best card for online purchases

Options
elantan
elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Hi everyone,

posted a thread in budgeting but think this place may be better suited.

Basically I am looking for a card that I can use for online purchases, no other needs really, I want it secure so there is no risk of anyone trying to take money ( had that issue with Poypol) I plan on paying it off every month, dont think I will use it enough to warrant getting cash back or freebies etc

can anyone advise?

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Any credit card will do what you want, just as any credit card could be subject to fraudulent use.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    Any credit card will do what you want, just as any credit card could be subject to fraudulent use.

Yep, and the law is basically the same for all cards. The CC is on the hook for the risk (which they may pass onto merchants), not the cardholder. It is for the CC to prove you authorised the transaction rather than for you to prove it wasn't. In the case of cardholder-not-present transactions, it's difficult for them to prove anything so usually refund without question.

It can still be a hassle though if something goes wrong. So best to follow "best practice". Don't type CC numbers into public computers or where you might be overlooked. Keep your own equipment "clean" - ie virus checked without dodgy bits of software downloaded from dubious websites. Check statements. Don't buy from retailers selling fake goods etc etc. or sites that are apparently UK when they are not. (Eg they have a .co.uk but have US spelling or don't have UK-style T+Cs). Look out for continuous payment authorities - eg to get a discount you "subscribe" to something..

The list is endless. I've been buying online since the 1990s. Not had an online fraud so far and buy every week. Probably broken some of the rules above too!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure