Please help, need a new House Telephone set for my parents asap!

Options
Hi all

My elderly parents are currently getting dangerous scam calls 5-6 times a day on their house phone but they don’t have any way of knowing who is calling or blocking the numbers.

I notice looking at house phones on Argos that quite a lot now have ‘Nuisance caller blocking’ so can anyone recommend a new Telephone set (2 handsets needed for up/downstairs) that has this scam call/call screening option AND MOST IMPORTANTLY is pretty easy to use, as they are pretty useless with any form of technology really but we can set it up for them.

Budget wise under £50 if possible please, nearer to £30 would be great but we can pay more if certain phone shows will do a brilliant job.

Thank you so much if you ca help us out! !!!128591;

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We have an older version BT phone set , you can put numbers on a VIP list these numbers can get through but anyone else cant , they can leave a message .It cut out completely all the cold callers instantly .

This set seem to have what you are looking for
    544/8894
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    truecall is very good but doesn't fit your budget
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,753 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are they registered with the telephone preference service? It doesn't screen out the abroad ones but should cut out some of them.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    https://www.telephonesonline.co.uk/bt-decor-2600-corded-phone-with-advanced-call-blocker.html

Assuming your parents have telephone sockets both upstairs and downstairs, 2 of these (£17.99) should be perfect.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    CHRISSYG wrote: »
    We have an older version BT phone set , you can put numbers on a VIP list these numbers can get through but anyone else cant , they can leave a message .It cut out completely all the cold callers instantly .

This set seem to have what you are looking for
    544/8894

These types of phone are brilliant - not had a scam call in 3 years or more.

Forget about the TPS - only the good boys register - the bad boys don't.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,753 Forumite
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    These types of phone are brilliant - not had a scam call in 3 years or more.

Forget about the TPS - only the good boys register - the bad boys don't.

Worked for me. Apart from the calls from abroad which aren't that frequent, I no longer get cold calls. When I ask them if they're aware I'm registered with the TPS and would they like a large fine, I don't hear from them again.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Options
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘I wanna’ board to the ‘Phones & TV’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A refurbished BT8500 Twin set can be had for less than £40 on a well known auction site.

I've had these for about three years now and not one unsolicited call has got through!

You will need Caller ID enabled on the line, but this will be free after 1st October.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AS above BT 8500 or 8600 .
    Whitelist of contacts the rest get a message to and don't get through .
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lorian wrote: »
    truecall is very good but doesn't fit your budget
    Indeed, I have one and works well. The advantage of using it is that the existing handsets could be used.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure