    bootcutboy
    Please help, need a new House Telephone set for my parents asap!
    • 2nd Jul 18, 1:40 PM
    Please help, need a new House Telephone set for my parents asap! 2nd Jul 18 at 1:40 PM
    Hi all

My elderly parents are currently getting dangerous scam calls 5-6 times a day on their house phone but they don’t have any way of knowing who is calling or blocking the numbers.

I notice looking at house phones on Argos that quite a lot now have ‘Nuisance caller blocking’ so can anyone recommend a new Telephone set (2 handsets needed for up/downstairs) that has this scam call/call screening option AND MOST IMPORTANTLY is pretty easy to use, as they are pretty useless with any form of technology really but we can set it up for them.

Budget wise under £50 if possible please, nearer to £30 would be great but we can pay more if certain phone shows will do a brilliant job.

Thank you so much if you ca help us out! !!!128591;
Page 1
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 2nd Jul 18, 7:07 PM
    • 5,709 Posts
    • 16,418 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    • 2nd Jul 18, 7:07 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 7:07 PM
    We have an older version BT phone set , you can put numbers on a VIP list these numbers can get through but anyone else cant , they can leave a message .It cut out completely all the cold callers instantly .

This set seem to have what you are looking for
    544/8894
    Karma bus the most satisfying ride in town
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 2nd Jul 18, 7:10 PM
    • 4,408 Posts
    • 2,519 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 2nd Jul 18, 7:10 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 7:10 PM
    truecall is very good but doesn't fit your budget
    • elsien
    • By elsien 2nd Jul 18, 7:12 PM
    • 16,738 Posts
    • 42,234 Thanks
    elsien
    • 2nd Jul 18, 7:12 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 7:12 PM
    Are they registered with the telephone preference service? It doesn't screen out the abroad ones but should cut out some of them.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 2nd Jul 18, 8:10 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 882 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 2nd Jul 18, 8:10 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 8:10 PM
    https://www.telephonesonline.co.uk/bt-decor-2600-corded-phone-with-advanced-call-blocker.html

Assuming your parents have telephone sockets both upstairs and downstairs, 2 of these (£17.99) should be perfect.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 2nd Jul 18, 8:17 PM
    • 2,774 Posts
    • 1,829 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 2nd Jul 18, 8:17 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 8:17 PM
    We have an older version BT phone set , you can put numbers on a VIP list these numbers can get through but anyone else cant , they can leave a message .It cut out completely all the cold callers instantly .

544/8894
    Originally posted by CHRISSYG

These types of phone are brilliant - not had a scam call in 3 years or more.

Forget about the TPS - only the good boys register - the bad boys don't.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • elsien
    • By elsien 2nd Jul 18, 10:24 PM
    • 16,738 Posts
    • 42,234 Thanks
    elsien
    • 2nd Jul 18, 10:24 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 10:24 PM
    These types of phone are brilliant - not had a scam call in 3 years or more.

Forget about the TPS - only the good boys register - the bad boys don't.
    Originally posted by Robin9
    Worked for me. Apart from the calls from abroad which aren't that frequent, I no longer get cold calls. When I ask them if they're aware I'm registered with the TPS and would they like a large fine, I don't hear from them again.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Nile
    • By Nile 3rd Jul 18, 10:55 AM
    • 14,304 Posts
    • 14,260 Thanks
    Nile
    • 3rd Jul 18, 10:55 AM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 10:55 AM
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘I wanna’ board to the ‘Phones & TV’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 3rd Jul 18, 11:06 AM
    • 610 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    Mister G
    • 3rd Jul 18, 11:06 AM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 11:06 AM
    A refurbished BT8500 Twin set can be had for less than £40 on a well known auction site.

I've had these for about three years now and not one unsolicited call has got through!

You will need Caller ID enabled on the line, but this will be free after 1st October.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 3rd Jul 18, 11:25 AM
    • 10,640 Posts
    • 4,532 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    AS above BT 8500 or 8600 .
    Whitelist of contacts the rest get a message to and don't get through .
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 3rd Jul 18, 11:32 AM
    • 2,826 Posts
    • 2,130 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    truecall is very good but doesn't fit your budget
    Originally posted by Lorian
    Indeed, I have one and works well. The advantage of using it is that the existing handsets could be used.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 3rd Jul 18, 12:11 PM
    • 2,402 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    giraffe69
    TPS works in that it cuts down (but doesn't cut out) nuisance calls so IMO its worth doing even if it is not 100% effective.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 3rd Jul 18, 1:05 PM
    • 610 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    Mister G

544/8894
    Originally posted by CHRISSYG
    Looking at the info on the Argos website, this model doesn't appear to have the Truecall functionality. Truecall is a bit cleverer than straight call blocking, as it will allow you to chose if you wish to answer the caller. This may be important if they are someone that you actually want to get through, but are not yet on your 'White list'.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 3rd Jul 18, 1:49 PM
    • 10,640 Posts
    • 4,532 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    TPS works in that it cuts down (but doesn't cut out) nuisance calls so IMO its worth doing even if it is not 100% effective.
    Originally posted by giraffe69

TPS been with them for years and next to useless TSP would be better .

99% of scam calls are not from signed up businesses . Your PC is broke scammers dont sign up to be good boys . Neither do bent UK call centres sign up with TPS .
    • macman
    • By macman 4th Jul 18, 3:58 PM
    • 42,022 Posts
    • 17,467 Thanks
    macman
    Several of the major providers offer call screening at no cost: I'm on Sky Talk Shield and it works well. TT, BT and Plusnet offer a similar service. This option will enable them to retain their existing phone, and is zero-cost.
    What provider are they with?
    Last edited by macman; 04-07-2018 at 4:06 PM.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 4th Jul 18, 9:28 PM
    • 5,709 Posts
    • 16,418 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    Looking at the info on the Argos website, this model doesn't appear to have the Truecall functionality. Truecall is a bit cleverer than straight call blocking, as it will allow you to chose if you wish to answer the caller. This may be important if they are someone that you actually want to get through, but are not yet on your 'White list'.
    Originally posted by Mister G
    I’m a bit anti social lol people that aren’t on the vip list can leave a message !
    Karma bus the most satisfying ride in town
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 6th Jul 18, 10:59 AM
    • 2,338 Posts
    • 1,076 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    BT Call Protect works well & is free........if the OP is with BT of course.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 6th Jul 18, 1:24 PM
    • 2,045 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    Ian011
    BT Call Protect is far inferior to having a trueCall plug-in box, a BT 8500 or 8600 handset with trueCall built in, or a network such as Sky (Sky Shield) or TalkTalk (Talk Safe) that offers trueCall functionality built into the telephone network itself.
    Last edited by Ian011; 06-07-2018 at 2:08 PM.
    • macman
    • By macman 12th Jul 18, 10:10 AM
    • 42,022 Posts
    • 17,467 Thanks
    macman
    In order to use BT Call Protect, is it first necessary to have Caller ID activated on the line?
    Trying to set this up for an elderly person who has fallen victim to 'BT' scam calls.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • anniecave
    • By anniecave 13th Jul 18, 10:28 PM
    • 2,212 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    anniecave
    macman - yes caller id will need to be active on the line for BT call protect to work.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,062Posts Today

5,002Users online

Martin's Twitter